Notices

Connecting air filter to elbow/bend and turbo inlet

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Connecting air filter to elbow/bend and turbo inlet

Hi, my turbo inlet is 3" wide and I got a 3" wide 45 degree bend piece to connect to that and a 3" wide at the bottom opening air filter so as to avoid hitting something straight ahead in my enginebay.

I have ran into a problem when I go to use the clamps to clamp the air filter onto either end of the 3" wide length of 45 degree bent tubing and the other tubing end with the turbo inlet. I get the feeling that when connecting an air filter to tubing or tubing to an inlet that I should have gotten something half an inch smaller or larger so that the ends fit into the other ends and then can be clamped over that area where they are connected/overlap.

A much simpler way of explaining my problem can be demonstrated by you imagining me attaching a 3" wide piece of tubing as my short ram intake tubing to a 3" wide inlet air filter. I assumed it was smart to match all my piping and inlets to be the same size, but now I feel putting a clamp over the small area that the clamp can overlap on to equally wide pieces is less secure then placing a smaller end into a larger end and then clamping over that overlapping area.

My situation in pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98integ...57632005322896

I hope I didn't lose anyone. This is something that everyone out there has surely ran into and understands what to do and can hopefully shed some light on my n00b ***.

Thanks guys I appreciate you taking the time to help me with my simple issue.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Connecting air filter to elbow/bend and turbo inlet

I think you're referring to the inner diameter vs. outer diameter, right? You're having issues as to whether one fits with the other?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It will fit.. anything smaller and you won't be able to fit it, especially half an update inch smaller... the clamps are there to make it fit.

Don't worry about it
Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I think you're referring to the inner diameter vs. outer diameter, right? You're having issues as to whether one fits with the other?

Yes this is it I guess? Are you saying that the inner diameter is the distance from edge to edge width-wise inside the pipe and outer diameter is the distance from edge to edge width-wise from the outside edges of the pipe.?
<----> inner
( Tube )
<---------> outer

Is that what you mean from inner diameter and outer diameter of the tube/pipe?

If so I never ever see those measurements listed, only diameter of inlets and such.

and to the 2nd posting, I am not sure how putting two same measurement tubes side by side with no overlap to secure them within each-other is going to be safe because that wire clamp isn't that wide, its maybe a half inch of coverage and that is split between the two pieces evenly if you line things up nicely.

if nobody knows what i am talking about really its ok ill just ask somebody in person at a pro shop or watch videos on youtube of people doing installations requiring such joinings of air filters to piping, etc.

Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The clamp won't cover the whole area... you are severely over thinking this.

It doesn't see pressure so it won't pop off.. you have to use a 3" coupler on a 3" pipe.... just install it already