Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Chubludc2's need for advice on a turbo build that's in progress (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/chubludc2s-need-advice-turbo-build-thats-progress-3329305/)

Chubludc2 10-23-2018 01:19 PM

Chubludc2's need for advice on a turbo build that's in progress

I have a 2001 integra gsr, I want to boost i have a good amount of parts I'll answer any questions and take pics you need more, this car ran great no problems bought bone stock, about a year ago some cool guys stole it, so as I was already gathering parts I figured what the hell, lets boost it, I just really want to know what should I keep what can I get rid of, I'll post some pics and gladly answer any questions.

TheShodan 10-23-2018 04:23 PM

re: Chubludc2's need for advice on a turbo build that's in progress

What are you ultimately asking? Whether to do it is not? Whether or not you have the right parts?

This is ridiculous. You are responsible for all questions you want to ask, and what direction you want to go into. Stop having us read minds, and get as much details and photos you want/need.

I've never seen a build thread start like this.. And it shouldn't ever happen again., so please proceed, but not like this..

Txdragon 10-24-2018 07:48 AM

:sus:

93h2beg 10-24-2018 06:25 PM

No this a great thread. Let's all guess what quality parts he has.

cx racing turbo manifold, log design. Bought it a few years ago.

ebay copy of Garrett turbo, bought used off craigslist, claimed it was rebuilt

Chipped p28 ECU with ebay sourced tune

used Volvo intercooler, got a screaming good deal on it.

what else do I need... I have a 75$ amazon gift card so I can prolly get anything else I need there.

Gary Rekowzki 10-24-2018 06:50 PM

"goals=9,000 or maybe 900 horsepower"

Balor_Gr 10-25-2018 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chubludc2 (Post 51761647)
I have a 2001 integra gsr, I want to boost i have a good amount of parts I'll answer any questions and take pics you need more, this car ran great no problems bought bone stock, about a year ago some cool guys stole it, so as I was already gathering parts I figured what the hell, lets boost it, I just really want to know what should I keep what can I get rid of, I'll post some pics and gladly answer any questions.

Post some pictures!

Chubludc2 10-25-2018 02:54 PM

Hahah ok you guys are right, you guys cant read minds and such lol, here's a quick list of parts I've collected
-skunk2 ultra street intake manifold
-skunk2 70mm alpha series throttle body
-57mm Borg Warner t4 turbo
-speedfactory top mount turbo manifold
-1000cc ID injectors
-chipped p28 on chrome
-skunk2 composite fuel rail
-aeromotive fuel regulator
-4bar map sensor
-g-plus oil cooler kit
-intercooler (with pipping)
-grams oil filled fuel gauge
-AEM 320lph fuel pump
-AEM high flow fuel filter
-ATI super damper
-skunk2 half core radiator

That's about everything I have, also asking what do I keep in side my baby, do I need the EVAP solenoid any more ? The canister is huge and I would like the space. And I would like roughly about 400whp I want to have fun with the car and use it on as a daily, and again sorry for not mentioning all this stuff, thank you guys for reading looking forward to your comments

Txdragon 10-25-2018 03:16 PM

Sounds like a good start. May want to rethink the throttle body. I had ZERO issues with my S2 70mm while I was N/A but it started sticking after I boosted. Best I can figure is a problem with thermal expansion, engine bay temps much higher with the boost.. Anyhow, I've tried almost all of the possible solutions to this issue and none of them have helped.

wunfstgsr 10-25-2018 05:24 PM

Just call Goautoworks.com and ask them, this kit right here should be good enough! id go with a ball bearing turbo but just ask them and save your self time.

GO-AUTOWORKS Street Turbo Kit Honda Civic Acura Integra Del Sol CRX D16 B16 B18

Chubludc2 10-25-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51764040)
Sounds like a good start. May want to rethink the throttle body. I had ZERO issues with my S2 70mm while I was N/A but it started sticking after I boosted. Best I can figure is a problem with thermal expansion, engine bay temps much higher with the boost.. Anyhow, I've tried almost all of the possible solutions to this issue and none of them have helped.

so even a fan switch that activate them sooner is no good? Or even a thermal gasket from the intake manifold to the head is still no good ?? I have one fan on at the moment and was seeing how I can mount a second, and get the fan switch sensor and the gasket

Txdragon 10-25-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chubludc2 (Post 51764184)
so even a fan switch that activate them sooner is no good? Or even a thermal gasket from the intake manifold to the head is still no good ?? I have one fan on at the moment and was seeing how I can mount a second, and get the fan switch sensor and the gasket

I thought a good next step would be a thermal gasket between the IM and TB, but it's just an attempt. May be on to something with that.

TheShodan 10-25-2018 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51764040)

I have had 6 of those Alpha 70mm TBs. All turbocharged. Never an issue. The billet series on the other hand......

TheShodan 10-25-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51764218)
I thought a good next step would be a thermal gasket between the IM and TB, but it's just an attempt. May be on to something with that.

Careful. Those spacers also push back the injector bodies so that they may not have the correct spray pattern. I admit, I've only used outlaw Engineering, but they no longer make those complete gaskets.

The number of fans you have are irrelevant; its the quality and fitment layout of the ONE fan you have that makes the difference in engine coolant temperatures. Engine bay temperatures require an entirely different approach.

Chubludc2 10-26-2018 02:25 AM

Just got my fuel delivery done, I welded it my self, I still have my OEM assembly incase this one is no good I'll correct my mistake, but I think it should work, I'm running a -6an hose to the the filter and from the filter to the fuel rail and so on and so forth

Txdragon 10-26-2018 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51764238)
I have had 6 of those Alpha 70mm TBs. All turbocharged. Never an issue. The billet series on the other hand......

This one isn't the billet. Good ol' Alpha series 70mm. No issues for the year I had it N/A. Problem didn't start until I boosted. Either I'm unlucky or the butterfly gets sticky past certain temps. **shrug**

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51764240)
Careful. Those spacers also push back the injector bodies so that they may not have the correct spray pattern. I admit, I've only used outlaw Engineering, but they no longer make those complete gaskets.

A throttle body gasket shouldn't affect the injectors. I said a thermal gasket between the TB and IM, not a thermal intake gasket!

Chance EG 10-26-2018 05:38 AM

T4 turbo with a top mount is going to be very laggy on the street, and way oversized for 400WHP.

Something like a 3071 T3 or Vband with a shorter turbular or InlinePro style manifold would spool much sooner and still hit the target WHP.

TheShodan 10-26-2018 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51764343)
This one isn't the billet. Good ol' Alpha series 70mm. No issues for the year I had it N/A. Problem didn't start until I boosted. Either I'm unlucky or the butterfly gets sticky past certain temps. **shrug**

I think that's just buzzards Mitch right there. Or, bad batch of cars may have come through

A throttle body gasket shouldn't affect the injectors. I said a thermal gasket between the TB and IM, not a thermal intake gasket!
I realized I goofed.. Reading failed me yesterday.. My bad..

TheShodan 10-26-2018 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51764457)
T4 turbo with a top mount is going to be very laggy on the street, and way oversized for 400WHP.

Something like a 3071 T3 or Vband with a shorter turbular or InlinePro style manifold would spool much sooner and still hit the target WHP.

Absolutely. The days of oversized turbines/drag-race purpose parts for street setups should be numbered. Stop the insanity now, my friend.

Autoworks 10-26-2018 08:15 AM

Re: I need advice on a turbo build

Effectiveness vs Aesthetics...the Honda build mental debate

TheShodan 10-26-2018 09:35 AM

Re: I need advice on a turbo build

Originally Posted by Autoworks (Post 51764722)
Effectiveness vs Aesthetics...the Honda build mental debate

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...b65e9f761a.gif

Chubludc2 10-26-2018 10:38 AM

Re: Chubludc2's need for advice on a turbo build that's in progress

Damn so everything i have is just not going to work at all ? I didnt think the turbo was all that big compared to some of the people I see around here, damn I'm gonna have to rethink about everything I have.

Chance EG 10-26-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chubludc2 (Post 51764940)
Damn so everything i have is just not going to work at all ? I didnt think the turbo was all that big compared to some of the people I see around here, damn I'm gonna have to rethink about everything I have.

No, all your other parts look 100% fine to me. Just the turbo and manifold that I'd swap out if possible

I'd recommend either one of the tubular manifolds from Go-Auto, or even one of his cast iron T3 manifolds. That, plus a GT3071 would be able to reach 400WHP and spool MUCH faster than the setup you have right now.

TheShodan 10-26-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51765043)
No, all your other parts look 100% fine to me. Just the turbo and manifold that I'd swap out if possible

I'd recommend either one of the tubular manifolds from Go-Auto, or even one of his cast iron T3 manifolds. That, plus a GT3071 would be able to reach 400WHP and spool MUCH faster than the setup you have right now.

Yeah a 57mms compressor with a T4 housing means a huge exhaust wheel. Low backpressure ( which is good), but very laggy and causes the compressor to be overworked. There's a reason why they're so cheap, because they were designed for tractor pulls and OEM Truck applications. Real risks cost real money ($800+)

Chubludc2 10-30-2018 01:49 AM

Ok I'm understanding what y'all are saying about my turbo choice and manifold and such, but I wanted this set up I wanted to get to 400whp but I also wanted to get past it cause we all want more power eventually lol, so what can I buy or do to get this turbo to spool

Autoworks 10-30-2018 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chubludc2 (Post 51767536)
Ok I'm understanding what y'all are saying about my turbo choice and manifold and such, but I wanted this set up I wanted to get to 400whp but I also wanted to get past it cause we all want more power eventually lol, so what can I buy or do to get this turbo to spool

That's a very difficult question to ask. It's broad and can be answered several different ways. Will what you have listed make 400hp and more...yes. Are they the best "fit" for doing so "effectively"...no, not in my opinion. Could you change a few of the parts to make the car a more "enjoyable" 4-500hp "street" car...yes. To get a specific answer you will have to ask a specific question. People use 35Rs/62mm turbos on top mounts to make 300whp all the time , and it does it...that doesn't make it a good or favorable combination. It could be done in a much better, much more effective manor. The turbo will spool. It will make 400whp+ if you are number chasing. The power # isn't the "issue", it's where it is going to put the power. You can "place" the power more effectively with a change of a few parts.