Notices

Chris Rado loses a 20k cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Future Texas Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris Rado loses a 20k cell phone?

Sorry if this is a repost, it`s too funny!

Theft disconnects man from phone valued at $20,000
A Muhlenberg resident says his platinum cell phone was stolen from him as he visited a Florida nightclub.
By Kori Walter
Reading Eagle

Christian Rado's alcohol-fueled Toyota Celica dragster barrels down quarter-mile tracks in less than 10 seconds.

The Muhlenberg Township resident said someone in an Orlando, Fla., nightclub worked almost as fast as that early Monday to pilfer his week-old, $20,000 platinum cellular phone.

Hollywood starlet Gywneth Paltrow and pop diva Madonna own similar customized phones manufactured by London-based Vertu Ltd.

The phones nicknamed the Rolex of the cell phone world have sapphire face plates and ruby bearings in the keypad.

Rado, 27, admired the sense of fashion, style, technology and quality the phone conveyed.

“There's no other phone that represents that out there,” he said. “It's an expression of me.”

Orlando police could not be reached for comment.

Rado races imported compact cars in a professional series when not working as a facilities manager at World Electronics a Muhlenberg circuit-board manufacturing company owned by his parents.

After appearing at the Central Florida International Auto Show to promote a 1,500-horsepower Toyota dragster, Rado and two friends headed to a downtown Orlando club at about 11 Sunday night.

The group was in a roped-off, upstairs VIP lounge where there were about 50 people, Rado said.

Rado said the phone that a Beverly Hills, Calif., boutique had delivered to him about a week earlier was gone at 2 a.m.

“I'm not the kind of person who panics,” Rado said. “I'm the kind of guy who is used to going 180 mph.”

Rado said the phone, which is insured, was in a black leather case. He estimated it was swiped from a round table littered with bottles and cans sometime between 1:46 a.m. after he finished a call to a friend in California and 2 a.m.

“I had a couple drinks, but not that many,” Rado said. “I wouldn't lose a $20,000 cell phone. I'm thinking that somebody saw it and thought it was a cool pair of sunglasses and picked it up.”

Rado was standing most of the night, but said he never strayed far from the table where he set the phone.

“I'm an extremely observant person,” he said. “Whoever took it would have had to brush past me.”

Though the culprit has not placed a call, Rado said about 50 calls were made to the phone's voice mail system between 2:09 and 4:30 Monday morning.

Rado described the phone, which costs more than some cars, as an investment and a marketing tool.

Vertu plans to make just 1,000 of the phones, meaning their value should increase over time, Rado said, adding that he expected the phone to generate valuable publicity for his racing team.

Whoever picked up the phone should not be too enthusiastic.

The phone uses a unique charger available only from the manufacturer. So after the two-day battery is dead, Rado said the phone is pretty much useless.

Rado figures not even pawn shops would risk fencing the rare phone.

“It's just a pricey ticket to jail now,” Rado said.

The Vertu

Vertu phones were dubbed the mobile phone for the super-rich by Forbes magazine when the pricey gadgets debuted in August.

The nearly 5-inch long phones weigh about a half-pound and come with a carrying case made with the same leather used in Rolls-Royce automobiles.

The Vertu Web site boasts that a button on the side of the phone allows owners to call a 24-hour concierge service for making restaurant reservations or ordering theater tickets.

And the cellular network spans the United States, Europe and Asia, according to the company.

Old 12-15-2002, 05:53 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Chris Rado loses a 20k cell phone? (vtecvoodoo)

yet another repost of this, and i dont think it belongs in here but i am not a mod of this forum....
Old 12-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Chris Rado loses a 20k cell phone? (falc0n)

Yes, Member's Corner please.