Notices

conversion: oil+water to just Oil cooled?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion: oil+water to just Oil cooled?

alright i bought a garrett t3 (.42/.48) off of a H-T member to replace the identical one i have. unfortuently i forgot to ask what type of fluids it uses for cooling... my old one is only oil cooled. this one is both oil and water cooled... i dont want that, cuz if the seals go.. theyll mix.. and i dont want that in my built motor.

is there anyway i could swap the middle section from my old one to the new one to make it only oil cooled?? Or is it theres seperate passages for each fluid that i wont be able to convert..

everythings fine on the new one, the old one is fucked in more ways then one: the shaft is loose as hell, the fins are all bent up, it spews oil out from every crack and burns it and the shaft barely moves its so beat.

what should i do,
1)take all the **** from the good turbo and use it to replace the beat **** in the old one?

2)or just take the mid-section with the feed and return lines from the beat turbo (only oil cooled) and convert it to the new turbo (oil and water)?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: conversion: oil+water to just Oil cooled? (HatchEh2)

bump
Old 11-22-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely should use the new turbo. If you are that paranoid about coolant mixed with oil then you can run it without water, just make sure you have turbo timer to prevent oil coking.

HOWEVER, the oil flow and coolant passages in the mid-section is not separated by a seal. It is separated by a 1/8" thick steel. They are totally separate chamber. THEY WILL NOT MIX.

It is great to have watercooled tubro. More insurance if you're lazy to wait cooldown and not have a turbo timer. The water will act as a heatsink as your car cools down and lengthen your oil seal and shafts
Old 11-22-2005, 07:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> dont want that, cuz if the seals go.. theyll mix.. and i dont want that in my built motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are no water seals in a turbo. The only way water could mix with the oil is if the casting of the turbo cracked, in which case you would have more problems than water in oil.

I fail to understand why people refuse to use water cooling. Turbos are made water-cooled for a reason! Non water-cooled turbos are either very old or made for diesel engines.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: conversion: oil+water to just Oil cooled? (elpiar)

if you dont want to water cool it just plug those holes on the turbo it will be fine...but you might as well use the water to cool it as well as like he said they arent going to mix...i have never heard of anyone having that problem.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: conversion: oil+water to just Oil cooled? (dornon13)

wow, this is great. i thought a water cooled turbo was a POS, cuz i only seen them on old and small turbos..

i DO have a timer.
ok thanks guys, im glad i learned this. ill use both than..

unfortuently the guy that sold it to me has the ports (feed, return) all bent the expletive up... this is y i asked for multiple angle shots of the turbo before i bought it... i only got one and 'his word'...
Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

btw, what are the most comon hoses to tap into for the water??
Old 11-22-2005, 08:03 AM

Use a typical IACV coolant hose size (since this is most likely where you tap for coolant)
Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use a typical IACV coolant hose size (since this is most likely where you tap for coolant)</TD></TR></TABLE>

alright, well i gotta question then:
i had a mini-me, and the cross pipe on the b7 block had 2 hoses coming of rather than the one the z6 block has. now im building a full z6 but im still using the same cross pipe. what i did was tap the extra line into the IACV, worked fine.

now if i just get rid of the tap and run the extra hose (on the crosspipe nearest the FITV) to the turbo, this would be my water FEED, correct?

now for a return line, should i just run it to the overfill cantainer.. (...which is probably a bad idea actually ..) or should i tap into the bottom radiator hose? i hope thats not right cuz thats pretty large to tap a small *** hose to it..

there must be a small hose that runs the opposite way as the feed...
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

alright, well i gotta question then:
i had a mini-me, and the cross pipe on the b7 block had 2 hoses coming of rather than the one the z6 block has. now im building a full z6 but im still using the same cross pipe. what i did was tap the extra line into the IACV, worked fine.

now if i just get rid of the tap and run the extra hose (on the crosspipe nearest the FITV) to the turbo, this would be my water FEED, correct?

now for a return line, should i just run it to the overfill cantainer.. (...which is probably a bad idea actually ..) or should i tap into the bottom radiator hose? i hope thats not right cuz thats pretty large to tap a small *** hose to it..

there must be a small hose that runs the opposite way as the feed... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure I can picture what you described perfectly, but this is what I do.

Find the feed line to the IACV, cut it. run the lines so that your turbo is "inserted" into this feed line. So if the IACV is feeding off the crosspipe, then do: crosspipe-turbo coolant feed-turbocoolant return - IACV. Basically you want to put your turbo in series with the coolant circulation. I think you can also do this with FITV or any IACV/FITV return.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not sure I can picture what you described perfectly, but this is what I do.

Find the feed line to the IACV, cut it. run the lines so that your turbo is "inserted" into this feed line. So if the IACV is feeding off the crosspipe, then do: crosspipe-turbo coolant feed-turbocoolant return - IACV. Basically you want to put your turbo in series with the coolant circulation. I think you can also do this with FITV or any IACV/FITV return.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ooooh alright, i gotcha.
i thought you would have to run it back thru another side of the system such as the oil (pressure sensor tap to oil pan). but you can just have recirculate back into the same line.

thanks alot dude
Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ooooh alright, i gotcha.
i thought you would have to run it back thru another side of the system such as the oil (pressure sensor tap to oil pan). but you can just have recirculate back into the same line.

thanks alot dude </TD></TR></TABLE>
good luck