Notices

CRX running way too rich since turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX running way too rich since turbo install

I recently put a Garrett T-25 on my 1990 CRX HF. I am getting a code 3 (MAP sensor), but I am not getting a check engine light. Will the MAP sensor recognize boost and throw off the A/F ratios? My fuel mileage has gone from 58mpg to 34mpg. I thought that maybe since the MAP seen boost it threw the EUC off. So I ran the #21 hose (MAP senor) to the air intake side of the turbo thinking that it would always see vacuum, but that didnt help and then gave me a code 5. I dont want a lot of horsepower. I really like the 58mpg. I realize I may loose some MPG by adding a turbo, but not that bad. I checked all the wiring and tested everything up until the ECU harness. I dont have a test harness to check terminal 11 across 14 to see if the ECU or the MAP is actually bad. Im fairly new to the honda (tuner scene), so please help.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX running way too rich since turbo install (hucoreyCRX)

Im confused by your post. You put a 3 bar map sensor on an untuned turbo car? Even if it was tuned and you put a different map sensor on you would need a retune..
Old 03-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: CRX running way too rich since turbo install (Boostedb20EH2)

What is a 3 bar map sensor? I said I am getting a code 3 from my ECU. Remember, Im a bit new to this stuff. I'm used to old school carb stuff. Thanks for your patience.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh wow my bad
Are you tuned?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:22 PM

No, not at all. I put the turbo on an all OEM car. I have done nothing to it but the turbo. By the way, when I romp on it, (however much you can romp on an HF,lol), and then go back to normal driving, the car really loads up bad when I come back down to idle. Smoke is bascially pours out of the tailpipe when I am sitting at a stoplight.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Um....take it off RIGHT NOW.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostedb20EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um....take it off RIGHT NOW.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously. He's not saying it to be a dick, but more to save your car and the engine. Research a little bit, get the parts you want to reach your power goal, put it together when your ready, and get a tune.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Why, the head mechanic at the Honda dealer said they just put one on an HF and had no troubles. He told me that the ECU would recognize the boost and should not have any troubles, I just had to drive around a bit for it to recognize the turbo. Being a newbie to this forum kinda sucks because I can only post 1 more thread after this until it gets approved. I do believe the ECU is a obd0 also. Lead me in the right direction. I have done as much research on the internet as I possibly can and am finding very little info that I dont already know. Is the map sensor bad? Im not for sure, but I think that the running rich maybe started before the turbo was installed. FYI the car sat for a while (8 months) before I put the turbo on. I smacked an 80lb dog head on and tore the sh** out of the front end. So I cant remember for sure.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure if a head mechanic did it, he followed up with the parts needed to properly turbo it. You said you only put the turbo on, so I'm assuming no injectors. I would think if anything you are running really lean. Any fuel management or engine mangement?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well before you do all that you need to atleast get something tuned on at the very least crome. And the person you spoke to about this..dont take advice from him anymore.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: CRX running way too rich since turbo install (awdgsx96)

Before I do all of what. I still have no direction from anyone. The car runs great under normal driving. Please explain the pouring of smoke after I run it hard. Im not burning any oil or antifreeze. It only does this after I run it hard. Then if I pull the Hazard fuse for the 10 sec to reset, restart the car and drive around, it runs fine. Just bad mileage and NO smoke. If anyone has a cell phone with nationwide calling I could explain better what is happening. I agree that theoretically it would be lean with the added boost, but my mileage does not lie. From 58 to 34?? my number is 419-899-3902. That is if someone can help me out. By the way, my name is Corey.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He only has a 5 post limit for today, right? So if your reading this coreyCRX, post as much as you can in this last post. Lol
Old 03-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Columbus is only a short drive away
Considering you have the necessary parts.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, you got your post in right before mine. The reason why it is running great under normal driving is because your engine is still in vacuum and your not adding pressure to it by boosting it.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostedb20EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh wow my bad
Are you tuned?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i read the same thing... dont feel bad
Old 03-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hucoreyCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why, the head mechanic at the Honda dealer said they just put one on an HF and had no troubles. He told me that the ECU would recognize the boost and should not have any troubles, I just had to drive around a bit for it to recognize the turbo. Being a newbie to this forum kinda sucks because I can only post 1 more thread after this until it gets approved. I do believe the ECU is a obd0 also. Lead me in the right direction. I have done as much research on the internet as I possibly can and am finding very little info that I dont already know. Is the map sensor bad? Im not for sure, but I think that the running rich maybe started before the turbo was installed. FYI the car sat for a while (8 months) before I put the turbo on. I smacked an 80lb dog head on and tore the sh** out of the front end. So I cant remember for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do yourself a favor and run as far away from that mechanic as you can... and dont let him touch your car/give you "turbo" advice again
Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok where to start, the stock honda ECU is not programed to read positive pressure. You need to modify the ECU so it will work with boost pressure. Since your car is obd0, you have limited options compared to the obd1 counterpart. http://www.turboedit.org/ is free sortware that works with obd0. You need to either buy or modify your ecu so the chip that controls ignition and fuel can be altered. You need a chip writer to write your new program to your new chip, and you need a wideband o2 sensor so you acturatly measure air fuel ratio. Oh ya, you need to do a lot of reasearch. It's not as easy as just bolting on a turbo and you're done.

Here are a couple of web pages that might be usefull...
http://www.xenocron.com/?gclid...gt1lA
http://pgmfi.org

Old 03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX running way too rich since turbo install (Topdawgg)

Good read: http://cs.metrostate.edu/~ics2....html