Notices

crank case venting and my vacuum pump setup.. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank case venting and my vacuum pump setup.. Need advice

I plumbed a GM vacuum pump to pull vacuum from one of the ports on top of the black box behind my boosted GSR block.. the other port that goes to the block was capped off.. so the oil vapors have to pass the internal baffles built inside the box..

I also have a catch can inline b/w the pump and black box to catch any vapors/fluids..

The thing is, every now and then when i check the catch can, there's always some type of fluid in there.. it looks more like coolant and is clear.. there doesn't seem to be any oil in there either, mostly coolant.. this is really weird cause you'd expect some oil accumulation, but not this coolant type fluid..

I"m wondering if the vacuum pump may be pulling too much vacuum and is the cause of this.. I should also mention that I've got two extra 3/8" ports plumbed into the front of the VC in addction to the OEM port by the oil cap to help draw air into the crankcase..

i'll try to add pics to clarify things..
Old 05-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: crank case venting and my vacuum pump setup.. Need advice (92HB_HB)

I posted about this issue before. It's probably just condensed water vapor, at least that was the consensus on this forum. My catchcan was filled with more water than oil... turns out it's from the humidity in the air.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I plumbed a GM vacuum pump to pull vacuum from one of the ports on top of the black box behind my boosted GSR block.. the other port that goes to the block was capped off.. so the oil vapors have to pass the internal baffles built inside the box..

I also have a catch can inline b/w the pump and black box to catch any vapors/fluids..

The thing is, every now and then when i check the catch can, there's always some type of fluid in there.. it looks more like coolant and is clear.. there doesn't seem to be any oil in there either, mostly coolant.. this is really weird cause you'd expect some oil accumulation, but not this coolant type fluid..

I"m wondering if the vacuum pump may be pulling too much vacuum and is the cause of this...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The watery fluid you are referring to is unburnt condensed gasses and fuel which are getting sucked past the rings.

Pulling too much vacuum is dangerous. You need to measure amount of vacuum in the crankcase. Do not pull more than 14-15 inches/Hg (7psi) of vacuum!

[QUOTE=92HB_HB]I should also mention that I've got two extra 3/8" ports plumbed into the front of the VC in addction to the OEM port by the oil cap to help draw air into the crankcase..[QUOTE]

If these three ports are open atmosphere ports to draw fresh air in it means you have little to no vacuum inside you crankcase. You have vacuum assistance to remove vapors though.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the P/N of the GM vacuum pump? Got any pics of how you have it setup?
Do we know how much vacuum the pump is supposed to draw?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crank case venting and my vacuum pump setup.. Need advice (Muckman)

thanks for the insight.. i'll try to take some pics off the gunk.. at one time, the liquid stuff was clear, but this time its more of a green color, like coolant or something..

as for the pump.. I pulled it out of a cadillac, looked like an early 90's caddy.. I couldnt really tell the model cuz it was pretty much stripped and rusted up already in the junk yard..

i tried to measure the vacuum by hooking it up directly too a gauge it it pulled about 20 lb of vacuum
Old 05-23-2005, 05:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i tried to measure the vacuum by hooking it up directly too a gauge it it pulled about 20 lb of vacuum</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats normal...

You do not want to seal off those ports on the valve cover because you will induce way too much vacuum in your crankcase.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you post some pix of your setup and where this pump exactly located at on the caddy? thanks.