Notices

Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals

I thought I found why my car was smoking so I took everything off and clock the turbo a lil better so the oil could drain better. I put everything back on and it still is smoking. I didn't even drive my car a mile before so I have no clue have the seals could have blown. When I did a comp check I was 250 across the board. I really don't think it's my motor but who knows. Right click these 2 10 sec cllips no sounds sorry.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D
Old 05-29-2004, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals (FOrSfEd)

seals, I popped 2 Turbonetics t3/t4 before I figured out my problems, and it sure looked like that...
Old 05-29-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals (mildly interesting)

It['s weird cause I had no oil in the dp on intercooler piping, and it doesn't smoke all the time.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals (FOrSfEd)

you said stock b18c5? how long have you been boosting? was it a brand new turbo when you bought it? I went to the same thing with my old turbo setup, first i thought it was the valve seal, then i thought it was piston rings/ring lands, then i did the compression it was 195, 195,195,195. It was my turbo seals, there never was oil in the down pipe, the drops of oil just burns when it hits there. However i did see some oil in the charge pipes. after 2 weeks i messed up the valves seals then more smoke. thats why i went NA again.

Turbo too much high mentainance
Old 05-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals (stockegsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Turbo too much high mantainance </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea its a lotta maintainance & money but its fun..
Old 05-29-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals (Boostfedb18c1)

ttt
Old 05-29-2004, 01:12 PM

If you said the turbo was brand new????????I would check the headgasket.

On of my friends who drives an ls turbo'd hatch ahd a very similiar problem. We couldnt figure it out. we replaced everything we could think of, compression came back perfect. And what it ended up being was a small fracture or leak in the headgasket. But I didnt understand what the compression was still okay. He read 160 psi all the way across the board.

We finally pulled the manifold and there was oil in the manifold #3 runner and in the head.

Good Luck

Jon
Old 05-29-2004, 02:10 PM

That doesn't look too bad to me, if that was mine I'd have no problem with that. A friend ruined his seals once and he said it was like a smoke screen on james bond.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:10 PM

If your compression checks out even on the cyls, take a peek at oil pressure. In either case, if the oil seal is bad in that turbo, it's certainly not that bad. If it is the oil seal it usually gets tremendously worse as you get into boost and oil pressure skyrockets. Depending on which seal went (compressor side or turbine side) will depend on which end of the system you see traces of oil in. Intake side will (obviously) be reflected in the compressor, charge pipes, intercooler, some in the BOV outlet. intake manifold, internals, etc. Exhaust side would be turbine housing, DP, exhaust system etc etc. In either case, it'd be horribly bad when you hit boost.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:31 PM

It's funny cause it doesn't smoke all the time even in boost. Oil pressure really does go high.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Mine does the same ****. But even lighter smoke than that. I checked everything and no problems. I also have an extremely small oil leak around the bolts where you clock the turbo. I'm currently just ignoring it until it gets any worse. So far 10000 miles with the same small problem, and not getting any worse. It only does that too when cold start and idle for a long period. None while driving or boosting.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (stinker504)

That kinda makes me feel better. I just took it for another spin no smoke or if there was smoke I could not see it at all
Old 05-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FOrSfEd)

any smoke out the valve cover?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:45 PM

Default Re: (vtec.dc2)

nope none out of the valve cover
Old 05-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FOrSfEd)

dont worry about that. it was prolly a little cold out or smoething. nothing to worry about.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:08 AM

Ok first off, the "don’t worry about it" is coming from totally inexperienced people. YES worry about it. WHY? Well let me ask you this, what size the oil pressure line going to your turbo itself? If you’re running a -4 line and no restructure then you re blowing out the oil seals on that turbo. How? The turbo seals are not designed to handle more than like 40-50psi of oil. A Honda motor can reach pressures of up to 70-80 sometimes 90 PSI. FAR greater than what the turbo is rated. A -3 line helps to reduce the pressure on the turbo. This is 1 theory.

Next, do this, pull your dipstick out and look at the oil, is it milky color? Does it look like it has a bunch of bubbles in it? Also do the same to your radiator cap. Take if off and look in the radiator. Doe sit look like there are brown dots floating in the water? If yes to either, then you have a blown head gasket.

Next, do you go through a lot of oil? Do you always have to put more in? If no to others, and yes to this, then you have a bad oil ring someplace and your getting blow by. Why would you not see it under higher boosting? Well the pressure is greater and thus can push the fumes out faster thus making it appear that your not having the issue under hard acceleration, also, your driving, how are you going to tell or see it if the wind is helping hide the fumes? With the turbo pressure and the wind, you won’t see it under heavy acceleration. A leak down test will not show a bad oil ring either.

I hope this help you.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals (oscarmayer)

Thanks alot man. I'll check everything today. I'm running a -3 line so hopefully thats not my problem. I'll let post once I checkeveryting out.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem. I talked with my turbo guy today and he told me to make sure the turbo is with in 15 degrees up and down for good gravity drain. I was already pretty much there. Then make sure that your drain has no slump on the way to the pan which can back up the drain line quickly. He is sure my problem has to be drain-back problem. I have little spurts of oil on my block that have squirted out in-between of the hot housing and the middle where they meet together. &lt;&lt;&lt;back up problems. I have a Moroso Oil pan and have read in a couple of forums that this was their issue of smoking because the drain was not high enough for the oil to drain freely. According to some people told me i might have ruined my turbo seal but my expert says the seal is a piston type seal and if its bad it will constantly smoke his quote&lt;its either good or its not&gt;. Let me know if you get it fixed.. Also send some pics if you can of your drain back....I am trying to see if I can match it up to mine. ...Do you have a Moroso oil pan?

Old 06-02-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Check these two 10 sec clips of my car smoking.. Maybe blown turbo seals (Redwidow)

Thanks for the post, my car actually stop smoking all together. I just kept driving and it got less and less until it just stopped. I think I had my turbo clocked to much the last time and caused some oil to go back into the turbo. I'm running a factory oil pan. I'll try and get some pics posted tonight of the return line.