Notices

Coolant residue under new head gasket, burning oil, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant residue under new head gasket

Never mind, it was a leaking coolant hose.

Last edited by Sprockets; 05-03-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Re: Coolant residue under new head gasket, burning oil, etc.

Try rinsing it again, blowing it with compressed air to dry it, then put some baby powder down there to see if its new or residual. Has your idle changed or started to stall or bounce at all
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the oil control rings on the pistons are bad. Does the car smoke under a load? My last motor had perfect compression on all cylinders and even passed a leak down test. Did a re-ring and re-hone and all was good.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls joker
Try rinsing it again, blowing it with compressed air to dry it, then put some baby powder down there to see if its new or residual. Has your idle changed or started to stall or bounce at all
I didn't rinse that side, but I will. The idle is fine and the car runs OK.

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Sounds like the oil control rings on the pistons are bad. Does the car smoke under a load? My last motor had perfect compression on all cylinders and even passed a leak down test. Did a re-ring and re-hone and all was good.
No, I haven't noticed any smoke behind me under load lately. It wasn't full throttle tuned for quite some time, because I had to break in my Kevlar clutch. I wasn't able to boost or go over 4000 RPM during that time. When we did full throttle tune it, there was black smoke from carbon, not oil. How would oil get on the injectors if it's the rings, though?

So, if it does turn out to be the rings, I'd have to get new pistons as well and step up to 84.5mm?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprockets

No, I haven't noticed any smoke behind me under load lately. It wasn't full throttle tuned for quite some time, because I had to break in my Kevlar clutch. I wasn't able to boost or go over 4000 RPM during that time. When we did full throttle tune it, there was black smoke from carbon, not oil. How would oil get on the injectors if it's the rings, though?

So, if it does turn out to be the rings, I'd have to get new pistons as well and step up to 84.5mm?
IMO your are talking about too much oil to be valve guides or seals leaking. My intake was coated with oil on the inside as well. First thing I did was pull the head and have it rebuilt. The problem persisted so we did a re-ring and a re-hone and the problem went away.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprockets

If your cylinder walls are in good condition now as you previously indicated in your post, you should be able to re use your pistons and keep the same bore spec. A very light hone will be all that's needed to properly seat the new rings.