Notices

changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo?

i have a turbonetics t3t04e ball bearing turbo, it has around 3000miles on it. i have a fresh b16a shortblock i just put new pistons/rings/bearings in.

my car was smoking on decel and between shifts so i thought i was my valve guide seals, i changed them and did a 3 angle vavle job, the car feels much stronger now but it STILL SMOKES!! and still only on decel and between shifts. turbo runs at 15psi.

could it be the oil backing up in the turbo?

im very frustrated and appreciate any advice here.

Modified by blinx9900 at 6:26 PM 12/14/2007
Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (blinx9900)

take the cat back off and see if it still smokes.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (taltares)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by taltares &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the cat back off and see if it still smokes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried it today, it still smokes
Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (blinx9900)

leakdown? im just guessing here
Old 12-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (b16a4)

Do you have an oil pressure restrictor? That should help.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (b16a4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16a4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">leakdown? im just guessing here</TD></TR></TABLE>

done it. results are A-1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Robert Padron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have an oil pressure restrictor? That should help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya know turbonetics always told me NOT to use one, but it was smoking so damn much i did put one in, the smoke was reduced for a shortwhile and then it returned, the restrictor is still in there.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pull off the downpipe from the back of the turbo wipe your finger on the inside, if it's wet with oil you may have bad seals. if it is oily pull off the manifold to see if there's oil residue before the turbo. if it is only after the turbo it will need a rebuild. i also have a turbonetics t3to4e ball bearing turbo from a d series with pretty much same issue, seals are bad. make sure your return line is not kinked. is it possible for u to take a picture of the position of the turbo on the car from underneath, check for proper height from turbo drain outlet compared to oil pan drain in.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:11 PM
i ♥ snails

is the return line above the oil in the sump?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

Ok, still burning oil?

If the restrictor made it lighten up for a little bit; there is a good chance the seals may have been damaged in the turbo; once they leak; they are fizznucked... Very fragile compared to a journal turbo. Thats where my money is; it makes sense;
Old 12-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

my buddy had the same exact problem with his DSM with a 50 trim, smoke on decel and between shifting. he had a 4 AN line and put in a restrictor, i think around .065 and it stopped smoking completely.

my car did the same thing but smoked on WOT too with a ball bearing 50 trim, put in an .065 restrictor and what do you know, it fixed it.

how big is your current restrictor?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (boosstboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosstboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull off the downpipe from the back of the turbo wipe your finger on the inside, if it's wet with oil you may have bad seals. if it is oily pull off the manifold to see if there's oil residue before the turbo. if it is only after the turbo it will need a rebuild. i also have a turbonetics t3to4e ball bearing turbo from a d series with pretty much same issue, seals are bad. make sure your return line is not kinked. is it possible for u to take a picture of the position of the turbo on the car from underneath, check for proper height from turbo drain outlet compared to oil pan drain in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll try and get a pic tomorrow ive taken off the downpipe a fewtimes to look at it (gotta love vband) and the weird thing is its dry, and so is the turbine, section, i guess if its a small leak it could dry up?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the return line above the oil in the sump?</TD></TR></TABLE>
its as high as it can be, ill get a pic of that too

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, still burning oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i am, thank you for posting on my threads, that goes for everybody too
Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 PM
i ♥ snails

hmm the mystery remains, what kinda "catch can" setup you running
Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm the mystery remains, what kinda "catch can" setup you running</TD></TR></TABLE>

1 greddy (new style) modified with a filter on top. 2 plugs on the back of the block removed and replaced with the prelude nipples, both hoses run to the catch can, black box removed and covered with a freeze plug. nothing on the valve cover.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you blew your seals. Putting a restricter on it afterwards...how does that help fix the blown seal?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you blew your seals. Putting a restricter on it afterwards...how does that help fix the blown seal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my buddy had the same exact problem with his DSM with a 50 trim, smoke on decel and between shifting. he had a 4 AN line and put in a restrictor, i think around .065 and it stopped smoking completely.

my car did the same thing but smoked on WOT too with a ball bearing 50 trim, put in an .065 restrictor and what do you know, it fixed it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But still a seal that can't seal isn't going to keep oil from seeping past it regardless.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But still a seal that can't seal isn't going to keep oil from seeping past it regardless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

perhaps the seal isent bad, perhaps its just seeing more pressure than its supposed to, so oil is leaking past it, then you put a restrictor and it takes pressure off the seal so its not leaking anymorel. im not being a dick but seriously this isent even the topic of the thread, if you want to discuss this more feel free to pm me, i have no problem explaining my opinion further.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ya know turbonetics always told me NOT to use one, but it was smoking so damn much i did put one in, the smoke was reduced for a shortwhile and then it returned, the restrictor is still in there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

perhaps the seal isent bad, perhaps its just seeing more pressure than its supposed to, so oil is leaking past it, then you put a restrictor and it takes pressure off the seal so its not leaking anymorel. im not being a dick but seriously this isent even the topic of the thread, if you want to discuss this more feel free to pm me, i have no problem explaining my opinion further. </TD></TR></TABLE>

IF YOU put one in there and it still smokes, but not as much = Seal is junk.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (MidShipCivic)

BUMP, pics added to first post, sorry i didnt get a pic of the inside of the DP, i just could not get the camera in there but i did take it off and it was dry to the touch and the turbine blades/housing was dry as well.

on the fourth pic i see some residue on the turbine housing, is that burnt oil? everything thats black is ceramic coated.

came across a friend with a nib 3076R, he's hard up for cash and wants 7bills, i might have to do it!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i just got a smokin deal on a gt3076r $700 NIB!!! so we'll see if that fixes it
Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 PM

good luck
Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM

before you put it on run a header and see if the engine smokes with no turbo
Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo? (icivicracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by icivicracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before you put it on run a header and see if the engine smokes with no turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

well its not tuned for NA and the turbo puts a lot more stress on the motor than na so it might not smoke even if it is the motor. if i had more time i would do it, im just gonna shoot myself if it smokes after i put the new turbo on
Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, still burning oil?

If the restrictor made it lighten up for a little bit; there is a good chance the seals may have been damaged in the turbo; once they leak; they are fizznucked... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup the seal is gone...I think honda turbo set ups all need a restrictor.. I ruined my turbos a couple of times by not using a restrictor. CoreyR said the majic # .065 and your golden. Oh and with a turbo rebuild good luck I hate smokey cars..
Old 12-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: (Redwidow)

Quick Reply: changed valveguide seals and rings, my car is still smoking! is it the trubo?