Notices

could my turbo be shot? still having boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could my turbo be shot? still having boost problems

ok well.. i took out my intercooler today.. and ran the turbo outlet as simple as I could to the intake and i'm still only making like 2 PSI..(good tested boost gauge).. i tryed pluging my BOV.. and a tie straped my wastegate shut.. still 2 PSI MAX!.. the turbo sounds fine.. it spins great.. NO shaft play in any direction.. the seals are leaking no biggy.. the fins on the compressor side are flawless.. the exhaust side they are alittle worn/croded nothing to bad..
I had my local import shop ghetto test the turbo.. he jacked up my car so the front wheels were off the ground then stuck in his gauge staright to the outlet of my turbo.. i hit the gas in 5th it showed about 100mph quick.. he said the turbo was putting about 22PSI with the wastegate shut??.. how accurate is that?.. I'm almost positive there aren't any leaks in the lines.. could it be the fact that i'm using exhaust pipe and some DSM rubber hoses (OEM charge piping)??.. I'll consider buying all the bends i need and make the whole thing out of metal piping if i have to.. but could it be the turbo just isn't spooling enough? the turbo is a TD05 out of a 85 Dodge Starion.. DSM turbo. are could the tinyest leak in my piping be the cause.. the car seems to run alittle better but nothing like a turbo'd car should. BTW.. i'm only running some window screen as a filter so it doesn't have any restriction.

Cliff notes: Pretty sure i have NO leaks in charge piping.. BOV is shut.. Wastegate is closed.. turbo makes 2 PSI MAX boost.. whats the problem???
Old 01-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: could my turbo be shot? still having boost problems (JonGP4)

I don't understand?!? When the guy at the import shop read 22psi on his gauge, what did your gauge read? And what if anything was different then from when you were getting 2psi?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could my turbo be shot? still having boost problems (tjbizzo)

my charge pipes weren't connected to so my gauge wasn't reading anything but vacume. only difference is he measured from the turbo directly.. but i'm think he is BSing me cuz doesn't the turbo need the vacume of the engine to function properly?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:35 PM

ok ...first things first that shop that told you that your turbo was putting out 22psi(i would never go there again)....that turbo is not able to produce that much boost, even when it was 2 days old. let alone 20years old. also dont use stock dsm hoses, they tend to be cheap and flex way way to much when anything over 10-2 lbs of boost is aplied to them. but from all my problems with my car and all my friends forcefeed cars it sound like you got a large boost leak! it might just be as simple as one of your worm gear hose clamps gears are stripped out and its "tight" but not able to hold any boost. i would spend a couple of dollars and get new clamps and all new hoses. that will clear up some of your problems(or at the least eliminate some things). the other thing is that the turbo is old! its not going to spool or boost like it should. keep that in mind as well ----- good luck
Old 01-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could my turbo be shot? still having boost problems (boostedsolv10eater)

yeah.. thats what i figured.. i'm just not seeing a leak tho.. i tryed shoot 125PSI of air from my air compressor and the only leak i could "feel and hear" was at the TB.. but i tighten it down and it went away.. i hear the air coming out the back.. which means its all the way out the motor..
i have no idea what the condition of the turbo was in.. but its seemed fine cuz it spined with no shaft play.. i'm sure its been rebuilt somewhere down the line.. just doesn't make since it not having any shaft play but not boosting.. and it spins great?!? all the clamps are new.. i didn't use any of the cheesy DSM ones.. i guess i'll be ordering some mandral bends tonight.. if that doesn't work.. should i spend money on getting this turbo rebuilt?.. or just find another one..? if I rebuild this one it should be brand new again right?.. like a rebuilt motor?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump