Notices

Couple turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple turbo questions

Piecing a turbo kit for my 96 gsr just had a couple questions.
1. IF i got 1000cc injectors would i still be able to run 10 psi and (with a good tune) be able to get decent gas mileage under no boost?
2. What do i need (fuel management wise) so evans can tune my car?
3. How many boost levels will evans tune my car for? I kinda wanna be tuned for up to 15 pounds, which is all i think my engine will take before it starts hurting.
4. Do i need schedule 10 pipe for a turbo manifold if i was only boosting around 10psi?
5. Does anyone know what piping peakboost uses for it's manifolds? As in schedule 10 40?
Thats all the questions for now. Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Couple turbo questions (NSX-TACY)

sounds to me like you need to have a sit down with Jeff
alot of the questions don't make much sense
if your "piecing together" a kit and still asking psi questions your in need of more research.
psi means dick. whp is what your looking at/for
are you planning on welding up your own manifold?
don't get me wrong you do what you want to do
but from your questions it sounds like your not to experienced with that...
not that i am that's why i pay someone else
not trying to sound like an *** but just call up Jeff and ask him
after all he is going to be the one to tune it.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Couple turbo questions (95jeremie)

Ugh...
When you tune you tune at specific pounds of boost, am i right, so all was asking was how many areas of boost does he tune at his standard tuning rate? Like 4.5 psi, 10.5 psi 15 psi 21 psi and so on. My freind went up there and tuned his car at 4.5 psi and 10.5 psi and stopped because he was running the stock honda map sensor. So you see what im asking? If i had the 3 bar map sensor how many levels of boost would he tune my car at on his standard neptune tuning rate.

And how do my questions not make any sense? They are pretty straight foward atleast i thought so....
And i am a tig welder so fabricating a manifold won't be that hard
Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Don't get frustrated, just understand that he's giving an abridged version of what it takes to understand turbocharging. Your questions "don't make sense", because when you use a PSI number, without stating ANYTHING about the turbo that you're going to use, no one can possibly calculate what "psi" is safe for you. 10psi on one turbocharger is going to be different than 10psi on a larger turbocharger. You haven't stated what has been done to the engine, to even plausibly estimate how much power the engine can take, or what YOU want. You also have stated that Jeff evans is to tune the car for its use. Since this is the person that is basically going to be doing a seriously important aspect of the car, and since he has a mangement system that is well-known to work with Hondas, its best to simply sit down with him, instead of going through H-T, to go over your needs.

Here's a bit of a quote for you to be able to reference when it comes to your questions and approach to your setup. Read it, comprehend, and give Jeff a call.

Originally Posted by TheShodan
...as many turbo gurus have stated on here, you need to be a bit more specific in terms of what you're looking out of a turbo in order for the car to do a bit more what you want. Understanding the PURPOSE of the car is key, though I have a feeling you're going to say, "I plan on doing this mainly on the street, w/ occasional weekends at the track, and want to break a 10 sec E.T." (Please prove me wrong.. ). I'm not saying at all that it is not possible, because it is, but you may need to understand about the positives and negatives regarding a FWD honda (yes, even w/ LSD) on the street vs. the drag strip. Unfortunately, in order for your goal to be a bit more realistic, one use may have to override the other. More street, or more strip, pick one.

Ok. Now that you've made that decision, now let's look at the setup you plan to use. Its more than likely you're on some sort of VTEC B-series engine, but you may be on a Non-VTEC or K-series engine. We don't know, so you'll have to enlighten us w/ your story. (But keep it simple). Actual displacement, Static compression, max rpm, and even cams all play into understanding the needs you're looking for ...

Alright, done.. you've stated the internals and technical blah blah.. Now, let's look at the turbo. What budget are you looking at? Be aware, if you want 600+ HP, plan for over $1100-$1500. (Yes, people have sales on stuff all the time, so no one get their panties in a bunch as to how much they paid for something, these are simply average costs for the larger units). Many people out here throw up suggestions without reasoning, with a big THUMBS UP, but honestly, who knows what you want better than yourself? There are plenty of dynos, charts, maps, and other empirical information than you can shake a stick at, so start searching around, and asking the turbo and tuning gurus around here.

Budget stated, great. Only one thing left. Fitment. Are you trying to do T3 flanged, or T4?. Bottom mount, or top mount exhaust manifold? Twin scroll? Divided inlet? V-Band? 3"downpipe? 4" downpipe? Ball-bearing cartridge? Journal bearing cartridge? Do you even know yet? This is where once again your information about the setup is going to impact that budget that you were looking for. Understanding the differences b/w journal bearing and ball-bearing (other than "spool") is going to be important, because face it.. At under 2.5 litres, you've got to spin the motor, to move the turbo. For 600whp+ "quick spool" is out of the question whichever cartridge you choose. Deal with it.. plain and simple. But that doesn't mean "lag" is a bad thing necessarily. Most of the larger units reach maximum pressure by about 4600-5500rpms, (once again, average, no need to post what everyone else's did) depending upon what you choose. Ball-bearing cartridge can work, but if it breaks, and you don't have the budget for the water lines, bye bye turbo, hello $1300+ paperweight, because on most damage, it cannot be rebuilt, and its costly. Journal bearing cartridges can work as well, especially with the newer designs of compressor wheels, and can be rebuilt, because if you want to go fast, you're gonna break something eventually. Garrett & Borg-Warner are the main ones that can foot the bill, each with their advantages and disadvantages.

Welp, there you have it in a proverbial "nutshell". Unfortunately, we can't read minds, so don't expect us to, and H-Ters have a tendency to not spoon-feed, you you've got some work to do, and some questions to answer before we can help further.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Couple turbo questions (TheShodan)

nice
Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NSX-TACY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ugh...
When you tune you tune at specific pounds of boost, am i right, so all was asking was how many areas of boost does he tune at his standard tuning rate? Like 4.5 psi, 10.5 psi 15 psi 21 psi and so on. My freind went up there and tuned his car at 4.5 psi and 10.5 psi and stopped because he was running the stock honda map sensor. So you see what im asking? If i had the 3 bar map sensor how many levels of boost would he tune my car at on his standard neptune tuning rate.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also a bit of a reminder. No one tunes a certain amount of boost/ hr. Most tuners will create UP to a certain boost level based upon the software, hardware, fuel type used, and other factors that you have for the car already that can work from 0psi to Xpsi depending upon the turbo used. Say for example when you tune up to say 15psi. It doesn't mean that you can only drive the car at 15psi, it means that the car has its fuel, ignition and timing values set to run anything from vacuum up to 15psi. If you change any area of the car that alters fuel or air (such as injectors or the turbocharger) prepare to retune. It may not take as long as the first time, but many of these values on the software need to be changed. But its not like tuners charge per psi of boost like getting a steak at a meat market. "hi, I'd like 20psi of boost out of my car. what will it cost per pound?" Your friend has 10.5psi tuned on the car, and probably has a boost controller set for both 4.5 and 10.5psi. BIG DIFFERENCE. He couldn't go any higher because of his map sensor.. As I stated, hardware plays an issue as to how far you can go on a tuning session, so plan accordingly.

Typically full street and dyno tunes are several hundred dollars easily for a car. Add different types of fuel with higher power levels, the cost starts to go up, as this is where different "maps" are created.

Modified by TheShodan at 7:58 AM 3/10/2008