Notices

Confused about catch cans! (who isn't?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused about catch cans! (who isn't?)

After getting an ITR manifold installed I had the opportunity to look at the removed stock B16A manifold, and the intake runners were filled with oil residue. I currently use a Cusco catch can between the valve cover and the intake before the turbo, so I assume this is from the PCV, or possibly from when the car was stock. The more I read about catch cans, the more confused I get because everyone has a different opinion. Some people just eliminate the PCV altogether and run a hose underneath the car (I believe ZIP does this). This seems a little messy to me and I hate the smell of burning oil, so I'm considering something like the Endyn setup:

http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

It's listed for $154, which is ridiculous considering it's just a $60 Moroso catch can with a couple extra fittings, hose and hose clamps and a filter.

I want to do everything I can to eliminate this oil from entering my new intake manifold, but there are emissions inspections in PA, so I need something that doesn't look too suspicious, or just have something that can be changed quickly when inspections come around.

Another option is to move the PCV to the top of the Moroso and keep everything else intact. Would this be sufficient to help eliminate the oil residue?

To add to the confustion, JT just made a post about water somehow entering the catch can and used a Fram fuel filter in addition to the catch can. Help!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Confused about catch cans! (The Dude)

I saw that another thread was revived on this same subject, but no one can agree. I saw a very confusing scribble, and that's about it. Someone here has to be an expert on this!