Notices

currently N/A what do i need to change in my set-up in order to go turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 currently N/A what do i need to change in my set-up in order to go turbo?

b16a head.
port&polished.
buddyclub spec III cams.
buddyclub retainers.
buddyclub valve springs.
skunk2 camgears.
hytech header
itr manifold/ str 68mm TB

b18c1 block.
ls crank/shot peened ls rods
ctr pistons.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: currently N/A what do i need to change in my set-up in order to go turbo?

pistons and rods should be changed out, and while your doing it you might as well make them forged

head should work fine
Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: currently N/A what do i need to change in my set-up in order to go turbo?

how much power you going for?
what type of driving? dd,street, strip?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VtecCarHauler
how much power you going for?
what type of driving? dd,street, strip?
I'm gonna be a daily driver I'm planning on going around from the mid 200's to the high 300's would i be fine with my cams and would i be good with itr pistons
Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

no, itr pistons wont be good, if your going to rebuild the bottom end why not rebuild it the right way with forged pistons?

and yes those cams should be ok with a 1.8l, as long as the manifold is an equal length and not a cast or log
Old 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IF THE CAMS ARE DESIGNED FOR ALLMOTOR PURPOSE I WOULD REPLACE THEM WITH SOME TYPE R ONES
Old 10-03-2010, 05:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by reddcoupe
IF THE CAMS ARE DESIGNED FOR ALLMOTOR PURPOSE I WOULD REPLACE THEM WITH SOME TYPE R ONES
what do you think type r cams are designed for? not to mention that all motor cams are proven to make serious power with B series
Old 10-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Angel4768
b16a head.
port&polished.
buddyclub spec III cams.
buddyclub retainers.
buddyclub valve springs.
skunk2 camgears.
hytech header
itr manifold/ str 68mm TB

b18c1 block.
ls crank/shot peened ls rods
ctr pistons.
not sure on the head, but on the bottom end i would at least have arp rod bolts.

if you plan to keep the ctr pistons id recommend tuning on E85, just because the CR is a bit higher. however you could probably get away with a tune on pump although I dont know how safe it would be.

if you have the cash it would be a better idea to have a forged bottom end. If you have the money to buy new pistons, you could swap in ls pistons which will lower your CR more and make it a bit safer to run on pump.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

usdm itr pistons will be fine oem gsr/ls pistons would be better. ARP rod bolts on stock rods 300-350+ will be no problem especially on e85. You do not need such big cams to make that power but you should be fine regardless. You could run what you have now and make 300 no problem it's just that the tune would need to be on point. Low timing, proper air fuel ratio, e85 or race fuel will make it safer.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where can i get gsr pistons for cheap? and itr camshafts
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm looking at getting some wiseco pistons. what compression ratio should i get with my set up?
8.9:1
10.2:1
12.2:1
13.2:1
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any thing from 9.0 to 10.2 is fine for the amount of power your looking for but later on if you want to bump up the boost you may consider just staying around 9.5:1

have you done a compression check to what you sit at now because its sounds like your set up should be some where around 11.2:1 if so you can easily boost how you are now safely with a set of arp headstuds to 275 whp e85 is a good idea too.

i dont know why every one else has not suggested boosting with your current set up it can be done safely with a couple modifications for your power goals there are plenty of higher compression itrs running lower boost making great power its all in your tune...
why dont you talk to the person who is going to tune it and see how they feel
Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with an ls crank and rods and ctr your compression is in the high 12.9 at least...just buy a spare ls block get eagle rods and 10.2 wisecos...flat pistons are the most efficient..do not boost ur current set up it wont last unless you use race gas...you head is nice those cams are mild enough for turbo...but run a ram horn or top mount if you gonna keep those cams...and 275whp is only fun for 2 weeks...your gonna want more eventualy so just get a built bottom end...depending on ur budget i would buy a already built sleeve block..you can get them cheap on the classified...if not jut get the 10.2 compresion and eagle rods..
Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cibao2ner
with an ls crank and rods and ctr your compression is in the high 12.9 at least...just buy a spare ls block get eagle rods and 10.2 wisecos...flat pistons are the most efficient..do not boost ur current set up it wont last unless you use race gas...you head is nice those cams are mild enough for turbo...but run a ram horn or top mount if you gonna keep those cams...and 275whp is only fun for 2 weeks...your gonna want more eventualy so just get a built bottom end...depending on ur budget i would buy a already built sleeve block..you can get them cheap on the classified...if not jut get the 10.2 compresion and eagle rods..
YUPPP...

or could he just buy lower compression pistons,run a turbo and tune it? Because your compression is pretty darn high I believe...

or he go ls/v..buy ls block build the bottom end, and sell your current bottom end once you swap it out.. your head is ready for ls/v?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cibao2ner
Stock Sleeves I would never run a sleeved block for dd or street/strip car. You should only go sleeved block when your 650whp+ hardcore drag race car.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM

You only need to sleeve if you are boosting more than 16 lbs. boost.
Arias pistons 9.5 :1 / Eagle H beam rods would be my choice for a dependable set up.