Notices

Crankcase breather options

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Crankcase breather options

On honda engines, there's the pcv valve that runs to the intake manifold, and there's the breather that runs from the intake piping. The breather is supposed to allow pressure back into the crankcase because the pcv will be sucking the pressure out. This seems good for naturally aspirated engines but with forced induction wouldn't the breather tube be causing excessive crankcase pressure? Would it be best to replace the breather tube with a small filter or leave it as is? Any ideas?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crankcase breather options

Originally Posted by Morgan Reitz
On honda engines, there's the pcv valve that runs to the intake manifold, and there's the breather that runs from the intake piping. The breather is supposed to allow pressure back into the crankcase because the pcv will be sucking the pressure out. This seems good for naturally aspirated engines but with forced induction wouldn't the breather tube be causing excessive crankcase pressure? Would it be best to replace the breather tube with a small filter or leave it as is? Any ideas?
There are a dozens of threads about breather setups, so search and be prepared to do some reading. As for the hose that normally goes to the intake piping, if you want to keep that as stock as possible, it should be moved to the intake before the turbo. That's the way it was on my street legal Greddy kit years ago. I didn't like this because oil vapors would get into the turbo and intercooler.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People usually use catch cans and vent to atmosphere or use a catch can and have vacuum pull the gasses back into the intake via the intake arm on the compressor housing. There were a couple good reads I found when I was researching on honda-tech.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprockets
There are a dozens of threads about breather setups, so search and be prepared to do some reading. As for the hose that normally goes to the intake piping, if you want to keep that as stock as possible, it should be moved to the intake before the turbo. That's the way it was on my street legal Greddy kit years ago. I didn't like this because oil vapors would get into the turbo and intercooler.
That was simply from the crank case pressure itself, it wasn't the hose's fault. It just meant that you didn't change it much from the factory setup is all.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to beat on a old thread.. I found a old nrg catch can I never installed. Its a sealed can with 2 ports. My question is. If I want to use the 2 ports on the back of the block would i need to drill and tap my can to vent it? Should i just toss that catch can because its old junk anyway? It will be a turbo set up if that matters.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by XelginX
Sorry to beat on a old thread.. I found a old nrg catch can I never installed. Its a sealed can with 2 ports. My question is. If I want to use the 2 ports on the back of the block would i need to drill and tap my can to vent it? Should i just toss that catch can because its old junk anyway? It will be a turbo set up if that matters.
Don't use a non-vented can on a turbo. I found out the hard way recently..
Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by XelginX
Toss it
Old 07-17-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

See the sticky in grey at top of forum