Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   clutch woes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/clutch-woes-45001/)

Drag3GSR 06-13-2001 07:45 PM

clutch woes

well I finally killed my clutch tonight... need to order a new one tomarow...
I have been using an ACT extreme pp /w stock disk, and I liked it a lot... what do you guys think I should get now... keep in mind that I hope to get dfi soon (maybee this summer) in which case I am hoping for close to 500whp, so I might as well get a capable clutch now.. opinions??

when the clutch broke, I did my burnout, it felt funny.. I launched and it felt good, I went to shift to second and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor... I coasted down the track pulle doff an turned it off.. when I turned it back on the pedal came up (fluid in the resevoir was fine) and I could put it in gear, but when I went to engage the clutch there was a horrible metalic grinding... what does that mean? could it just be the disk needs replacing, or do I need a new pp too??

thanks
-Dan

TurboT 06-13-2001 09:17 PM

Re: clutch woes (Drag3GSR)

buy my stage 4 clutch specialties...
it'll hold any hp you throw at it...

mr. rogers uses the clutch package...
i would contact him for pedal feel, etc...

TurboInteg95 06-13-2001 09:59 PM

if you're producing that much hp, you might need a beefier clutch then anything that's readily available on the market. Ask B18Bturbo about his clutch, you might need something like that depending on your HP.

BowSeR 06-13-2001 11:54 PM

Re: clutch woes (TurboInteg95)

i run a ACT extreme with a clutch specialties six puck sprung hub i like the way it grabs and it handles the power im putting out

Seraph0 06-14-2001 06:09 PM

Re: clutch woes (BowSeR)

I don't know if a full-face will suit your needs anymore Dan. Not after you get DFI. If I were you I would try the CluthNET 6-puck sprung-hub disk. In fact, I am probably going to do that exact setup here shortly. My ACT eXtreme PP with the clutchnet 6-puck. You may not need a new pres. plate if it's only the disk that is shattered or something. But if the pedal went limp like that... it may be the pres. plate that actually disintegrated. Better take a careful look at the flywheel too.. http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emcrook.gif

sjoback 06-14-2001 06:29 PM

You may have broken or popped out the springs in the clutch disc. Sounds exactly like the same symptoms my sister's car had.

the pressure plate may still be usable, but you'd have to check it out to be sure.

[Modified by sjoback, 7:30 PM 6/14/2001]

Drag3GSR 06-14-2001 11:36 PM

Re: clutch woes (MarkC)

I called ACT today and described the problem to them. they told me it sounded like a pad came off the face and got jammed in the pp that is why the pedal stayed down, then it probably came out, that is why the pedal is fine now... they were very cool and very helpful... they told me to send in the clutch & pp and they would replace it under warranty, even though I have about 25,000 miles on it!! customer service like that is unheard of in this industry! I am verry impressed by their product (I am amazed at how a street disk has held up this long with my 8000 rpm dumps on slicks) and their service was top notch as I said.

They also told me the disk has a new design and should work better now... so I am going to give it another try... the other thing they told me was that since I am getting near the max power of that clutch if I went with a "race clutch" I would be likely to start breaking things, so it isnt a bad idea to have the clutch be the weaker link... I would much rather the clutch slip a little than an axle or tranny break... (I still have another 50ft lbs of torque to go anyway before I max out the clutch)

B18CXr 06-15-2001 06:01 AM

I'm almost positive your facing came off. I've heard your exact story before and ended up being either, slave cylinder or clutch facing......