Notices

Crank Case Ventilation Plans & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Case Ventilation Plans & Questions

I read through the official threads which were a tremendous help. I am now posting up what I plan to do in order to make sure that I understood correctly what I should be doing. My car is a 1994 Civic DX with the stock D15B7 engine and a Greddy turbo kit. It is currently burning oil but has good compression... excess crank pressure is a suspect here... I am doing this anyway, but it should let me know if the problem is elsewhere if this doesn't help.

1) I am making my own catch can with internal baffles so the liquid stuff in the bottom won't get sucked into the vacuum source. It is being made with one vacuum input, one vapor inlet from the valve cover, and a drain valve at the bottom.

2) I am putting a slash-cut steel tube into my down-pipe before the cat, since after the cat will be stainless and I can't weld that myself. The line will have a one-way check valve so that air can flow into the exaust but not back into the can from the exaust. The line is currently planned to be 3/8" internal diameter.

3) I am putting a fitting on the valve cover with a 3/8" internal diamter. I am not welding this, but I am using a fitting like my oil return line on the oil pan. Using a gasket on each side with locking nylon nuts and washers. This works great on my oil pan with no leaks at all.

4) On my D-Series I have an input to the crankcase from the intake tube pre-turbo. I think this needs to remain there so that the crank has a source for fresh air as the vacuum sucks out the vapors. Is this correct?

5) There is another hose on the bracket with the hose I mentioned above. I'm really not certain what this one is. What do I need to do with it? If someone could line me out on the exact function of this hose that would be great.

6) I will be totally removing the stock PCV valve/hose and blocking off the holes in the block and intake manifold. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crank Case Ventilation Plans & Questions (sundownz)

you dont need baffles and all that other bs.

just make sure that you put your hoses at the higest point, and the front side of the engine, also make sure they are of nominal diameter, the larger the hose, the more air you draw(less oil)

do not run a hose from yoru catch can into your "pre turbo intake" you could probably suck all the oil from your engine this way... would make for a great smoke screen though
Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Crank Case Ventilation Plans & Questions (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont need baffles and all that other bs.

just make sure that you put your hoses at the higest point, and the front side of the engine, also make sure they are of nominal diameter, the larger the hose, the more air you draw(less oil)

do not run a hose from yoru catch can into your "pre turbo intake" you could probably suck all the oil from your engine this way... would make for a great smoke screen though </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I can't make the baffles easily I will forget about them, thanks.

Do you think I should go larger than 3/8" then? I don't have experience with this so I'm not sure what a good size is.

Right, I was thinking I need to leave the hose as connected at the factory -- meaning it goes from the intake pre-turbo to the valve cover. Is that right or do I need to plug this one up?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretyy much plug all the factory crap shut, put some fittings on the front of your valvecover. go with 3/4inch-1 inch hose( 2 of them) run them to the catch can. maybe put a drain into the back of the block if you dont want to empty it out every 10 minutes
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Crank Case Ventilation Plans & Questions (dturbocivic)

Gothca.

So if I plug the hose that brings air into the crank-case where does it come in from? Seems like I'd need it since I'll have something sucking air out, don't I need somewhere for new air to enter the case? I may be wrong, I am a newb at this... just making sure that I totally understand what you are saying.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blowby is the answer to your question and the reason behind all this nonsense.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you do a slash cut, don't go larger tube, cause the slash cut won't be able to pull air from larger tubes as effectively as smaller diameter tubes.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: (wenlyone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wenlyone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you do a slash cut, don't go larger tube, cause the slash cut won't be able to pull air from larger tubes as effectively as smaller diameter tubes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was looking at doing a 3/8" vacuum line and a 3/4" line to the valve cover. Does this sound okay?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Crank Case Ventilation Plans & Questions (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Blowby is the answer to your question and the reason behind all this nonsense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! So I do plug up that intake --&gt; valve cover hose for sure. I appreciate the answer. I was pretty overwhelmed with information reading those crankcase official threads so I wasn't able to absorb some of the points.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 AM

My can is nearly complete... I'll get some pics up so you guys can make sure I did it right once it is done Can't be any worse than the stock PCV, right?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: (sundownz)

* My fabricated catch can off the car. My setup used a large brass check valve and a stainless braided hose on the vacuum side. Inside the can are three baffles to prevent too much crap from going out the exhaust and smoking.

* My can installed. My valve cover vent is 3/4" ID and comes off the back corner of the cover. I bolted it on with a gasket and RTV on both sides using nylon lock nuts.

-----

I test drove it yesterday hitting boost as much as I can with my limited setup... with my weak factory injectors I can only go up to 5k RPM until I get larger ones and a new tune. Anyway... I drove my route to work and back, about 70 miles or so. I come home and open the drain valve and some *nasty* light brown stuff came out of the can... just a bit of it, as it should be. It does not seem to be sucking up much motor oil at all.

This weeking I am running the valve cover breather hose to the can as well. As of now it is still hooked up to the intake, pre-turbo. This actually doesn't seem to be causing any problems... but I know it could potentially feed nasty crap into my turbo so I'm not leaving it that way.

I'm still not sure what to do with the OTHER hose... the one on the same bracket as the valve cover breather hose. I don't really even know what it's called...