Notices

Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life?

I know the ceramic coating debate has gone around 100 times. And yes, I did a search.

I understand the principle and purposes of using a ceramic coating on the manifold and downpipe. But my concern with using it on the turbo manifold is that it will cause the housing to retain the heat (duh, like it's suppose to). But what effect does this retained heat have on the bearings and turbo itself?

Any links or info is appreciated!

Also, for anyone running a boosted road course car, what are the highest exhaust temps you have seen?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:41 PM

intresting question. I would like to know as well.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Re: (90 integra)

good question for sure. This is just conjecture, but I think that although you would be retaining more heat, you would be gaining in performance, kind of like wrapping headers in thermotec. Greater delta P across the turbine. But as you said, the trade off may be increased oil temps and lower bearing life.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life? (mrlegoman)

I dont think that it would cause any damage because it doesnt increase the temp iy helps retain it and the bearings in the turbo are made to handle high heat already.I think what it would affect would be when it comes time for the turbo to cool down before shutting down the car but I am in no way an expert so if I am wrong someone please correct me ?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life? (siblues)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblues &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think what it would affect would be when it comes time for the turbo to cool down before shutting down the car but I am in no way an expert so if I am wrong someone please correct me ?</TD></TR></TABLE>That's a good point too. Because of the retained heat, you would expect that your cool down is considerable more. Don't some of the Porsche's have an oil reservoir that drains through the turbo when the car is shut off?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life? (mrlegoman)

If your worried about oil temps get an oil cooler
Old 01-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life? (B6tPoweredMx3)

I think the oil temps would be ok.It would be like when you go on long trips wouldnt that be a problem then too?It also depends on what you are going to do with the car like autox or track cars would suffer from much higher oil temps than a dd or a car that sees some 1/4 mile time ?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life? (B6tPoweredMx3)

Just make sure that if/when you get an oil cooler you get one with a thermostat. I'm no expert on the matter, but some friends that are have said that they've seen many a blown motor because of an oil cooler that doesn't allow the oil to get to the right working temp.

I think Canton racing makes a good unit with a thermostat
Old 01-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B6tPoweredMx3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your worried about oil temps get an oil cooler </TD></TR></TABLE>I'm not worried about oil temps. I can see how an oil cooler would help reduce oil temps which would help reduce the turbo housing temps. But would the excess heat caused by the coating redirecting the heat back into the turbo cause a considerable degradation in bearing life?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ceramic Coating the turbo housing - reduction in bearing life? (Synapse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Synapse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just make sure that if/when you get an oil cooler you get one with a thermostat. I'm no expert on the matter, but some friends that are have said that they've seen many a blown motor because of an oil cooler that doesn't allow the oil to get to the right working temp.

I think Canton racing makes a good unit with a thermostat</TD></TR></TABLE> Good info!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the turbo water cooled as well?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B6tPoweredMx3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the turbo water cooled as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes!
Old 01-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coat it, again i have no knowledge of this but thats what i would do.
If it was only oil cooled id be worried, but do it and let us know?