Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/could-slightly-overfilling-oil-cause-smoking-damage-anything-2241343/)

jetlude 03-04-2008 07:08 AM

Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything

Got about 1/2 quart extra,level past upper dot. Will I damage anything?

champLSinteg 03-04-2008 10:21 AM

Re: Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything (jetlude)

You can build up pressure in the crankcase and blow out oil seals. I think you'll be fine with only 1/2 quart over. Just drain that 1/2 quart to be worry free!

jetlude 03-05-2008 01:39 PM

Re: Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything (champLSinteg)

Can it cause
smoking?

champLSinteg 03-05-2008 01:56 PM

Re: Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything (jetlude)

do you have a catchcan set up?

mattjohnston 03-05-2008 05:18 PM

Re: Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything (champLSinteg)

I put 8 quarts in once. It smoked, ALOT.

I drove it for a couple hundo, drained it out, and put over 50k on it. No worries.

Legion 03-05-2008 10:28 PM

Re: Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything (mattjohnston)

1/2 quart is nothing. Car manufacturers expect the general populace to be retarded. They build safeguards into everything. You can go above the top dot or even a bit below the bottom dot, it won't affect anything.

rorik 03-06-2008 09:47 AM

Re: Could slightly overfilling with oil cause smoking, and It damage anything (mattjohnston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattjohnston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put 8 quarts in once. It smoked, ALOT.

I drove it for a couple hundo, drained it out, and put over 50k on it. No worries.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In many instances, overfilling by a large amount can destroy the motor. The oil gets whipped into a bubbly foam by the crankshaft, and then since that foam is somewhat compressible, whereas the oil was not, the motor won't have shit for oil press. The lack of adequate oil press then results in damage.

Why would you continue to drive it if it was smoking "ALOT"? Why wouldn't you stop and think, hmm, what have I just done that would have caused that..oh Shit, I forgot to drain the oil! ..rather than driving for a couple hundred miles.. what, you thought it would just go away on its own?

jetlude 03-07-2008 02:22 PM

Can it cause
smoking?

Legion 03-07-2008 03:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jetlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can it cause
smoking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattjohnston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put 8 quarts in once. It smoked, ALOT.</TD></TR></TABLE>