Notices

Crankshaft is binding.Any machine shops in Ca Inland empire do align honing?

Old 07-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft is binding.Any machine shops in Ca Inland empire do align honing?

I put a b18 bottom end together last month.I had Napa bore and hone it to my specs for my JE pistons.I put in new main bearings.Im also using a gsr girdle and gsr main caps.I torqued everything down to spec with girdle in place and plastigauged the bottom end and all specs came out fine.Now I have two problems.When I turn the crankshaft with a rachet it binds slightly in a certain spot.The whole bottom end is together silconed and the whole deal.Now next problem is there are no machine shops in my area that do align boring.They only submit machine work to another shop out of town and want $180 for an align hone which is insane.Anyone know of a good shop in the IE thats fair on the price.I believe the Gsr main caps are causing my mains to be out of round but giving me good plastigauge readings.Should I take the whole bottom end apart and get it Align honed? Or should I let it wear itself in?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft is binding.Any machine shops in Ca Inland empire do align honing? (Cloner)

Am I correct to assume that the block is NOT a gsr block? If so, quite possible that plastigage would give good vertical dimensions in an out of round hole.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you put A gsr girdle on a ls bottom end without an align hone? I wonder why it binds....
Old 07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

Yeah plastigauge was even and in spec.Im gonna check to see if the crankshaft is warped.Crankshafts need to be stored vertical I had mine laying down for a couple weeks.Then I'll remeasure bore journals.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cloner)

You CAN'T swap main caps from block to block. You can't even take an original cap and install it backwards without freezing the crank. Does not matter what the plastigage says. Also your crank is not warped.
BTW, $180 is cheap for an align bore but you would have a much better block by using the original caps.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

Thanks.Thats the help im looking for.Guess I'll just pay the $180
The crank spins fine just has a slight drag.I got lucky on my last motor cause it had the same problem and after I broke it in it had and oil leak and I decided to take it out and apart and the bottom end spun freely so I left it alone and fixed the oil leak.Never had a problem since.I figured I got lucky last time.So this time around I'll do it right.Thanks Earl I appreciate the advise.Bashing does nobody any good.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (Cloner)

Graves Machine shop in Upland has done a couple motors for me. They also do most of the machining for just about all the big name local shops.

Talk to Jodie and tell him "Honda Steve" sent you.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

Cool thanks.The motor is a b18 with a b20 crank and gsr main caps and girdle.Gonna take it apart tomorrow first and measure everything.Rings are new and tight they might be causing the drag ,hope im not just tripping.