Notices

cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor.........

so i was in the process of racing an s4 tonight, felt the engine buck at about 7800 in 4th gear, cluster lights come on and ive got a huge cloud of white smoke behind me. cracked my sleeve #3 cyl pretty damn bad, all the pieces from it got into all my cyls. also, the head in my #3 cyl is pretty much trash too .

most likely scenario is that i had a boost creep, from the 10 im tuned for to about 15 psi, which has happend 1 time before to me. i dont have enough of a fuel system for 15 psi, ran lean and bang.
motor was a stock sleeve lsvtec, wiseco pistons and eagle rods.

Modified by blackeg at 12:15 AM 1/24/2006
Old 01-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (blackeg)

dam that sucks. i hope you get a new engine soon.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:11 PM

Default re:

That sucks man. Don't you wish you had read my thread a while back...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1269291
Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (blackeg)

overboost fuel cut owns you

I love mine; its probably saved my motor a few times.

/edit: that sounded mean. sucks to hear that your **** blew up. i know how bad that feels. key is to learn from this mistake. use overboost fuel cut next time
Old 01-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (Pay2play killa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pay2play killa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> that sounded mean. </TD></TR></TABLE>

na i dont care. i knew this is what happend the instant it stopped running. suprisingly im not really mad, just kinda aggitated that i spent a good amount of cash on machining and its all out the door. whatever, **** happens.

i just redid my exhaust setup to an equal lenght mani and a 3" cutout in my dp. this happend after the motor started flowing more. ive really only been driving it with this exhaust for 2 or 3 days

this boost cut looks like a good idea. i did have a passenger in the car, and told him right before i mashed it to watch the boost gauge and if i start creeping yell at me. yea, he didnt.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a friend he is

find a neptune tuner on your next build
it has a built in over boost kill in it

Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No boost cut =
Old 01-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (komat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by komat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what a friend he is

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, i was thinking about it this summer...

also, my timing was very conservative. 21* total at 11 psi
Old 01-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (mtber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mtber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No boost cut = </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know, i didnt have my chip burner with me, and i was still feeling out the new setup. whatever, no use crying over it, just fix it for next time
Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 PM

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (komat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by komat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uberdata has boost cut aswell
Old 01-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (phresh_5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phresh_5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uberdata has boost cut aswell </TD></TR></TABLE>

expletive uberdata; crome owns the hell out of uberdata
Old 01-23-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (Pay2play killa)

dam matt that sucks. if i can help with a rebuild lmk
Old 01-23-2006, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (86si)

Can that block be resleeved?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (Oyvind Ryeng)

that sucks dude, you'll be up and running in no time,
Old 01-23-2006, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (Oyvind Ryeng)

NOOOO! sorry for your loss matt. hope mine doesn't do this
let me know if i can do anything for ya
Old 01-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (LSVtechnologyturbob

i bet it can be sleeved. I sold my old block to ERL and they were able to sleeve it and sell it to someone out there.

although my head didn't get damaged at all, I guess you ahd mroe detonation then I did, as my happened just due to too much par on the stock sleeves.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oyvind Ryeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can that block be resleeved?</TD></TR></TABLE>

looking into it.

i didnt detonate at all( or at least didnt hear it). all the damage came from the chunk of sleeve that fell into my cylinder(s) and got knocked around.

thanks for the sympathy guys. ill keep you up on what im gonna do.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry Matt

I know it'll only come back bigger and better with you though
Old 01-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (type Gendy)

sorry to hear Matt
Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (12SEC CIV)

head is at the machine shop, should be able to clean it up and regrind the valve seats, thankfully.

right now im leaning toward gettin the block sleeved, so i can reuse the same crank, rods and bearings. gonna be a good hit in the wallet though, combined with new pistons
Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 AM

Grrrr. I replied in your post about the boost creep issue you were having before it blew. I bet it was the combination of the WG placment on the mani AND the e-cut out. I'm assuming you were on a stock map sensor too. Too bad boost cut wasn't set. Let's hope someone learns from this .

Let us know what happens in the end.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Very Emergency!!

damn that sucks, blew that sleeve straight the expletive up. time to sleeve that beast.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Grrrr. I replied in your post about the boost creep issue you were having before it blew. I bet it was the combination of the WG placment on the mani AND the e-cut out. I'm assuming you were on a stock map sensor too. Too bad boost cut wasn't set. Let's hope someone learns from this .

Let us know what happens in the end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know, my fault. im not really mad. it only hit 15 once, i was monitoring it very closely all weekend and it didnt happen again, so i chalked it off as a one time occurrance thing. ops. yea stock map. a/f at 11 psi was 11.8-12.2, but i knew i couldnt afford to go much over that....whatever, time for sleeves and decent fuel injectors.

totally slipped my mind about the boost cut feature. my bad
Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor......... (LSVtechnologyturbob

im pretty sure it could also i bought a 100 bare block gsr with crank and i had it sleeved with some Darton 84mm MIDS .. good luck next time...

Donny -
Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is kind of off topic but what is the boost cut off do? cut the spark if you begin to overboost? does crome have the boost cut?

Quick Reply: cracked my #3 sleeve tonight. pretty much trashed the entire motor.........