Notices

coolant over flow reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant over flow reservoir

I just recently got my car dyno tuned and through a problem in my radiator cap my coolant reservoir would overflow while at high boosts, I'm pretty sure its not a HG problem since replacing the cap the problem has not recurred, but it did get me wondering if I need a different kinda tank then the OEM one with it being boosted. OEM turbo'ed rides do seem to have different overflow systems and was wondering what the right system would be for a boosted B16A
Old 12-12-2015, 03:29 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Default Re: coolant over flow reservoir

Are you saying you had Rumbling Tank?

And a new radiator cap corrected the problem?
Old 12-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you saying you had Rumbling Tank?

And a new radiator cap corrected the problem?
not sure what you mean by rumbling, if you mean bubbling then no. it would just over flow at high rpm, the mishimoto cap was the problem. once I replaced it with a koyorad cap the problem went away.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:38 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/

Would you like to try again, this time following the rules and giving all related information? Also, what you don't think is a head gasket problem...well, you have zero basis for that diagnosis, and a good chance you're wrong.

All required information. Try again. Then we can start trying to help you.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you like to try again, this time following the rules and giving all related information? Also, what you don't think is a head gasket problem...well, you have zero basis for that diagnosis, and a good chance you're wrong.

All required information. Try again. Then we can start trying to help you.
ok while getting the car dyno tuned at high rpm the reservoir would over flow. while still on the dyno they replaced my mishimoto cap with one they had laying around and the problem went away and they continued the tune with no problems. once I got the car on the road it did the same thing a few times until the cap i'd sent for arrived. since I've replaced it with a koyorad cap it hasn't done it again. the problem has gone away. for two months I've been checking my oil for signs of water and my water for signs of detonation chamber gases "no black colored water" I did a leak down test and a pressure test and nothing has shown up to indicate that I have a HG problem or even head left at high boost.

my question was about using a different type of overflow tank
Old 12-12-2015, 10:11 PM

Your overflow tank has nothing to do with it. "No black colored water" is the most comically improper way to check for exhaust gasses in your coolant. Do you not have any actual coolant in your cooling system? Fix that. Run a proper 50/50 mix. Before you do that, though, properly check for exhaust gasses in your coolant. Buy/borrow/rent a block testing kit. Use it.

While you're doing this, at least pretend that you read the rules sticky that I've already linked you once. Required information. Year, trim, modification list. As of right now, we might as well be diagnosing a turbo Fiat Punto.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your overflow tank has nothing to do with it. "No black colored water" is the most comically improper way to check for exhaust gasses in your coolant. Do you not have any actual coolant in your cooling system? Fix that. Run a proper 50/50 mix. Before you do that, though, properly check for exhaust gasses in your coolant. Buy/borrow/rent a block testing kit. Use it.

While you're doing this, at least pretend that you read the rules sticky that I've already linked you once. Required information. Year, trim, modification list. As of right now, we might as well be diagnosing a turbo Fiat Punto.
so your saying that a leak down test and a pressure test don't tell you if you have a HG problem? and that checking my water and oil daily is a bad idea?

BTW I do have a 50 / 50 mixture and yes sometimes dark colored water can indicate exhaust gasses in your coolant

and just incase you didn't read my post you could try going up to the top and actually read it and you'd realize that I was asking advise about using a different overflow system like ones used for factory boosted cars as a safety measure not because I think I have a HG problem
Old 12-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Do I need to make it 5? You've been around way too long to be blatantly ignoring the rules.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@notaracist you seem to enjoy posting little gems of belittling advice anytime I or anyone else post anything, asking for help or advice form anyone in here, but you never seem to actually offer any help just tell ppl what you seem to think they are doing wrong and then complain about rules being broken as a defense for your rudeness
Old 12-13-2015, 12:47 PM

Would you like me to go through and show you every thread that I have successfully helped someone? Would you like me to somehow magically show you how many people have used my build thread and the plethora of DIYs to successfully build, diagnose, and repair their cars?

Or would you like to just follow the rules, like we expect literally every member here to do?

You have been given extremely simple diagnostic tests to do. You have been told that your diagnostics are the improper way to test what you're wanting to test. You have failed to give us required information. You have failed to listen to advice given. @RonJ, should we just cut to the chase on this one?
Old 12-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its like talking to a brick wall with you. I keep telling you I don't want your advise and you keep tell me what I shouldn't be doing when I don't even have a HG problem and if I did I'm not asking about that anyway
Old 12-13-2015, 01:56 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

I don't want to get involved since this has nothing to do with me, but, OP, NARC is basically THE MAN on here. Once I learned to actually read what was being said, the help he gives is pretty amazing. He is for sure one of the most knowledgeable people on here. He posts how he posts, we all do, and it is his right here to do that.. Anything more and I would be ranting.

I decided to go looking and I found this: Red's Engine Talk

Basically, I encourage you to give it a read, but: If...
- Your coolant level is to the correct level, no air in the system (can cause overheats, no heat, head gasket to blow, all of the above,) and 50/50 mix... AND:
- The impeller is turning on the Water Pump, and the water pump is not leaking through the weep hole, and no other external leaks, AND
- The radiator is NOT clogged, and flows freely...

Then...

*ding*

Exhaust gases in the cooling system are likely causing it.

I go away from this thread now. Have a good night.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

An overflow recycler with a proper radiator cap can help to recapture lost coolant
this part helped thanks @w95civicexcoupe
Old 12-13-2015, 02:17 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by petroi77
this part helped thanks @w95civicexcoupe
You're welcome @petroi77
Old 12-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I just recently got my car dyno tuned and through a problem in my radiator cap my coolant reservoir would overflow while at high boosts, I'm pretty sure its not a HG problem since replacing the cap the problem has not recurred, but it did get me wondering if I need a different kinda tank then the OEM one with it being boosted. OEM turbo'ed rides do seem to have different overflow systems and was wondering what the right system would be for a boosted B16A
Why would you need another reservoir if the issue was your radiator cap? I've seen plenty of turbo engines with the stock oem reservoir or don't run one at all.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you need another reservoir if the issue was your radiator cap? I've seen plenty of turbo engines with the stock oem reservoir or don't run one at all.
hard driving can cause them to overflow sometimes even on healthy engines, that's fine on the track, but its also my daily driver.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow this was painful to read.

@nar why is that guy such a dick?
Lol he wasn't even asking about the head gasket just happened to mention it.

Talk about reading comprehension.

@op im sure you can find a bigger reservoir or have one made. If the coolant isnt getting oushed out anymore dont even worry about it. Spend the money on new plugs or air filter
Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything you need to know OP.

Beating the Heat: Advantage of a High Pressure Radiator Cap | Tuner University
Old 12-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@Dark Teg I read that thanks

@turbohatch96y7 I was looking at this Chase Bays Coolant Overflow - Chase Bays what you think? price wise not sure
Old 12-14-2015, 01:12 PM

What part of "your overflow tank is not the problem" are you not understanding?
Old 12-14-2015, 02:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

@Dark Teg I read that thanks

@turbohatch96y7 I was looking at this Chase Bays Coolant Overflow - Chase Bays what you think? price wise not sure
Its a nice piece.

If you arent in a rush im gonna fab up a over flow tank out of stainless myself pretty soon.

If you have any ideas for one let me know. We can throw ideas around and make something.

I was thinking behind the passenger side headlight. I hate the stock one
Old 12-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Um what the **** is going on in here?

OP like others have said THE OVERFLOW IS NOT THE PROBLEM. REPLACING IT WONT ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING OTHER THAN WASTING MONEY.

If you're seeing black **** in the coolant system then it's coming from the engine, normally from a failed head gasket or warped head. Cylinder heads have been known to crack between cylinders (rare but happens) but that usually results in smoking from coolant entering the combustion chamber.

Do a leak down and compression test, that will tell you what's going on. It's obvious you have some sort of sealing issue allowing exhaust gasses to enter the cooling system.

The usual causes from most likely to least are

1. Failed headgasket
2. Warped sealing surfaces on head/block
3. Improperly tightened/over-stretched head bolts/studs
4. Cracked sleeve
5. Sunken sleeve
6. Cracked head
7. Crack inside turbo CHRA (only if water cooled)

None of those have anetting to do with the coolant overflow tank. If you're hearing "rumbling" from the cooling system while the engine is running that is a trademark sign of one or more of the above issues. You could have a gasket failure that doesn't allow coolant into the engine but allows exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. If you remove the radiator cap while this is happening you'll see bubbles.

Stop being an askhole (yes that's a thing) and listen to us. Or if you cannot grasp this information take the car to a local shop and pay them to do it. Or ignore us, I'll lock this thread, and then you can go buy a part you don't need to do nothing about the problem you have and you can just keep driving it till this issue causes catastrophic engine failure.

Your choice
Old 12-14-2015, 02:22 PM

Don't waste your breath wantboost. It's pretty clear that OP only wants us to tell him what he wants to hear, and he doesn't actually care about the truth.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by wantboost
Um what the **** is going on in here?

OP like others have said THE OVERFLOW IS NOT THE PROBLEM. REPLACING IT WONT ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING OTHER THAN WASTING MONEY.

If you're seeing black **** in the coolant system then it's coming from the engine, normally from a failed head gasket or warped head. Cylinder heads have been known to crack between cylinders (rare but happens) but that usually results in smoking from coolant entering the combustion chamber.

Do a leak down and compression test, that will tell you what's going on. It's obvious you have some sort of sealing issue allowing exhaust gasses to enter the cooling system.

The usual causes from most likely to least are

1. Failed headgasket
2. Warped sealing surfaces on head/block
3. Improperly tightened/over-stretched head bolts/studs
4. Cracked sleeve
5. Sunken sleeve
6. Cracked head
7. Crack inside turbo CHRA (only if water cooled)

None of those have anetting to do with the coolant overflow tank. If you're hearing "rumbling" from the cooling system while the engine is running that is a trademark sign of one or more of the above issues. You could have a gasket failure that doesn't allow coolant into the engine but allows exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. If you remove the radiator cap while this is happening you'll see bubbles.

Stop being an askhole (yes that's a thing) and listen to us. Or if you cannot grasp this information take the car to a local shop and pay them to do it. Or ignore us, I'll lock this thread, and then you can go buy a part you don't need to do nothing about the problem you have and you can just keep driving it till this issue causes catastrophic engine failure.

Your choice
Dude

Hes just looking for an over flow tank now

It's not hard to figure out
Old 12-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

INB4 new overflow tank didn't help

Lulz

Quick Reply: coolant over flow reservoir