Notices

could my head be cracked? if not then any other ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could my head be cracked? if not then any other ideas.

i just finished a new build, ls-vtec turbo (fully built). upon initial start up i found a small leak (coolant) coming out near the little rubber seal by the intake cam gear. i decided to take it for a little drive around the neighborhood and when i came back it was spilling out pretty badly. so i took off the valve cover and i seen coolant all puddled up in the head, around the valve springs. the head had brand new valves installed, a valve job, and was ported and polished before being installed also. any ideas on this. oh yea, and that was the only place coolant was leaking from also. thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could my head be cracked? if not then any other ideas. (whoneedzvtec)

Drain the oil,it's in the pan also.You could pressure test the system and see where it's leaking.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HG on the right way??
Old 03-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could my head be cracked? if not then any other ideas. (whoneedzvtec)

Blown head gasket
Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: could my head be cracked? if not then any other ideas. (snowboardgeek1)

lets just say that the head gasket was intstalled incorrectly or is blown. could this make coolant puddle up in the head like this, the way i explained. there is always the possibilty that the head gasket was installed incorrectly or blown, i would just have to pull the head to find out for sure. and there is no evidence of coolant in the oil, or in the cylinders. thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having the gasket upside down will usually cause an external leak also.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there oil in your radiator? Oil in coolant lines?

How is there no coolant in the oil yet you found coolant mixed with oil in the head? Doesn't make sense to me.

Coolant in the head...yeah blown headgasket.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 PM

first thoughts are upside down HG
Old 03-16-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: could my head be cracked? if not then any other ideas. (snowboardgeek1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowboardgeek1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there oil in your radiator? Oil in coolant lines?

How is there no coolant in the oil yet you found coolant mixed with oil in the head? Doesn't make sense to me.

Coolant in the head...yeah blown headgasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes that is correct and i do realize that, but i was stating that there was no evidence of coolant in the oil system. i drained the oil and watched as it came out and did'nt see any coolant come out and also i looked inside the bucket that i drained the oil in and also did'nt see any in there either. maybe there is coolant in the oil lines or in the radiator, i just have'nt gone that far yet. thanks for all the help.

so im thinking that i could have installed the headgasket upside down, is there anything else i should check before i pull the head though? thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the color of the oil? Light brown?

I still think its a blown head gasket. Either that or you need to retorque the head down.

If its upside down, I'd seriously consider going somewhere else for engine work.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What they're saying about coolant in the oil is that oil sitting in the head has to drain somewhere, and if coolant is up there, it most likely has drained into the crankcase/oilpan.

Is it possible it was leakign through the HG, into a headstud hole, then up into the head?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 PM

the oil is light brown (brand new), it only had about 2 and a half to three miles on it. i probably installed the head gasket upside down. its not that i need to find a new shop to do my work, i built and put everything together myself. there is a possibilty that i installed it upside down, i have been working 60 hour weeks and coming home from my job everyday and then working on my car. it would not have been hard for me to make a mistake on it, and thanks for all the input, i just never would have thought a headgasket could cause this sort of problem.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhh ok. I thought you had a shop do the work.