Notices

compression test results not good - need advice on next step...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression test results not good - need advice on next step...

hi all - on the dyno I recently noticed some oil coming out the breather hose (I just have it dumped to the ground - thus dumped onto the dyno itself)

did a compression test and cylinder #3 is no good (results: 1: 225, 2: 225, 3: 130, 4: 225)

car is a 98 accord F23a1 w/ drag kit. I should be able to find a replacement motor for $300 - 500 from the brief looking around I've done.

With a replacement motor that cheap is it worth having a shop perform a leakdown test? I don't have a compressor or the leakdown test tool.

I don't think it's the headgasket, oil & coolant look good and no overheating issues. I'm guessing rings/ringlands, but I've read it could also be valve seals. If it were valve seals, is that easier and/or less expensive than swapping the motor? I'll do all labor myself.

car is running well out of boost (daily driver, not boosting, not driving far, but need to get to work every day) and my other dilemma is where to replace the motor if that's the next step... working on getting a house w/in 6 months and I think this motor if babied will make it, can't do a motor swap in my apartment parking space, but I could pull the head....

I appreciate any advice, I know some of you have been through this before. thanks. -B
Old 08-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just throw some pistons and rods in there if trhe cylinder walls arent to bad. its a sunday project also thrwo some oil in cylinder 3 and do another best and see if the numbers go up
Old 08-12-2004, 09:50 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: compression test results not good - need advice on next step... (notoriousB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vaporboy12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just throw some pistons and rods in there if trhe cylinder walls arent to bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I say build it You will be out of the car for a few days but it will be sooooo much stronger when you get it back
Old 08-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compression test results not good - need advice on next step... (notoriousB)

Yea, **** spending $500 on a stock block that is gonna blow again. Put that money towards pistons, then rods and bearings and a headgasket and your set.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compression test results not good - need advice on next step... (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea, **** spending $500 on a stock block that is gonna blow again. Put that money towards pistons, then rods and bearings and a headgasket and your set.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It could be something wrong with the head though. Valves maybe.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compression test results not good - need advice on next step... (m R g S r)

thanks everyone so far.

I forgot to mention that I did add a capful of oil into cylinder 3 and the compression went up to about 150-155, +20-25 additional psi w/ the oil

can I swap pistons/rods with the engine in the car? the reason I ask is that I can't pull the motor in my current location (stupid landlord LOL)

keep 'em coming!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notoriousB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
can I swap pistons/rods with the engine in the car? the reason I ask is that I can't pull the motor in my current location (stupid landlord LOL)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but it would be better to take the block out and have it honed. The cylinder walls may be damaged.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's a bad news B.

here's what i found:

Leakdown Test:

To perform a leakdown, start by taking off the oil cap off. Then you bring the cylinder to top dead center (TDC). Hook up the leakdown attachment to an air compressor and screw it in the spark plug hole. Turn the compressor on and bring the cylinder pressure to the factory spec. (Consult your Helms manual for this number.) The attachment allows air into the cylinder and brings it to the factory pressure. You then listen for air coming out of the manifolds. If you hear air hissing out of either manifold or the muffler you have bad valve seals. If you hear air hissing out of the oil cap or breather valve (if the oil cap is still on the motor), then chance are your rings are bad.

i'd do a leakdown, then locate the source of the leak. then replace the broken parts. if you're getting a house in 6 months, it might be hard to replace the broken internals. how long did bron run on 3.5 cyls?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ash.zero)

I'll have to pay someone to do the leakdown... it may be worth it tho just to know where the problem is, tho it's hard to find a mechanic who I can be sure will know what the hell they're doing. that's why I do my own work. maybe I can find a compressor I can borrow.

hell b_ron's motor was much worse than mine (something like 50 100 0 0 comp. test I think ) I just don't want to fugg up my block (more?) by driving it too much

bump!