cb7 turbo f22b1 lots of crankcase pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 cb7 turbo f22b1 lots of crankcase pressure

Hey guys I need a few opinions,

I have a 91 accord with a f22b1 vtec swap
car ran great untill the other day it started out with a slight misfire sounded like a wrx with that half-ish misfire they have

The car still had its power and ran good even when you would get on it
I first thought the problem with the misfire was because there was oil in the sparkplug tubes so i changed out the gaskets it then blew those within 10 min of driving when i take the oil cap off the car has tons of crankcase pressure and a white smoke is coming out of the valve cover i rebuilt the motor myself its all stock with npr rings king bearings

The spark plugs are ngk plat they look normal nothing is on them just a bit of burnt carbon like every spark plug has the motor ran fine for 5 months with alot of power i was only running 5 psi of boost on a 50trim

I pulled the head and everything looks ok the pistons are all the same the timing is dead on there is some oil in the turbo charge pipe a very thin amount glazed around the pipes.
there is no oil in the exhaust manifold its dry I am thinking a ring has went bad or something o and the head gasket looks fine too no cracks or breaks or any type of marks to where it could of leaked somewhere
what do you guys think?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: cb7 turbo f22b1 lots of crankcase pressure

Normally if a motor starts sounding like a wrx then you broke a ring land, high crankcase pressure would also support this, as well as having ring seal issues. This would cause loads of blow by and allow highly compressed gasses to get pushed past the piston into the crankcase, severely elevating crankcase pressures.

Do you have a catch can setup? Its basically a requirement for turbo motors to control crankcase pressure... I've seen setups without catch cans blow dipsticks out and even cause oil to be forced up the turbo oil return line.

Since it appears you have the head off the motor, turn it over and see if there's any type of cylinder damage/wear. If its damaged then a ring land broke, If there's signs of wear then you have a ring dealing problem.

I would advise you to put the head back on (its OK to use the old gasket for this) torque everything correctly and do a compression and leak down test, this will tell you exactly what's wrong.

If compression is just slightly lower than normal its rings
If compression is very low then you either broke a ring land, a ring, or you have a serious ring issue, or cylinder wall issues.

A leak down test will also show you where it could be leaking, it will show you the percentage of air that's escaping the cylinder and help pinpoint where
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm no i dont run a catch can i just have the spot for it open on the valve cover venting to atmosphere it has worked fine for awhile i think one of the rings broke but the pistons are clean and the cyl walls are perfect guess i cought it early

any idea what would be some good rings i was running npr and they didn't hold up i have about 5-10k on the motor
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could have lifted the head and water is getting into the combustion chamber causing the mis fire when starting its hard to combust water
Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like it never had enough crankcase ventilation and you also prob cracked a ringland as previously stated. WHen cold it will sound like misfire but once warm will run ok. Time to tear it down
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks got your help guys im gonna redo the rings and go from there

does anyone know of anyone that makes a good set of rings for a stock motor those npr's should of held 5 psi all day long.

I was looking at weisco but they only work with their piston.

should i just go with hondas?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is it tuned with?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you pull the piston/rods you will probably find a damaged piston, not ring. The piston itself will only be held together by the ring. The pistons will probably look like this http://www.google.com/imgres?q=broke...13&tx=78&ty=69
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was tuned with crome, and i doubt it

anyways like a said does anyone know who makes a good set of rings