Notices

Copied from Tech cause I know you guys have to deal with this stuff... RE:wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copied from Tech cause I know you guys have to deal with this stuff... RE:wheel hop

Ok, I just did a rather lengthy search on this, all of which suggested remedies I've already tried . Here's the basics on my car:
'99 Si
Turbocharged ITR motor
KAAZ LSD
Z10 radius arms
Tokico Blue shocks
Neuspeed Sport drop
stock front sway
no rear sway (long story)
Prothane rear mount, energy side mounts
Yokohama A520 tires, 205-45ZR16's

I try, and I try, but nothing I've been able to do will cure this insufferable wheel hop. Anything over about 25% throttle in first - hop. > 50% in 2nd, hop... third actually hooks. I've tried adjusting the Z10's to just about every thread depth I can, no dice. They worked very well when I had **** for tires on here, but as soon as I went to the Yoko's, it all came back in a flash (the wheelhop).

Does anyone know the optimum caster settings for the Z10's? I've got a chance to get on an allignment rack to fine tune these things, should I aim for negative, neutral, or positive castor? They seem to work better when the castor is negative, though it may just be a fluke. Secondly, I've been looking into new shocks. Several of the threads have suggested the Tokico Illuminas over the KYB's. Anything else I should consider that is pretty adjustable (double would be preferred) for under $1000? I've looked for Koni double-adjustables, but I think they have to be custom made for '99 Civics. Any suggestions you guys have, feel free to lay them on me. This is getting very frustrating..., it's useless to make the car any faster since it's on the virge of breaking axles and diff's on hard acceleration. I already know I'm gonna have to spend some money to fix this... just don't know what I'm gonna have to buy. Thanks again for any help you can offer... EV.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Copied from Tech cause I know you guys have to deal with this stuff... RE:wheel hop (ElectronVTE

z10's or not you are gonna get wheel hop with civic si's unless you use solid motor mounts, or run slicks on street tires it is gonna happen, tockico 5 ways might help lesson the hop but not cure also is this on the street or strip? Jason
Old 03-26-2002, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Copied from Tech cause I know you guys have to deal with this stuff... RE:wheel hop (ElectronVTE

I can say something about the koni yellows. They certainly make a difference in reducing wheel hop when placed on a firm setting. Probably not a cure but certainly an improvement. Im running 7 psi on a B18c1 at the moment. Ill have more hp soon so I cant say if the koni yellows will be up to the task until that time. Right now though, they are good.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are going to think I am crazy, but try taking out all of your motor mount inserts.

I was saying to Brian (TurboInteg95) how I had wheel hop issues really badly, and he said to try taking out my energy suspension mounts. I took them out, and 90% of my wheel hop is gone.

I have z10 bars sitting on the floor in my room, I haven't installed them yet though.

But try taking out those inserts, my car gets better traction without them!

Dustin
Old 03-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dustin, I've thought you were crazy all along, why would that post change anything . I'll give that a shot, hell... its FREE! I'll take out the energy's but the prothane rear... well that may have to stay for a little while. Thanks for the input... now I guess I'm kinda tied between Koni Yellow and Tokico Illumina... though my gut tells me Yellow is better. Peace, EV.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the energy motor mounts inserts in my 00 si, except for the rear, and tokico illuminas, and I have no problem with wheel hop. I did have it when I had the kyb agx's though.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the energy motor mounts inserts in my 00 si, except for the rear, and tokico illuminas, and I have no problem with wheel hop. I did have it when I had the kyb agx's though.
It really depends on your wheel and tire combination also. I've found that tires with thinner sidewalls (read: larger wheels) really like to hop more. Crappy tires just spin without even trying to hop (reaching for traction).

Dustin
Old 03-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, here in about a month when the weather evens out, I'm gonna be looking for a new tire. The 205-45 is a pretty low profile, stiff sidewall tire, perhaps I'll look for something in a 205-55 16. I'm looking at the new BF Goodrich Drag radials, perhaps those will have a little more flexible sidewall. I'll start with the mounts and then move to the shocks if necessary

But again... anyone know the correct way to setup the Z10 bars? EV.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so evidently the new BFG drag radials don't come in any 16" sizes... time for plan B. So uh... what should I do for plan B EV.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:38 PM

I really dont see how taking out inserts would improve traction, except for distributing you power some where else. It seems to me youd want that power to the ground. Correct me if im wrong though. FWDs need slicks or drag radials.If you have a lot of power.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this might be a shot in the dark, but check and see if any of your engine mounts are broken. i've actually seen the long bolt which attaches the side brackets to the side mounts snap.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but my question is how do you get rid of wheel hop on slicks . . . .thats what holding me back on the track right now .
im not worried about on street tires, cuz i will never fix that , i can find any street tires to hook up for my car.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:19 AM
New User

Those motor mount inserts helped out my wheel hop a great deal. Maybe mine was a fluke or something though. Ive noticed that real agressive "puck" clutches on the street cause more hop as opposed to the street type disc's.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:11 AM
New User

I added neuspeed race springs and Bilstein shocks and my wheel hop is gone. I can just spin them babies. I think it has alot to do with the spring rate of your springs. The race springs are pretty stiff so they probably helped the most.

i really like the Bilsteins though, can't say anything bad about them.

Randy
Old 03-27-2002, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bilsteisn are excellent europena shocks. I use them on my VW with no probs.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

see my susp is still all bone stock . no new bushings mounts nothing
i just went with an act xtreme press plate and organic street disc, and a set of mickey tompsons
and last time when i was only running mid 13's i was hopping like hell off the line . i was launching at 6grand . maybe im launching too low ?
now im looking for around mid 12's this year , so i figure i better get launching down better
my 60 ft time sucked big time last year . . . so far consistant 2.0's from last year , i want like 1.8's and ill behappy.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:53 PM
New User

see my susp is still all bone stock . no new bushings mounts nothing
i just went with an act xtreme press plate and organic street disc, and a set of mickey tompsons
and last time when i was only running mid 13's i was hopping like hell off the line . i was launching at 6grand . maybe im launching too low ?
now im looking for around mid 12's this year , so i figure i better get launching down better
my 60 ft time sucked big time last year . . . so far consistant 2.0's from last year , i want like 1.8's and ill behappy.

Uhhhhhh, I'm no drag racer, but I think you are actually launching at too high an RPM. If you launch the car at that high of an RPM and then get mad wheel hop, you are asking for disaster. I did the same thing and shattered the diff in my tranny and actually shot it right out of the tranny case (pretty ugly). The car is better now...thank you QUAIFE

And as far as the original question, did you try to change the PSI in your tires? You may have the PSI too high. Try lowering it, and see what happens. Good luck.

[Modified by BlowOff, 9:56 PM 3/27/2002]
Old 03-27-2002, 01:22 PM
New User

i launch at 7 grand.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i think im launching too low, i know guys in r's that launch at 8000 on slicks and get like 1.7 60 fts all motor.
last time i was running 16-17 psi.
could it be becasue my lsd doing this?
Old 03-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Trial User

Actually, lowering the tire psi in street tires is a bad thing to do, especially on low profile tires. On drags it helps, on streets the opposite is true. When performance low pfor. street tires are underinflated, the center of the tire tends to "deflate" first, and then it creates a sort of bridging effect on the contact surface. Most people think that low psi causes more of the center of the tire to grip the road- nope, just the opposite. By keeping the tire psi at normal levels, you are forcing the entire tires constact patch to stay contacting the road, which as anyone knows, helps get grip.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im talking about slicks on the track . . . i already know i will never get traction on the street. im not concerened with that
Old 03-28-2002, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah my spring rates are 450 front, 350 rear, with 75 lb helper springs
Old 03-28-2002, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn it , i just need a susp. . . who wants to loan me money
Old 03-29-2002, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ElectronVTEC I drive a 99 civic si also and i was getting wheel hop out of nowhere. I checked my motor mounts and found that the top motor mount on the drivers side was ripped and broken badly! The mount in itself is a bad design and i will probably be doing it in the future. I have koni adjustable shocks (yellow) and progress springs by the way. Give this a shot look at your mount. It took 45min or so to change it. You have to remove the power steering line so have extra power steering fluid on hand. Let me know how it goes.