Notices

Clutch adjustment?...bounced off the rev limiter after 2-3 shift like it was in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch adjustment?...bounced off the rev limiter after 2-3 shift like it was in neutral

I recently had an ACT XTSS and Quaife installed. Tonight I launched from a standstill and spun through 1st and 2nd, then when I shifted to 3rd I couldn't feel the tires spinning at all and instantly bounced off the rev limiter 3 times. It went into 3rd gear with no problems, but it was like the car was in neutral because the rev limiter came on so suddenly. There was no clutch smell whatsoever, only tire. Very strange. Keep in mind that my car isn't really fast, and even before I had the Quaife installed it would always grab in 3rd. It's just an untuned Greddy kit.

I drove down the road a little and was able to chirp 2nd and 3rd without spinning the tires from a standstill. My thoughts are that since the clutch engages higher up that maybe it was still disengaged for some reason. Does this sound right? Would an adjustment possibly help? I know absolutely nothing about how Quaifes work, so could it possibly be the Quaife?

I don't know if this means anything, but just to include all information, I had some urethane motor mount inserts installed the other day. When I picked the car up the shifting seemed looser and went into gear easier. The ACT squeal doesn't happen as much for some reason, but has been replaced by more drivetrain noise that I can't identify as well as the valves souding louder. I know the motor mounts are supposed to increase vibration at idle, but has anyone experienced other engine noises increased after installing these?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clutch adjustment?...bounced off the rev limiter after 2-3 shift like it was in neutral (The Dud

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=581148

read this post
Old 08-03-2003, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch adjustment?...bounced off the rev limiter after 2-3 shift like it was in neutral (The Dud

Thanks MiraiZ, I posted in that thread but you don't recognize me because I changed my avatar. I wanted to create a new thread because this might not be a problem with the ACT, but an adjustment issue (hopefully ).
Old 08-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I spoke to one of the guys at the shop who installed the clutch and he seems to think my Skunk2 short shifter might have made me think it was in gear when it actually wasn't. I hope this is true because after this happened to me last night I was about to sell the car and buy a cheap hatchback and keep it NA. I hate worrying about my car! It really felt like it was in gear, though. He had the same problem with his short shifter and got rid of it for this reason. Does anyone have an opinion about this?