Notices

cdsk8tr1's 650whp Project CRX Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: cdsk8tr1's 650whp Project CRX Build thread

if wanting to run the pro 2 cams id just leave it n/a as the car is so light and get seat time and forget the forced-induction. or listen to the info ditch the cams. also if you want a borg go down to like a s256-258sxe sti guys love em. much smaller size wise still great power. if you want all this power and have loads of money burning a whole in your pocket just build a awd car already and not worry about putting power down. just my 2 cents. if you like I got 2200 bosch's for sale and a s366 id sell you with a t4 ram horn. but in all honesty the shodan is who id listen to on charger pick everyone can back up he knows how to pick em if you realy know what you want from it.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostHatchFreak
if wanting to run the pro 2 cams id just leave it n/a as the car is so light and get seat time and forget the forced-induction. or listen to the info ditch the cams. also if you want a borg go down to like a s256-258sxe sti guys love em. much smaller size wise still great power. if you want all this power and have loads of money burning a whole in your pocket just build a awd car already and not worry about putting power down. just my 2 cents. if you like I got 2200 bosch's for sale and a s366 id sell you with a t4 ram horn. but in all honesty the shodan is who id listen to on charger pick everyone can back up he knows how to pick em if you realy know what you want from it.
‘He knows his stuff when it comes to turbo sizing. I do know if you get something to big your not going to be happy with the response. Road racing needs fast response way more than peak power.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i'm going to buy as a kit with the divided inlet manifold. I know there are a lot of good turbos, that bw looks like the most rugged and advanced. Would you run the internal waste gate version or external?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The skunk 2 pro 2 cams are already in the motor so i'm going to run them. Why are they bad for a turbo setup? I would think that increased lift and duration would help get more air in and out faster. What about intake, throttle body volume? I plan on buying skunk 2 ultra race manifold, 90 mm throttle body. From my research building a turbo system is all about volumetric efficiency, the only bottle neck I can see so far is the small displacement of 1.8 liters.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cdsk8r1
The skunk 2 pro 2 cams are already in the motor so i'm going to run them. Why are they bad for a turbo setup? I would think that increased lift and duration would help get more air in and out faster. What about intake, throttle body volume? I plan on buying skunk 2 ultra race manifold, 90 mm throttle body. From my research building a turbo system is all about volumetric efficiency, the only bottle neck I can see so far is the small displacement of 1.8 liters.
Turbo cams like slightly more lift and longer duration. Those Pro2s have too much lift and overlap for a turbocharger to a point where you could easily have both valves open long enough to mix confused air in the chamber. Just Berkshire some gives a lot more of something doesn't mean it's better for your vehicle.

Volumetric efficiency is used in several aspects of the turbo build, not just ingesting of airflow.

You can try and rationalize all you need to keep the candidates. That doesn't change our knowledge in saying that's the wrong camshaft, and you're actually better off going with a stock GS-R than what you propose.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by cdsk8r1
Bro you are all over the place honestly, everything you are reading up on and trying to accomplish looks to be more drag racing related. You original target power can be done with stock ITR cams, stock ITR throttle body and a Victor X manifold. Displacement is also not an issue when these 1.8 liter motors are pushing 1800 horsepower, unless you're target power is over 2000 horsepower than yeah a 1.8 liter isn't the best option at that point.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Skunk2 pro2 Cams make power from 6500-9500 the strongest which is not good for a street car normally. Turning those rpms with those cams would require a larger turbo which counter reacts to needing a responsive setup. Turner1 cams / iTR cams or stock would be best IMO
Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the scientific answer I was looking for. Thanks everyone for the guidance. Kinda sucks I bought the wrong cams for 500 bucks, I guess I had the project so long my goals changed. There are other things I need to do to the car before turbo anyway. I need to pick a clutch, get the knuckles powder coated, change front wheel bearings, pick a set of axles, get and install the traction bar, finish the hydro clutch conversion and the list goes on.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: cdsk8tr1's 650whp Project CRX Build thread

I just realized how long I have had this project. 89 hf, bought it for 1200 in 2014. Pulled the motor, got the body work and paint done for next to nothing by working and learning at a friend's body shop. Did most of the work myself. The car sat for a few years and was moved to my rental garage. I had the motor and trans rebuilt last year. I want to make this one nice, willing to take my time and get great parts at the expense of being a slow build. The chassis harness, fenders, doors, hatch, bumpers, front knuckles and steering rack are from my old 88 si. I did the rear disc swap. sitting on skunk 2 adjustable coilovers and upper control arms. used moog front lower control arms and ball joints. I think my next step is to get a clutch, put the motor/tranny together, get front knuckles powdercoated, new bearings, beefy axles, mount drivetrain, finish hydro clutch swap. Then i need to finally pick my direction, kinda thinking now just to keep n/a to get it running, work out the bugs, figure out my front brake setup and get a roll cage installed. It will definately be turbo. I have another crx in the garage, haven't decided what to do with it, maybe k series awd? Maybe just a nice n/a daily driver or maybe I could have one drag car and one road race car.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I say one higher horsepower turbo car and one that's just a fun daily with a mild na setup. I wanted to go that route with my two Crx's but the all motor car ended up into a full out drag car that I realized I'd never drive so I parted it out and built a d series Honda Insight lol. Always loved satin black on Crx's. Keep it up.