Notices

Check my research? D16Z6 Daily turbo build

Old 06-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check my research? D16Z6 Daily turbo build

I'll try to make this as short and sweet as I can.

A year ago I acquired a 1995 Honda Del Sol Si with 243k miles on the clock in 7/10 cosmetic condition. Over the past year I've familiarized myself with the car by installing coilovers, changing fluids, cleaning the throttle body, timing belt, several cosmetic upgrades etc. I was struggling to decide whether I wanted to swap or turbo all the year long, and the cons of the swap outweighed the pros for me personally. I've decided to turbo my Del Slo with a power goal of 220-250HP. Many of the write-ups online have far greater power goals, and I'd like to avoid overbuilding (budget conscious) Here are my intended means of getting to that point:
  • T3 turbo running 10PSI
  • Tial 44mm Wastegate (purchased)
  • No name "JDM Sport" craigslist turbo manifold (purchased)
  • HKS BOV (purchased)
  • DSM 450CC Injectors (purchase pending)
  • Walboro 255 Fuel Pump
  • Hondata S100 (is this appropriate?)
  • eBay Manual Boost Controller
  • eBay Turbo Timer
  • eBay Intercooler
  • eBay Boost Gauge
  • eBay 3 Bar MAP
  • eBay Oil Lines using stock oil pan (yes I will be removing it to drill hole and fit line)
  • Vitara 75mm Pistons
  • Eagle Rods
  • ARP Head Studs
  • Cometic Head Gasket
  • eBay Downpipe (what are my other options here?)
  • JDM D15B Cam (once I fit internals)
Some stuff I might need but don't know if it's necessary:
  • Upgraded O2 sensor (which is appropriate?)
  • Vacuum Manifold
  • Intake Manifold
  • Port and Polish
  • Spark Plug upgrade
  • Throttle Body upgrade
Does anything here look out of place? As far as I've seen, the parts I plan on getting should be more than reliable at my power goal, which is my intention. Many people have ran stock internals, stock head gaskets, stock head studs, and used bottom rung eBay kits. I want to know what my weak spots are here. If there's anything I should add, let me know. I've done a good amount of research, and I think this should be enough, but if not, I'd appreciate guidance.

Thank you all for your time.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Check my research? D16Z6 Daily turbo build

I'm pretty sure about 100 posts ago I told you your mechanical timing was off. The car running has **** all to do with checking it. There's a group of three marks on the crank pulley, and one all by itself. Guess which one is the tdc mark? You didn't post timing marks at the head with the crank set to tdc, I'm sure they're off too. Your distributor is probably fucked up from leaving it connected during compression testing and letting unplugged wires fire. Like I've been saying: mechanical timing and distributor.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
I'm pretty sure about 100 posts ago I told you your mechanical timing was off. The car running has **** all to do with checking it. There's a group of three marks on the crank pulley, and one all by itself. Guess which one is the tdc mark? You didn't post timing marks at the head with the crank set to tdc, I'm sure they're off too. Your distributor is probably fucked up from leaving it connected during compression testing and letting unplugged wires fire. Like I've been saying: mechanical timing and distributor.
Ok. Different thread that's dead but that's fine. Looks like mechanical timing is fine. I lined up the "gun sights" with the two marks the the right of the three ignition timing marks, and cam gear sits at TDC. It's not "one all by itself", though, which confuses me because everyone else is saying it's a single mark as well.

How would I have messed up my distributor? The coil reads good resistance. Haven't check the ignitor or the ICM, but I have no reason to believe that they went bad since the car was running. I'm sorry that I seem to have frustrated you so deeply.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you cant even buy s100 any more, as of like 2010.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbociv910
you cant even buy s100 any more, as of like 2010.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51345811

Here is the current thread, this one shouldn't be bumped anymore. I actually did get an S100 chipped ECU and it's in the car now. Currently dealing with a no start. Ignition and mechanical timing is good, fuel is good, compression is good, and there is no spark. I am going to be testing the spark at the distributor tonight once my father gets home to see if I need a new distributor cap or if the ignitor/ICM is bad.