Notices

Crx Sounds Like A CHOPPER!!! Why? No power, Fresh Rebuild. Exhaust sounds way to choppy

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:34 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crx Sounds Like A CHOPPER!!! Why? No power, Fresh Rebuild. Exhaust sounds way to choppy

I just rebuilt this motor in my crx, d16a6 motor with vitara pistons and eagle rods, built head (used and known good)

Just got it running and tok it for its maiden voyage tonight, running a xenocron turboedit basemap, dsm 450's and a 3" open d/p

The tach doesnt work so i dont know where its idling at but its a little higher than I think it should be. It idles like a bag, exhaust just counds choppy, like theres a small time gap between each pulse, like a harley and the motor shakes a good bit (but I have hard motor monts)

SO I say expletive it, I think ive got the firing order just fine, new ngk ordinary spark plugs, ngk used wires that are known working

I jump in the car, everything is fresh (including the 6 puck clutch), the clutch was tough as expletive to creep out of the driveway, stalled twice.

But when your driving its just choppy as expletive, no power really, car wasnt going anywhere fast anyways, like a normal person would accellerate I guess ( i wasnt stomping it but I did see the boost gauge go to 3-4psi )

I can get a video tomorrow but itll probably be to loud to hear anything

I need to know how to diagnose this and how to fix it. I want to get tuned friday, and this aint running like a basemap motor I think should
Old 05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crx Sounds Like A CHOPPER!!! Why? No power, Fresh Rebuild. Exhaust sounds way to choppy (PINKS)

could just be the basemap, ive heard of cars not running at all with basemap and then tuned runs perfect. IDK
Old 05-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

chopper or wrx sound is usually when the car is running on only 3 cyls
Old 05-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raceACCORDingly)

maybe its just the cam..the delta 272's are pretty lumpy..or maybe it just needs a good tune,,its not going to run perfect on the basemap..or it could be like the guy above me said,,not running on all 4 cylinders..check the spark plugs 1st

and with the 6 puck clutch ,,if youve never driven with one before it takes some getting used to..
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: (Mr.speaker)

Oh expletive tell me does it ever take some getting used to, i spun the tires the first release, then stall, its easy when your rolling, stops seem hard

I dont think its the tune though, it just runs so dam bad, i'' have video of it tonight, gonna grab spark plugs after work just cause there cheap ones and i reused them
Old 05-10-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Crx Sounds Like A CHOPPER!!! Why? No power, Fresh Rebuild. Exhaust sounds way to choppy (PINKS)

Old 05-10-2006, 07:55 AM

do you have something to control the injectors??? i know that the injectors with out some kind of fuel managment, the car wont idle for ****. it's dumping fuel into the motor and it's too much.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 AM

Running on 3 cyls makes it sound really choppy. Pull one spark plug wire at a time until one of them makes no change in the exhaust note - then you know which is the dead cylinder.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crx Sounds Like A CHOPPER!!! Why? No power, Fresh Rebuild. Exhaust sounds way to choppy (raene)

cam timing \ timing belt correct? sounds like it may be off a few teeth.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's simple, either the ignition is off, timing is off, or the basemap is crap, start eliminating things.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, that thing must have some seriously low compression, is the head milled? because if not isn't the CR in the 7's?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

piston slap
cam noise
af not right.
those i woudl check first
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

Car is a d16a6 obd0 brand new engine with some internal work done to it

I thought it just sounded choppy at idle but when I drove it yesterday it sounded like a bike

Well just now I pulled the spark plugs one by one and 2-4 almost cause the engine to stall out and die, pulled the #1 plug and nothing happened

<FONT SIZE="20">BUT</FONT>

When I was slipping it back in I heard the engine noise grow, clicked it into place and it went back to stutterring

So I pulled it back out a bit, maybe 3/4" and the cylinder starts firing!!!

WTF

So I put in a set of known good magencore wires and it did the same thing, you cna pull it out a bit and the motor sounds mint, sounds perfect, plug it into place and the cylinder stops firing, for 2 sets of wires

WTF would cause this?

I'll post a video in a second