Notices

Compressor Wheel Upgrade on GT35R Turbo, GTX, HTA, GSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:41 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor Wheel Upgrade on GT35R Turbo, GTX, HTA, GSX

Has anyone upgraded the compressor wheel on their GT35R, etc. with either a GTX, FP HTA, or TurbosDirect.com GSX wheel? My current setup is maxed out at 600whp on E85, it’s a eight year old Garrett GT35R, I’m been thinking that maybe upgrading to a newer billet wheel could possibly free up 40whp without sacrificing any significant midrange power.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Compressor Wheel Upgrade on GT35R Turbo, GTX, HTA, GSX

Originally Posted by b20sedan
Has anyone upgraded the compressor wheel on their GT35R, etc. with either a GTX, FP HTA, or TurbosDirect.com GSX wheel? My current setup is maxed out at 600whp on E85, it’s a eight year old Garrett GT35R, I’m been thinking that maybe upgrading to a newer billet wheel could possibly free up 40whp without sacrificing any significant midrange power.
I did some testing with the GSX TurbosDirect wheel and destroyed a few. The fin tips were so thin that they either expanded and brake off on the dyno or made a couple passes and the wheel would make contact with the housing each time. That was over a year ago so maybe they have designed them to be a bit thicker but they did make some good power for a few dyno pulls.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:54 AM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Uh oh, that's not awesome...
Old 02-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Uh oh, that's not awesome...
Yeah, this was one of the causes for me to give up on 62mm turbos, I was tired of trying to squeeze power from little turbos. However we did get a 960whp dyno run out of one of those billet wheels with their 62mm turbo. Little thing was a beast but it didn't last very long.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 PM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Damn 960whp! Doesn't Locash run a 62mm turbo on his race car?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn 960whp! Doesn't Locash run a 62mm turbo on his race car?
He did, he ran the Precision 6266 and 6270 made over 1000 with that. Now he moved over to the Precision 6785.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Just curious, is there anything done to the rotating assembly and heads. Can the engine handle 600whp-700whp. Why not just install some cams for 40whp more. Youll make more power at lower boost. Mite even hit your goals at a higher psi.

do you have any datalogs showing the IATs just blowing hot high air temps.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Im very sure someone can get you a GTX3582 or GTX3576 set (compressor/backplate/ comp housing). Other than that you could allways get a set of cams for better midrange because in my opinion "billet" will most of the times be just a different type of wheel not a better one. The first days of the "the new GTX3076 spools sooner and makes more power" people tried it and saw that all that was crap and GTX3076 spooled and made power like a bridge between GT30R and GT35R.
If you really want to invest in a good turbo/upgrade ask The Shodan or just get a deep breath, find a good excuse for the wife, and get an EFR 8374/9174. They are not the magic turbos but well you at least know you escape from the 15-20 year old turbine wheels.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know people may not like this but I'd look into a Precision turbo, there I said it LOL. I know people will say Precision is just the hype train but I've tested so many combo's but when I bolted an off the shelf Precision on my car it just made power.

Joe will tell you the same thing, he doesn't have any loyalty to any turbo company he just wants to use one the works and Precision just freaking works.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I know people may not like this but I'd look into a Precision turbo, there I said it LOL. I know people will say Precision is just the hype train but I've tested so many combo's but when I bolted an off the shelf Precision on my car it just made power.

Joe will tell you the same thing, he doesn't have any loyalty to any turbo company he just wants to use one the works and Precision just freaking works. FOR POWER, YES. For Other factors... Not really.
But yes, you said it. I know you feel so much better getting it all out.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, trust me I understand.. I mean OP is looking to make more than 600+ horsepower since he is already there with his current setup.

Instead of rebuilding or upgrading just put a turbo that can make power without the problems. I've played the change the wheel game, the compressor housing games and in the end got all the power needed by simply going with a Precision.

I also think Precision is able to handle abuse and last a good amount of time.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:12 PM

LOL, trust me I understand.. I mean OP is looking to make more than 600+ horsepower since he is already there with his current setup.

Instead of rebuilding or upgrading just put a turbo that can make power without the problems. I've played the change the wheel game, the compressor housing games and in the end got all the power needed by simply going with a Precision.

You keep forgetting, that most people on here aren't even remotely like you. What you did to those wheels (or what you had Joe do to those wheels) was beyond ANYTHING that this 600whp has to do with. (C'mon, you're over 42psi of boost pressure and you're pissed that a wheel started to flex at over 385,000 rpms?!?!? Just to see if you can make 900whp out of a 62mm?.. Yeah, I know how to do the math, bruh...)

You can successfully upgrade and have it work reliably if its within reason. He's trying to do several things. And lasting a "good amount of time" isn't enough for me to go back to Precision until they make some serious changes while under the Wabtec Umbrella.

(Hell, I still think Turbonetics has it over PTE pound-for-pound. Have you seen their Marine and locomotion division?!?!?! My GOD.... ). Especially when I've got several collectible units from Garrett lasting for thousands of hours on enduro racing and time attack. I've yet to see one PTE come to the party for a 24 Heur LeMan series. BW/EFR, sure, they're there.. IHI, they're game for an enduro. Garrett, absolutely.... PTE.... *Crickets*.. (because "we stay in our market where its safe.. 'Drag racin'.. Maybe on a Konigsegg, occasionally .")

You. You, on the other hand, You do one big thing Big.. You BREAK **** For Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega POWAAA!! (j/k)

Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the precision thing to and 4 rebuilds later I said enough.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Give these guys a ring!! They rebuild turbos and have upgrade options to make more power as well. My GT3037R is almost maxed out in the 500-530whp range but I am upgrading to their billet wheel upgrade which should allow the turbo to make 580whp and retains the same spool time... actually it's supposed to spool faster according to them.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I did the precision thing to and 4 rebuilds later I said enough.
Was it their Journal Bearing stuff or Gen2 Ball Bearing turbos?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You keep forgetting, that most people on here aren't even remotely like you. What you did to those wheels (or what you had Joe do to those wheels) was beyond ANYTHING that this 600whp has to do with. (C'mon, you're over 42psi of boost pressure and you're pissed that a wheel started to flex at over 385,000 rpms?!?!? Just to see if you can make 900whp out of a 62mm?.. Yeah, I know how to do the math, bruh...)

You can successfully upgrade and have it work reliably if its within reason. He's trying to do several things. And lasting a "good amount of time" isn't enough for me to go back to Precision until they make some serious changes while under the Wabtec Umbrella.

(Hell, I still think Turbonetics has it over PTE pound-for-pound. Have you seen their Marine and locomotion division?!?!?! My GOD.... ). Especially when I've got several collectible units from Garrett lasting for thousands of hours on enduro racing and time attack. I've yet to see one PTE come to the party for a 24 Heur LeMan series. BW/EFR, sure, they're there.. IHI, they're game for an enduro. Garrett, absolutely.... PTE.... *Crickets*.. (because "we stay in our market where its safe.. 'Drag racin'.. Maybe on a Konigsegg, occasionally .")

You. You, on the other hand, You do one big thing Big.. You BREAK **** For Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega POWAAA!! (j/k)

I know you're just playing around but I know people are not trying to make huge power but people aren't also trying to run 24 Heur LeMan series on here either. Just because I look to personally make power doesn't mean they can't use Precision products for their own power goals.

I'm not mad about the billet wheels, the point was to max them out. We tested the wheels for Turbo Direct to help them out and provide them with data and feedback. At the end of the day when someone is rating a turbo, selling a billet wheel product the point isn't to baby these things, it's to push them.

In all honesty you don't see Precision trying to get into 24 Heur LeMan series or road racing because the money really isn't there. Precision is sticking to the major market of street racing, drag racing, no prep racing, 1/2 mile racing. Not sure if you noticed how many Drag racing events, tv shows, internet shows are mainly focusing on these specific events and type of racing.

Precision Turbo is proud to have been a part of include Q80 Racing Team's world's fastest turbo Pro Mod car (3.592 at 216.62 MPH in the 1/8th mile), "Speed Demon", the world's fastest piston engine wheel drive car (451.933 MPH), Johnny Bohmer's Guinness World Record setting fastest street car in the standing mile (283.232 MPH), Joe Signorelli's world's fastest import (233.12 MPH), Andy Frost's quickest and fastest street legal car (6.40 at 225 MPH), Mike Murillo's 4 Fun Ford Weekend Street Outlaw Championships, John Kolivas's 3 straight National Mustang Racers Association Drag Radial Championships, Titan Motorsports 3 straight NHRA Sport Compact Pro RWD Championships, Larry Larson's five time Unlimited Hot Rod Drag Week Championship winning Nova, Chris Tuten being the first to break the 200 MPH barrier in Super Street Outlaw and Brad Personett's record setting NHRA Pro Modified 1968 Camaro.

Since 2008, Precision Turbo and Engine customers have compiled over 119 World Championships and set over 256 World Records. This is a feat that no other Forced Induction manufactured can claim. Precision-boosted vehicles have set numerous records and won championships in a wide array of racing sanctioning bodies including NHRA, ADRL, NTPA, PPL, NMRA, NMCA, NSCRA, PSCA, ORSCA, WCHRA, Fun Ford, NDRC, NOPI, and NSCA.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 AM

I know you're just playing around but I know people are not trying to make huge power but people aren't also trying to run 24 Heur LeMan series on here either. Just because I look to personally make power doesn't mean they can't use Precision products for their own power goals.

I'm not mad about the billet wheels, the point was to max them out. We tested the wheels for Turbo Direct to help them out and provide them with data and feedback. At the end of the day when someone is rating a turbo, selling a billet wheel product the point isn't to baby these things, it's to push them.

In all honesty you don't see Precision trying to get into 24 Heur LeMan series or road racing because the money really isn't there. Precision is sticking to the major market of street racing, drag racing, no prep racing, 1/2 mile racing. Not sure if you noticed how many Drag racing events, tv shows, internet shows are mainly focusing on these specific events and type of racing.

Precision Turbo is proud to have been a part of include Q80 Racing Team's world's fastest turbo Pro Mod car (3.592 at 216.62 MPH in the 1/8th mile), "Speed Demon", the world's fastest piston engine wheel drive car (451.933 MPH), Johnny Bohmer's Guinness World Record setting fastest street car in the standing mile (283.232 MPH), Joe Signorelli's world's fastest import (233.12 MPH), Andy Frost's quickest and fastest street legal car (6.40 at 225 MPH), Mike Murillo's 4 Fun Ford Weekend Street Outlaw Championships, John Kolivas's 3 straight National Mustang Racers Association Drag Radial Championships, Titan Motorsports 3 straight NHRA Sport Compact Pro RWD Championships, Larry Larson's five time Unlimited Hot Rod Drag Week Championship winning Nova, Chris Tuten being the first to break the 200 MPH barrier in Super Street Outlaw and Brad Personett's record setting NHRA Pro Modified 1968 Camaro.

Since 2008, Precision Turbo and Engine customers have compiled over 119 World Championships and set over 256 World Records. This is a feat that no other Forced Induction manufactured can claim. Precision-boosted vehicles have set numerous records and won championships in a wide array of racing sanctioning bodies including NHRA, ADRL, NTPA, PPL, NMRA, NMCA, NSCRA, PSCA, ORSCA, WCHRA, Fun Ford, NDRC, NOPI, and NSCA.
In other words, you wrote all of that just to prove my point. They stay in the market in the U.S.and that's it. The money is there. Just not in the U.S. as much. But globally, oh yeah, it's there. That's like saying Professional Football players (real football, not American football) don't make money compared to American Football players. Oh, yeah, globally its there, just there are other places other than the U.S. to make money. .

The 24hour LeMans portion of my post was to show that longevity has as much importance as performance. Especially for those that do not have the budget to go through four-five rebuilds or to go to multiple turbochargers at multiple times in their endeavor .

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-01-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Was it their Journal Bearing stuff or Gen2 Ball Bearing turbos?
It was a Journal bearing, but between myself and and previous owner it was rebuilt quite a few times. It lasted the longest after STC put the Reaper wheel on it.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Precision ball bearing is like precision wastegates. It may last for ever, it will deffinately last more than the chinese ball bearing or precision journal bearing but thats it.
They will probably last a lot but they wont last like the other 2 players.

On the drag scene Precision defies the racing yes. mm per mm they will spool best and make best power but for how long?
Its like that super hot girl thats also super good on sex but you know she'll Fuark you up eventually banging you brother, blowing up everything.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It apples to orange comparisons. A LOT of people drag race, street race, 1/2 mile race, no prep race, daily drive with some street racing in between which is where Precision shines. For road racing Garrett does well because they meet those applications better, smaller turbos. When you look at Precision they really don't offer little turbos for under 500 horsepower like Garrett offers, which a lot of road racing guys utilize for quick spool and not overpower.

Garrett makes turbos for factory cars to last 100 thousand miles and above and they do a great job for longevity no question. I have never said Garrett can't last or is crappy, I just point out that Garrett is not the only option available.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Precision ball bearing is like precision wastegates. It may last for ever, it will deffinately last more than the chinese ball bearing or precision journal bearing but thats it.
They will probably last a lot but they wont last like the other 2 players.

On the drag scene Precision defies the racing yes. mm per mm they will spool best and make best power but for how long?
Its like that super hot girl thats also super good on sex but you know she'll Fuark you up eventually banging you brother, blowing up everything.

^^ That's what I'm sayin'...

Old 03-01-2018, 11:11 AM

Garrett makes turbos for factory cars to last 100 thousand miles and above and they do a great job for longevity no question. I have never said Garrett can't last or is crappy, I just point out that Garrett is not the only option available.
I getcha.. That's not what your argument's premise pointed to, but I getcha..

Just check out the GTX5513 series in some of those same higher end classes that you've listed in 2017-20178. They're doing quite well against PTE for their systems. .