Notices

Click Click Boom? D series guys help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click Click Boom? D series guys help!

Since my STOCK boosted D16Z6 has half the motor missing on the drivers side after a really nice launch at 10 psi and a 2 step hitting off at 6000. I wanted to know, Do you's think that it just was a rod that let loose and or my MSD (6 AL) caused something to do with it? I seen guys on here running stock motors for years and not having them blow up...Now mines 6 months old and shot...But Now I want to drop a GSR and throw a little boost (8-10 psi) and drive it offten. My main question is should I be conserned about the rods as much as I did in my D16?? I heard stock GSRs can handle 350 hp easily? Hope someone can help me out!!

My setup was:

Greddy turbo kit

RC 440 injectors

2 1/2 inch intercooler piping

2 1/2 inch downpipe

38 mm external wastegate

turbo xs RFL bov

b16 throttle body

Zex cam

And most of all important mods it was tuned on NEPTUNE!

185 hp sae corrected 95 degree humid day on 9 psi( very conservative timing tune and 11.0 air/fuel)
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Click Click Boom? D series guys help! (Hondatuner88)

I can't really say more than...**** happens. Seeing as to how I ran uberdata for a while on a $200 complete z6 swap, s-trim t3/t04b @10psi, I can't firgure out how that could happen besides an oiling issue or the 2step creating some odd lean issue. I know the previous owner of my coupe threw a rod in the last 2 blocks, mainly because of not changing/adding oil, as well as running some dumb chip with WAY too much timing.

With a GSR you have much thicker rods, a better R/S ratio, wider pistons that can take more timing, and overall a better head. My brother's last car was a stock 96 gsr with a drag turbo kit, obd2 w/fmu. The previous owner got 302whp at 10psi, and ran around 260whp at 7psi. It only failed for the next owner because he would beat the **** out of it, stop the car, and turn if off w/o cooling off. He says he thought it had a turbo timer...obviously he didn't even know the function of one. Regardless, if you care for it, it will take that power. Keep in mind cast pistons can only take so much, and it obviously won't last 50000miles boosting 350whp on stock pistons daily.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM

did you even make it off the line?

if not then i would say the antilag had soemthing to do with it

you can not use antilag for a long peroid of time or **** will break

the point of antilag is to retard timing so the gas would ignite on the hot manifold creating boost

i have read somewhere that anything over a few seconds is killer on the motor
Old 09-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackCRX)

Yeah I made it off the line and into 3rd gear, I never hit it off the 2step for more than a few seconds...I just usally get myself ready first and grab the ebrake a lil bit then get the 2 step going ready for a nice launch, What high end EMS systems have things like a launch control built into them?? Anyone know?? Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Hondatuner88)

2 step isn't true anti-lag (2 steps pull spark, not timing), and even at that anti-lag is a turbo-killer. Sometimes when the turbine wheel shatters, the shaft allows the compressor wheel to grind/shatter, and that gets into the engine.

It depends on what you call launch control. No system has a good traction control feature, mainly because pulling timing/spark/fuel during boost in severe amounts can be very dangerous. Full-throttle launch is in most standalones, but only a few (neptune for sure, aem?) have dual maps that would let you do consistent/relatively safe anti-lag at the strip.

Anyways, I didn't quite catch the part in your 1st post about boosting while stopped. Bouncing off a rev limiter (of any sort) while at 10psi isn't a smart thing to do with any stock motor. People's d16s last for years boosted because they don't beat them senseless. If you want a car that pulls a G of accelleration off the line AND is reliable, get a stock corvette with a warranty. I hate sounding like an ***, but common sense owns you.