Notices

custom supercharger anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom supercharger anyone?

does anyone have a setup that is not a jr setup?
i am currently finishing up the fab on my own personal setup .
would like to collaborate with someone that has done something like this before .
thanks .

here is mine , like stated before its still not finished by no means and was built with parts we had laying around lol it is a prototype .. and yes its dirty .
the welds were done with a spoll gun ,
my final product will be tig welded with brand new everything .

but here is goes , its a eaton e90 mounted to a d16y7 intake manifold. of course it wasnt that simle ..
but we added a full throttle by pass valve. to make it streetable if we wanted it to be.
Attached Images    

Last edited by 88HATCH(:; 03-17-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added more info ..
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: custom supercharger anyone?

still in the planning phase on mine but the details arent public
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There was a guy in the build forum a while back that was doing one with an eaton... I'll see if I can find the thread.. Take a look around in there though... it was a cool build!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/anyone-interested-500-whp-supercharger-kit-1997913/

Here but who knows if it's ever going to be done.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am building one with a Sprintex S5-335, a custom ATI 8-rib pulley, and double sided belt. Here's a picture that I have posted before:

Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^That looks pretty good, how much weight is that SC?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic2liters
I am building one with a Sprintex S5-335, a custom ATI 8-rib pulley, and double sided belt. Here's a picture that I have posted before:

very intresting ! loving it bro !

mine cosists of a eaton m90. working on finishing up the design on the bogey shaft .
im working on getting pictures up and loaded for everyone to see.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing that sucks is having to mount it facing away from the belt side of the motor to get the charger to be spun clockwise, and setting up a belt and pulley system to run off the drive of the engine, because the SC's pulley is on the other side of the engine.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
^That looks pretty good, how much weight is that SC?
Thank you! According to their website, it is about 9.9 pounds.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 88HATCH(:
very intresting ! loving it bro !

mine cosists of a eaton m90. working on finishing up the design on the bogey shaft .
im working on getting pictures up and loaded for everyone to see.
Thanks! Everything has been welded and just needs some finishing touches and then a dyno tune.

I just had a question, is your D16 stroked or bored? It will be interesting to see how a 1.6 engine responds to a 1.5 blower.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic2liters
Thanks! Everything has been welded and just needs some finishing touches and then a dyno tune.

I just had a question, is your D16 stroked or bored? It will be interesting to see how a 1.6 engine responds to a 1.5 blower.
im very curious to see the numbers it produces !
it was originally going on a sohc ZC but the customer decided against it ..
so im going to be cutting the intake flange off and welding a b series flange.
its goning to be installed on my b18a1.

one thing im looking forward to is the bogey shaft . being that theres gonna be double the pulleys i can get diffrent sizes to keep boost fairly low .

we have this same supercharger , just on a custom vw rabbit motor. with weber side draft carbs.
the demon spolls soooo fast it spins the key way of the crank pulley ! and thats at 32lbs..
Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know i'm digging this from the grave. sorry guys. I just want to know what happened when that guy slapped it on a b18. i'd like to see pics of the setup and the dyno chart.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I wonder if it ever got finished even... just looking at the photo of how it is mounted, I wondered if it would even clear the front core support with respect to how far forward it extends from the front of the engine.

Then again, sometimes life just gets in the way... I know my own projects take far longer than they should.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yea you don't have to explain how that goes. My projects take 4-5 times longer on average than they should. Like a 3 day sway bar and subframe brace install. I was just interested because i was thinking of doing a custom SC setup myself.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HellaYellaTeg
I know i'm digging this from the grave. sorry guys. I just want to know what happened when that guy slapped it on a b18. i'd like to see pics of the setup and the dyno chart.
The OP, 88Hatch, hasn't been on in a long while
Last Activity: 02-09-2013 10:17 PM
Old 11-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

My problem is customer cars always come first... so finding "extra" time to work on mine always seems to get pushed back.

I just found out my cylinder head will be back from 4Piston next week, so maybe I will treat myself to a fresh running BIG POWER Supercharged engine for Christmas !!! I will have to make time to get it done.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I build custom setups for D16/15 using SC14 off of Previas, build for <$1k.

Has an A/C clutch so I can turn it off on/off with the a/c circuit already in my cars.

I have not taken a lot of pictures

Here is one part of a twincharge setup

Dyno before turbo was supplying any boost yet.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then you're the person I'd like to talk to. It looks like a clean setup man. I would really like to know how you setup an on/off switch. I know the sc14 is originally designed with that electromagnetic clutch system, but how did you make an on off switch for it? also in my build i planned on mounting mine on the back of the block instead of where the compressor was. Is there a reason you mount yours on the front?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then you're the person I'd like to talk to. It looks like a clean setup man. I would really like to know how you setup an on/off switch. I know the sc14 is originally designed with that electromagnetic clutch system, but how did you make an on off switch for it? also in my build i planned on mounting mine on the back of the block instead of where the compressor was. Is there a reason you mount yours on the front?
On/off switch was activated thru my A/C switch on the dash, with the plug that goes to the back of the original a/c compressor jumpered.

The other way would be like wiring a aftermarket fog light with a relay and switch.

The reason I mounter it in front, was there was no room without fabricating complex pulley setup and brackets.

The other reason, was it made it easier route thru intercooler.

Since the SC14 can be ran clockwise or counter clockwise, there was no modifications needed to the internal gearing.

The s/c is fully contained, with oil closes resembles 5w50 castrol syntec.

SC14 displaces 84cid/rev compared to an M46 => 46cid/revs or M63 => 63cid/revs.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You wired the stock button for ac as the clutch engage on the supercharger? That is awesome man! Did you run the wire from the a/c to a wire on the supercharger that activates the clutch? And yes that's why i want to run the sc14. I would also be fine with a m62 off of a Mercedes. they have a clutch system and spin CCW as well. I'm also a fan of running a nice inter-cooler over an ebay one, I saw in his thread his IAT dropped from 138 to 98, and the units are lighter too. And thanks for the comparison in displacement and what gear oil to use. I'm seriously considering going this rout and selling some of my turbo goodies.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You wired the stock button for ac as the clutch engage on the supercharger? That is awesome man! Did you run the wire from the a/c to a wire on the supercharger that activates the clutch? And yes that's why i want to run the sc14. I would also be fine with a m62 off of a Mercedes. they have a clutch system and spin CCW as well. I'm also a fan of running a nice inter-cooler over an ebay one, I saw in his thread his IAT dropped from 138 to 98, and the units are lighter too. And thanks for the comparison in displacement and what gear oil to use. I'm seriously considering going this rout and selling some of my turbo goodies.
Wired to same wires used to activate the clutch on the SC14 as you would on the oem a/c clutch.
Make sure you jumper the harness that normally connects to the pressure switch on the back of the OE a/c compressor.
And just like when you had a/c you have to have blower switch to anywhere but off.

I was seeing the IATs with a edelbrock intercooler with 2" piping to H23 and stock z6 IM <120F deg.
I drove this setup 2400 miles round trip to Seattle and never saw any temp spikes past 130F.

With the much larger intercooler, 3" piping, 70mm TB, stock IM, and HE351ve turbo. With max boost set 30psi <130F deg. Keep in mind I'm not road racing or had the s/c running more than 20min. straight.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is for a daily driver and i'd like the peace of mind haha. I only want a 18x9x2.5 or smaller, it would be nice just to know that i could ride around with the supercharger on always. Plus a 98 integra has the perfect cutout in the bumper for one so it would look badass (not my main reason but doesn't hurt)

So then how do you figure out which wires connect to the other? there are 4 at the clutch relay connector and i have never personally examined the wires on the sc14. Any insight is really helpful.

Also what belt do you use on your setup? Is it a custom crank pulley or are you using the ac belt slot? if so are you just using the ac belt? or find another that actually worked?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions here. But these are two big things i have yet to fully figure out and i'm really curious to see if i could actually put together something custom like this.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a 4rib belt off the stock pulley 41" long, if you look at the picture post you will see the stock civic tensioner I'm using.

In my civic the a/c clutch wire were red and black, does not matter about polarity on the clutch just on/off.

The hardest part of this build was taking the inlet and outlet manifold on the supercharger hacking off what you do not need.
Welding on some cheap aluminum piping on, had take the aluminum to work for welding.

Then I use a large pliers with crimp and make beads on the outlet piping and the rest of the intercooler piping.

If you look closely you can see how I bolted the mount of the SC14 to the alternator bracket. Keep in mind to use a large flat pulley as an idler on the forward bolt with spacers. I later made better spacers to cleanup the look.
The second ear on the SC14 bottom is also bolted in just not in that picture at the time.

Make sure you use lock nuts and two bolts and not one long bolt from pulley thru all the mount ears, there will be too much vibration.

I originally used a thick sheet for the upper bracket on the SC14 then I just bolted a power steering bracket in place and modified a intake manifold to engine block bracket and that help a lot and looked cleaner.

SC14 to intercooler setup. Keep in mind you want to build in some flexibility due to the extra torque that will be made.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those pictures are a HUGE help. Thank you very much for your post man you have been by far the most helpful person in my search for information on setups like this.

Why make the marks on the piping though? just to know where to slide the couplers up to?

Also could this setup clear most aftermarket or stock headers? i was looking through your pictures and saw a few custom sets of headers.

and well dang, i thought there would have been more wires on the SC than that haha thats awesome to only have to worry about two. I'm doing an a/c delete soon so ill wrap the two wires to the clutch and put them to the side.

I'll give you a general layout of how i plan to do mine so far. You seem to be the authority on this kind of thing so please, if it seems out of place let me know.

1998 Lntegra ls. It has a stock engine, cai, hydrolock bypass, 2.5 inch exhaust(with 2.5 inch magnaflow cat) I left the stock header on there cause i planned on installing a turbo kit (chillin in my closet haha) but then i wandered why i'd look into making a custom turbo setup and never a supercharger. I figured i could get more on 8 psi S/C than i could a Turbo, plus it's really unique and TORQUE!!!

mount the SC in place of the ac compressor, (i imagine using a piece that bolts flush to the block, then mounting the SC to it.
fabricate pipes for the induction and expulsion sides of the supercharger
Mount an air filter on induction side
Run hot side to fmic
From the fmic to the Throttle body,
Install a Blow off valve
Install a 1 way valve in the charge piping with a filter (instead of a bypass valve,)
Calculate what size pulley ill need to run the S/C at stock specs (or leave it if it's close enough)
buy a belt that fits the new setup (could be figured out with a tape measure fairly easily)
Run the lines from the ac to the clutch
Baby it to the tuners and tune on neptune.
Do burnouts
Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mount the SC in place of the ac compressor, (i imagine using a piece that bolts flush to the block, then mounting the SC to it.
fabricate pipes for the induction and expulsion sides of the supercharger
Mount an air filter on induction side
Run hot side to fmic
From the fmic to the Throttle body,
Install a Blow off valve
Install a 1 way valve in the charge piping with a filter (instead of a bypass valve,)
Calculate what size pulley ill need to run the S/C at stock specs (or leave it if it's close enough) Just use the stock crank pulley should be good enough. The pulley ratio would dictate what your max revs. should be before spinning the SC14 to fast, SC14 specs says 10k continous and 12k revs instantaneous
buy a belt that fits the new setup (could be figured out with a tape measure fairly easily)
Run the lines from the ac to the clutch I'm assuming you mean wires
Baby it to the tuners and tune on neptune.
Tuning on Neptune will give you option on when to tun on and off s/c in certain gears and revs.
Do burnouts
Some interesting info for you the SC14 is Toyota's #, the manufacture is Oguraclutch and they call them TX15, the third link is the specs I was mentioning.
https://www.oguraclutch.co.jp/e/prod...g/size-img.gif
https://www.oguraclutch.co.jp/e/prod...rger/how.html#
https://www.oguraclutch.co.jp/e/prod...rger/type.html

Here is a photobucket link to an Ausie who installed one on a B20vtec http://s180.photobucket.com/user/Shi...?sort=3&page=1
This may be handy for you.

Last edited by 92cxyd; 11-19-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: custom supercharger anyone?