Notices

Clutch Disc Inertia & Shifting Engagement

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Disc Inertia & Shifting Engagement

Ok i'm looking into clutches and i've come across the SPEC stage 3+. I had an oportunity to check the clutch assembly out at fall nationals at Etown this year. I really like the clutch but I'm curious about its weight.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thred, i wasnt sure which thred heading to put this in

The clutch is a full face disc with carbon semi-metalic materials. Its rated for 400ft\lbs which is up from 325 that the stage 4 and regualr stage 3 offer. And with the full face offeres better drivability than a puck clutch. Now i dont mind a puck as i have a 6 puck in the car now but its got 22k hard mile son it and will no longer hold 2nd and 3rd gear burnouts even on street tires let alone slicks.

The clutch disc and definatly heavier than a 6 puck or a stage 5 full metalic disc. I really want to know with the added inertia from the weight of the disc if this clutch will give me problems with gear engagement aka grinding or accelerate wear on the syncros and sleeves and maybe not grind at first but end up grinding gears.

I have a gsr trans with new 3rd gear and 3-4 sleeve and al new syncros and springs. I went through the trans and inspected everything and measured for wear limits and everything is within spec. its a 70k miles grs trans and everything internally was like new condition so its a great trans other than 3rd gear was worn from grinding becaus ei installed carbon syncros and like an iddiot missed putting the syncro spring back in place so over time it started to grind 3rd gear so i went ahead and replaced the gear and sleeve and syncros and springs.

Any information people have on clutch disc weight and gear transition would be very helpful.

To me it seems that having more rotating mass on the disc which is directly connected to the input shaft will have more inertia on the shaft and cause issues with the syncro slowing the gears down for a clean smooth shift, or am i getting it backwards and it will only keep the shaft rotating but the gears will still stop correctly from the syncros. Please advise
Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Disc Inertia & Shifting Engagement

No one?