Notices

CIVIC SI question On Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CIVIC SI question On Turbo

Can anyone here who has actually turbo charged an SI Civic B16A engine or somewhat similar tell me if its a good idea or not--- i ve been puzzle for some time now if i should go N/a or Turbo-- Can someone give me some info on the Turbo end?!! If there is any negative side effects -

Thanks alot.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CIVIC SI question On Turbo (Sephiroth)

I have a 2000 Civic Si with a Drag III kit. A powerful N/A b16 motor is not an easy goal, unless you are an engine god. My rule of thumb that I have found is you have two options: "Big displacement and N/A....or....Small Displacement and turbo". Of course big displacement and turbo also fit well niceley together. Anyway, I love my turbo'd b16 and I would never go back to N/A. No matter what the ricers tell you.....a cold air intake, header, and exhaust does not add 100 horsepower. cheers.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CIVIC SI question On Turbo (Hoodwinked)

well said
Old 11-24-2003, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the info man-- How much did it all cost you if you dont mind me asking?!? and what hp at wheel you have now that you turbo charged the b 16.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sephiroth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info man-- How much did it all cost you if you dont mind me asking?!? and what hp at wheel you have now that you turbo charged the b 16. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My Drag III kit cost me $2700.00...and that is with the Tial wastegate. Keep in mind with a turbo charged engine...there is much more than just a turbo kit needed. A new clutch is most likley needed, an exhaust system, ect. Turbo is the way to go in my opinion. I am maing about 200 whp on 5 psi on a V-AFC hack. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im still in the process of boostin my 99 si but once i get done ill be in it about 3500 and plan on running about 10 psi and looking for at least 250-265 whp with 10 psi.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Re: CIVIC SI question On Turbo (tgh99si)

K thats cool one other thing--- i just put in an order for Mugen muffler-- can that be used with a Turbo kit- and i also asked for the header 4-1 -- should i still get these 2 parts ?? or does the Drag 3 turbo come with a header- or what not.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:10 PM

Return both mugen items.

The twin loop IMO is too small for a turbo car. You want piping that will be either 2.5 inches or 3 inches.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use the search function..and read read read read..
please dont buy anything else before you read and understand what you need to do.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:41 PM

Default Re: CIVIC SI question On Turbo (SiRkid)

I turbo'ed my 99 si early this year. I didn't know much then. I too have a drag III kit. The manifold sucks and so does the delta wastegate. Other than that the kit is great. I swithched to hondata and an intank fuel pump. Tunning is the key. I paid 2799.00 for my kit and thought I was good to go. Use the search and read as much as you can. I wish I found this site before I went turbo. I have no regrets, turbo is the only way to go. I can't imagine not having it.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:30 AM

Default Re: CIVIC SI question On Turbo (tslag)

Aight thanks again guys for the information= one question wasnt answered tho did any of you guys have problem with your car after installing it? i mean say a couple of years down the road any negative feeds?
Old 11-25-2003, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finished my turbo install today. It was fun. Read up alot like everyone said. If you like the twinloop you can keep it and run an exhaust cutout after the downpipe. As far as the header question. Let me explain something to you: a turbo car uses a specific manifold that the turbo bolts too. Not only that there is another flange ( a metal piece where a wastegate bolts too) a wastegate regulates the boost and has a spring inside it that allows the exhaust gasses in the exhaust manfold to be released at a certain psi. Then on the side of the turbo u bolt up a tube called a downpipe which is basically the "one" part on the 4-1 header. that runs back into your exhaust out the back of the car. like i said get a cut out. its great you can read up on it but basically you can open and close it and run stock exhaust for daily driving and open it and run open down pipe (dp) when racing. Thats all I'm gonna type for now but if you have more questions send me an instant message on here or on aim and ill try to help you out. later. Oh I almost forgot, go to http://www.howstuffworks.com and type in turbocharger. alright later.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:31 AM

Default Re: CIVIC SI question On Turbo (Ek00fbp)

check these two threads out. this doesn't mean stop searching after them, its just the tip of the iceberg
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=635014 one of the best how-to's i've seen on this site.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=679012 and yes buy the 150 precison upgrade. if your already spending 3g's whats another 150 bucks

read both of those, then search about anything you don't understand.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:10 AM
JO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sephiroth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aight thanks again guys for the information= one question wasnt answered tho did any of you guys have problem with your car after installing it? i mean say a couple of years down the road any negative feeds?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The transition from N/A wasn't that easy for me, I blew up rings on 3 of my pistons (need new pistons/rods), overheated because my new engine fan was hooked backward ( ), the inlinePRO manifold kept losing bolts so I got that welded and I still need a little bit of street tuning.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:26 PM

Default Re: CIVIC SI question On Turbo (JO)

Aight this helps me out alot thanks guys-