Notices

Compressor 220v wiring question?! Help please electrician gurus?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor 220v wiring question?! Help please electrician gurus?!

Alright, got a new 60 gallon compressor and I made up and extension cord that plugs into the dryer outlet to get me by. The cord and the plug are both three wires, a black, green and a white which. I wired the white to the "L" shaped terminal on the plug so that it is neutral like it says to. then the black and green to the remaining two terminals. Now, my question is at the compressor itself. There are three terminals before the switch and three after that go to the motor itself. The wires coming from the motor to the switch have the green as the ground and the black and white going to terminals.

Now my main question is do I have the green from the cord i have go to the ground or the white? The white is neutral at the plug so would it therefore be the ground? or do i match the colors on the terminals to those going to the motor?

Right now I have it with the white going to the same place as the other white on the motor side of the switch and the green to ground. The compressor fires and runs when I have no pressure in it but when it gets to about 20psi it starts to bog in a surging way and then eventually will seem powerless. ?:??

Old 12-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressor 220v wiring question?! Help please electrician gurus?! (RenoRacing)

With the three prong plug you won't have a ground. You need to use the green in the cord as a neutral, and the white and black as hots.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressor 220v wiring question?! Help please electrician gurus?! (HXMan)

yup, just like he said
Old 12-20-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Compressor 220v wiring question?! Help please electrician gurus?! (genop)

okay, so in the cord I need the green to go to the middle "L" shaped prong as a neutral. Then where does the green go at the compressor end? just tape it up?

So white and black only, green to nothing?
Old 12-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressor 220v wiring question?! Help please electrician gurus?! (RenoRacing)

First we better get straight and verify whether your compressor is a 220 V motor. IF it is 220 volt, lets start with the dryer plug. The L shaped conductor is the safety ground. Connect the green to it, then connect the green to the metal box on the compressor, to ground all the metal parts.

Then consider the black and white both line or power conductors. Connect them to the other two flat conductors on the dryer plug. Then connect the black and white to L1 and L2 on the motor control contactor.

If the compressor motor is 120 Volts, do not do the above of course. Let us know and we will try to help you more. The motor nameplate will tell us for sure whether it is 220v or 110 volt. (I read your title , but just want to be real sure on this point.)
Old 12-20-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Compressor 220v wiring question?! Help please electrician gurus?! (BigMoose)

Alright! It's alive and running smooth.
HXman, you are "the man".
Thanks for the help guys . I searched the fricken web through yahoo and google for about 2 hours and couldn't find a decent straighforward answer, then I turn to you, the wonderful community known as Honda-tech, where plumber, artists, mechanics, lazy, and electricians like yourselves come together! lol alright, enough ranting!

Anyways, I have the green as the neutral ground now rather than the white as it says in the directions for some reason! Now it works great, very impressive compressor, I'd reccomend it to anyone looking at getting a $400-$500 compressor,(Got it at Lowes for $428 w/ tax) I just played w/ my angle grinder for 10 minutes straight and it held 90psi no problem the whole time, it's actually quieter than my old 30 gallon horizontal!
Old 12-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forced Induction forum can even solve air compressor problems!
Well I guess that is still a form of F/I heh