Notices

Check out my painted intercooler and pipes... let me know what you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out my painted intercooler and pipes... let me know what you guys think?

Just painted these and thought i'd post them and see what you guys think.

Reg

Old 04-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i plan on putting a mesh grill in front of the intercooler in hopes of making it look as stealth as possible... also should i relocated my front license plate to the side so the intercooler can get maximum air flow... and also is anyone running an oil cooler with their turbo setup?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (brixity)

looks nice... just keep your OEM grill on the bumper
Old 04-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check out my painted intercooler and pipes... let me know what you guys think? (brixity)

good job
Old 04-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wht type primer paint/did you use? It's matte so it will have a "tooth" and that should help you from blowing off hose couplers. I like stealth. "You shor do got a big radiator thar boy!"
Old 04-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Laserjock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Laserjock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> "You shor do got a big radiator thar boy!"</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats all it really is.....tube and fin gahbage!
Old 04-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks nice... just keep your OEM grill on the bumper</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would but it was already cut out...
Thnaks MrGSR and I used high-temp engine enamel (flat black) by plastikote. I sprayed it on very very lightly one coat at a time to make sure i didn't get any runs into the fins.

Reggie
Old 04-10-2005, 03:26 PM

is that one of those jrc 8" intercoolers? looks nice
Old 04-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RudeLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that one of those jrc 8" intercoolers? looks nice</TD></TR></TABLE>

acutally its a JRC 6" he just lowered the price to 179 i paid 195 for it so jump on his intercoolers they are good quality and he ships fast and good packing.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice radiator..
Old 04-10-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: (2point2)

Painting the pipes black just makes them a magnet for heat, you should have used another color.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b16sedan)

i don't get why you painted some mandrel bends black? They will look like **** once you cut and weld them, plus its more work now since you'll have to clean off the paint. Save some headache and wipe them ***** down with a rag and some paint thinner before fitting them.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Painting the pipes black just makes them a magnet for heat, you should have used another color.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what the intercooler is for? you ever feel the air that comes out of the bov? its pretty cool in my opinion. and i used black cause it looks good. i'm not looking to build the next 10 second coupe just more power.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't get why you painted some mandrel bends black? They will look like **** once you cut and weld them, plus its more work now since you'll have to clean off the paint. Save some headache and wipe them ***** down with a rag and some paint thinner before fitting them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

does it make a difference whether i painted mandrel bends or crush bent pipes? i don't know how you do your work but i'm pretty clean with my installs i'm not gonna throw my bends on concrete and start hacking them to chip up the paint on them if thats what you're thinking... how bout i post pics after i do the install without respraying them and you can take your comment back. I won't be using any paint thinner to take any paint off and as for welding, i won't be welding my pipes together i'll be using couplers and clamps.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:32 PM

In a few hours of driving the black piping on that paint would increase IAT's by several degrees, I'd wager no less than 10. Heat will just stay in there and it will add up. It's like the AIR CF manifold test vs. VictorX. The air is only in the plenum for a split second, but because the AIR manifold stayed so much cooler it kept IAT's 20-30 degrees lower than the thicker, warmer victorX. It's not going to be horrible, it's just I would have picked a different color.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brixity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

does it make a difference whether i painted mandrel bends or crush bent pipes? i don't know how you do your work but i'm pretty clean with my installs i'm not gonna throw my bends on concrete and start hacking them to chip up the paint on them if thats what you're thinking... how bout i post pics after i do the install without respraying them and you can take your comment back. I won't be using any paint thinner to take any paint off and as for welding, i won't be welding my pipes together i'll be using couplers and clamps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no, it doesnt matter what type of bends. I was just calling them what they are, mandrel bends.

I don't really care how you do yours, I was just giving some good advice since I build and paint (in that order) charge pipes all the time. Anyone who fabricates anything will tell you that paint goes on after you build and fit the part. Sorry, I won't retract my comment because I know I'm right
Old 04-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, it doesnt matter what type of bends. I was just calling them what they are, mandrel bends.

I don't really care how you do yours, I was just giving some good advice since I build and paint (in that order) charge pipes all the time. Anyone who fabricates anything will tell you that paint goes on after you build and fit the part. Sorry, I won't retract my comment because I know I'm right </TD></TR></TABLE>

You have a point but i mean i don't plan on destroying the pipes... i just didn't want to waste time... i haven't gotten my manifold yet so i just sprayed them before i see what you're saying... Thanks for all the advice guys as for the black paint like i said i wanted it in black and thats that. a few degrees doesn't matter to me cause the intercooler will cool it anyway.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In a few hours of driving the black piping on that paint would increase IAT's by several degrees, I'd wager no less than 10. Heat will just stay in there and it will add up. It's like the AIR CF manifold test vs. VictorX. The air is only in the plenum for a split second, but because the AIR manifold stayed so much cooler it kept IAT's 20-30 degrees lower than the thicker, warmer victorX. It's not going to be horrible, it's just I would have picked a different color.</TD></TR></TABLE>

air = cf
victorx = metal/alum.

so you can't really compare this setup with the other (air/victorx)

besides.. you're discussing about color... the air is black while the victor x is silver... and you were saying his BLACK piping would retain more heat?

Modified by SHystrdyGSRtdy at 6:15 PM 4/10/2005
Old 04-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fair enough... good point
Old 04-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oops...
Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Location: We Cant Stop Here This Is Bat Country, So CaL, USDM

It doesn't matter what color you paint the pipes. Black absorbs more light than lighter colors but doesn't retain heat any differently. It would be best to leave the pipes as bare metal. I would never paint my IC but if I had to I would only do a super light coat on the front side only. Too many people wanna start **** instead of actually discussing what is more efficient. The comparison of the two manifolds doesn't make sense because they are made of two different materials. Plastic IC piping would be best, Like the stuff the og Iceman intakes were made of. I hate HT.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: (2000psi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesn't matter what color you paint the pipes. Black absorbs more light than lighter colors but doesn't retain heat any differently. It would be best to leave the pipes as bare metal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what i was gonna say

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate HT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what i was gonna say (just for stupid drama like this)
Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks cool. I don't see why black would retain heat any more than any other color. The only reason black absorbs heat is in sunlight and I don't think that really applies in this case. for stealth intercooler
Old 04-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ChaseIntegra)

My intercooler is black also. It's nice knowing the guy next to you in traffic has no clue.... to the evil lurking under your hood MUAhahahahaha!

Quick Reply: Check out my painted intercooler and pipes... let me know what you guys think?