Notices

Cleaning up dirty turbo manifolds/what surface finish

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cleaning up dirty turbo manifolds/what surface finish

So I'm trying to clean up 2 turbo manifolds, both are 16g 304 stainless. a Trust sr20 manifold and an HKS T51R v-band manifold (both look almost identical too) They both have less than 500 miles but are just dirty, looks like from oil leaks and things of that nature.

Trust manifold

HKS manifold

you can see in that last picture the ISIS bottom mount I just got done cleaning up. I gave it a brushed finish and I really dig it

I started with scotch brite pads just to see how bad it was and a few areas like runner #1, the wastegate tubes and the back of the manifolds werent too bad. any shiny spot you see is where i hit it with the pad then followed with 2000 grit just to see what the overall surface finish was like. I'm thinking I need to be aggressive, possibly a brass wheel followed by 400-800-1000-2000 to get it nice and polished, or would I be better off with a brushed finish? Im not sure if im going to ceramic coat these yet or leave them natural.. If I leave them natural i'd like a finish that best shows the heat coloring.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: Cleaning up dirty turbo manifolds/what surface finish

and yes I know my garage is dirty, in the middle of packing up to move so its a nightmare

but don't they look almost identical? Im starting to think Trust/Greddy and HKS farmed out their fabrication
Old 06-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both are made in china.
but have them shipped to japan before shipping elsewhere, so they can be labeled as Japan...
customs loopholes that make the public think that hks/trust/greddy handmakes any mass produced parts in Japan.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always just used long strips of scotch brite and rubbed in a back and forth motion. seemed to always work great for me.

if you want to leave them natural looking then want that nice golden brown color, an old trick we used to do on alot of our manifolds was install it, get the manifold nice and hot then spray Windex liberally on everything area you can see. It will boil off very quickly, but if you arent satisfied with the coverage or color, simply go for another drive, get the manifold hot and repeat the steps. always made the piping end welds look incredible.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^

Interesting. Ill keep that in mind
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

i've already gone through 2 full packs of scotch brite.. which is why i said i might need to get more aggressive with it
Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

update: so i finally found my brass wire wheel... I've accomplished more in 10 minutes than I did with hours of scotch brite pads... I think this will work for all but the tightest spots.

HKS:

Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever grit you finish with go over it with 00 steel wool. that will give it a mirror finish. it also works well for taking off rust spots.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

yea ive got 00 and 2k grit, this took out most of the surface imperfections as well, not just the staining
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hit my cast mani with a sand blaster, made it look like new.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapturbo
both are made in china.
but have them shipped to japan before shipping elsewhere, so they can be labeled as Japan...
customs loopholes that make the public think that hks/trust/greddy handmakes any mass produced parts in Japan.
Actually.. Taiwan, and that was the later models that did that.. Not "China". It all depends upon the standard that HKS gives the manufacturer. They still make most of their manifolds and such in-house. I was at the HKS HQ at the last Tokyo Auto Salon tour in 2010. They still make a lot of their own stuff, but it was mainly exhaust manifolds, wastegates and special projects.

I'm just sick and tired of people thinking that some of these items made in different countries are part of some "conspiracy". If that's the case, you shouldn't wear the pants you have on because it too wasn't made in the same in-house facility as where their marketing is located. Off-site manufacturing is all part of business.. not a conspiracy.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Actually.. Taiwan, and that was the later models that did that.. Not "China". It all depends upon the standard that HKS gives the manufacturer. They still make most of their manifolds and such in-house. I was at the HKS HQ at the last Tokyo Auto Salon tour in 2010. They still make a lot of their own stuff, but it was mainly exhaust manifolds, wastegates and special projects.

I'm just sick and tired of people thinking that some of these items made in different countries are part of some "conspiracy". If that's the case, you shouldn't wear the pants you have on because it too wasn't made in the same in-house facility as where their marketing is located. Off-site manufacturing is all part of business.. not a conspiracy.
has anyone ever really met this person? and what happened to your fake english accent/err "business partner"?
I didn't mention China/ROC being a bad thing. as long as they have a good control of standards, humans are humans. I was just stating a fact.
honhai/foxconn couldn't make the iphone what it was on there own of course, but apple doesn't lie about the origins of products either..
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

has anyone ever really met this person? and what happened to your fake english accent/err "business partner"?
I didn't mention China/ROC being a bad thing. as long as they have a good control of standards, humans are humans. I was just stating a fact.
honhai/foxconn couldn't make the iphone what it was on there own of course, but apple doesn't lie about the origins of products either..
The question is, has anyone ever met you?, Mr. I want people to think I have a new account when I actually have 3 to hide all transparency and create chaos. On a webforum, that sure is a silly question.. I think I've known wantboost now for... 6, maybe 7 years? This is beyond childish here. Please don't try to deflect your comments to become personal attacks just because you're incorrect with a small geographic location, it just makes you look foolish, not smarter. (Your fact was incorrect, even if its just a matter of location) If you have personal issues with me, please keep it to PM or even e-mail, and let wantboost do what he'd like to show. I have no disrespect for anyone here, because I keep it friendly and to the point.. It seems you'd rather just try and disrepect others to get a rise out of them..

And my partner is Australian.. not British.. Geography class anyone?

In all 4 of your posts on this forum, at least 1 were attacks on other people without any merit. Especially those that seem to help others and are the most of a threat to you, for whatever reason it may be.

to DDTECH-ALLMOTOR
funny that every post I see of yours is trying to sell someone on cams...
you are so helpful, yet only seem to know the "fix" if you can sell it to them lol
What this leads me to believe is that you were either a member on here that got banned once, had their account closed, or just some angry person that wants to feel important by creating a new "anonymous" account to try and insist on perpetuating BS that makes this community have the reputation that it does as of late. Either way, it doesn't matter, I suppose.

Just leave it alone.. No one will bother you if you don't bother them.. leave it at that, ok?

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-03-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

You can media blast a cast manifold without issue as they don't have smooth surfaces to begin with. A tubular 16g manifold you can only hit them with walnut shells or corn husk... Glass maybe. You don't want to etch the surface.

And I've known mac for almost 7 years... He's never led me wrong and is one of the most knowledgeable people in this game.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I put in about 30 minutes and its looking promising. Only problem is flying pieces of wire wheel.. I found 3 or 4 pieces in hair when i laid down.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM
I live under a rock

Or you could just skip everything and wrap them...... lol.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
You can media blast a cast manifold without issue as they don't have smooth surfaces to begin with. A tubular 16g manifold you can only hit them with walnut shells or corn husk... Glass maybe. You don't want to etch the surface.

And I've known mac for almost 7 years... He's never led me wrong and is one of the most knowledgeable people in this game.
First I said I did this to a cast mani not a tubular. Second blasting a tubular mani will not hurt it at all it will just leave a blasted finish instead of a polished finished. I blasted a down pipe as well and it came out looking fine, like aluminiumised mild steel.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by spoolinlude
Or you could just skip everything and wrap them...... lol.
I might end up wrapping them but I want them clean when I do it. I've seen what happens when you wrap something with this kind of surface contamination, it basically bakes it into the tubing.

i might end up selling them, although I have 5 sr20s in my garage right now that I need to build, so I might end up running them. if I ceramic coat, wrap, or just polish I want them clean... I'm **** retentive that way.

TheShodan can tell you just how bad I am about that. I've hand polished compressor wheels when they get dirty, right now my civic and s13 are rolling chassis and i still wash and wax them lol.

I might end up having them both walnut shell blasted, the greddy manifold is proving harder to clean than the HKS, not sure why... It seems like some of the mandrel bends stretched the tubing so its grain kinda shows.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
First I said I did this to a cast mani not a tubular. Second blasting a tubular mani will not hurt it at all it will just leave a blasted finish instead of a polished finished. I blasted a down pipe as well and it came out looking fine, like aluminiumised mild steel.
you must of done it briefly... some of the guys around here dont know what lighty blasting is... they etch the **** out of anything that gets in front of their gun