Notices

Crazy smoke, but boosting fine? How long before oil in cc burns off? Searched...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crazy smoke, but boosting fine? How long before oil in cc burns off? Searched...

I sold my old CRX and the guy blew the motor that was in it. I swaped the engine & turbo out for him. At one point the engine was sideways while we were swaping out oil pans. I started up the car and its smoked like crazy ever since. There used to be oil pooled in one of the cylinders but not anymore since we have ran it and drove it. When I say this thing smokes, Im not screwing around. I filled an intersection so thick that you couldnt see from one side of the street to the other. The car is leaking oil from the return a bit, and when I did have a leak on the return, it NEVER smoked that bad and it was leaking worse then it is now. It runs and drives fine (well besides the CYP code). It really smokes bad when accelerting. Its almost like somebody is pouring old into the cc's. I thought that it might be the turbo seal going but then it wouldnt of smoked from the engine exh. (this wasnt just oil and crap burning off BTW I know what that should be like) as bad as it did when we first started it.

So heres what Im coming to the conclusion of-

oil seepage past rings when motor was sitting on its side &
blown turbo seal leaking TONS of oil into the exh now? Also after takin a run up the street and hitting a quick 7psi for about 2-3 seconds when we came back there was a TON of oil in the turbo inlet. The smoke is super white, I thought that oil was blue when it burned off? Makes me wonder if somehow coolant is getting into the cc perhaps? I stuck a tranny pump end down into the cc when there was fluid in it and pulled it out to see some oil in the pick up tube that was stuck down in the cc. I havent any other idea as to what might be causing the smoke. Im using the Hondata IM gasket and I didnt have the little seal for the coolant passage on the RH side of the IM so I RTV'd the gasket (where the coolant passage is only) to the block but not to the IM to gasket...

Whew, that was a lot. Any help or insight would be great.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Crazy smoke, but boosting fine? How long before oil in cc burns off? Searched... (Blaze45)

BTW it does have proper fast-turbo feed and return lines. The last setup NEVER had a problem with feed/return, ie kinks ect.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crazy smoke, but boosting fine? How long before oil in cc burns off? Searched... (Blaze45)

White smoke is most likely coolant.Oil smoke would be blue/black.Is it losing oil or coolant (check radiator/oil dip stick).Oil in the cc would burn out in a couple minutes.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crazy smoke, but boosting fine? How long before oil in cc burns off? Searched... (NJIN BUILDR)

probably the turbo. I had a SC61 that gave me the same problems. If oil is in the turbo inlet then it is the turbo for sure. Pull the turbo off and check it. When you say he blew it up what kind of blow up was it. Alot of time parts go flying through the exhaust manifold and into the turbine side of the turbo.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Crazy smoke, but boosting fine? How long before oil in cc burns off? Searched... (VtecCarHauler)

I dont know what kind of blow up it was but the #3 cyl was dead so Im thinking ringlands or sleeve. The car sat for about 5 months before I worked on it. There was A LOT of oil in the cc when I shined a lil flashlight down there... Not anymore tho.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Brrraaaap!

Anyone else???