Notices

Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas?

Ok so I went to drain my oil catch can for the first time today and the oil came out really thin and a light brown color. the consistency was like water. Also I could smell gasoline in it. What could this mean? Give it to me straight doc.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas? (monicle)

id take a guess and say ya got gas in yer oil there buddy ... as to how id say a leak somewhere
Old 02-28-2004, 11:26 AM

Absolutely normal.

Think about what the catch can is there for. In NA motors, the PCV system is designed to remove fuel vapors from the crankcase.

So it is in FI applications, but in such an application there is the added problem of lacking full-time vacuum, so the crankcase goes through compression/vacuum cycles. This creates the problem of sucking oil out through the PCV system, which ends up in the intake, then the cylinders, and can cause detonation.

So having fuel in the catch can is normal. This was what the PCV is for.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas? (beepy)

i would say its normal, my catch can always has a heavy amt of water mixed with oil, kind of looks like chocolate milk. I'm just glad it isn't working its way back into the intake.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas? (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So it is in FI applications, but in such an application there is the added problem of lacking full-time vacuum, so the crankcase goes through compression/vacuum cycles. This creates the problem of sucking oil out through the PCV system, which ends up in the intake, then the cylinders, and can cause detonation.

So having fuel in the catch can is normal. This was what the PCV is for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How often do you get enough fuel vaporized in your crankcase to condense and fill a catch can? &lt;just curious&gt;

Modified by hpfsi at 11:08 PM 2/28/2004
Old 02-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas? (hpfsi)

there are many variables, but i wouldn't doubt over time that a pretty large amount of fuel and oil combination could accumulate in the catch can.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas? (lazerus)

K it sounds like its completely normal. It just supprised me. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to thread jack , but do you ever see the vapors from your catch can ?
I was out working on it in the dark and had a flashlight on it and saw light vapor coming from the catch can filter
Old 03-01-2004, 04:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so I went to drain my oil catch can for the first time today and the oil came out really thin and a light brown color. the consistency was like water. Also I could smell gasoline in it. What could this mean? Give it to me straight doc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what it should look like - it's water vapor mixed in with the oil vapor. If you didn't have the catch can that crap would be going back into your engine.

- Slater
Old 03-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait, so we're saying gas in the catch can IS normal? mine looks like milk+coffee... or chocolate milk... no need to worry? I can actually see the vapor comming out of the PCV valve and dipstick tube... THATS not normal right?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch can oil= really thin + smells like gas? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to thread jack , but do you ever see the vapors from your catch can ?
I was out working on it in the dark and had a flashlight on it and saw light vapor coming from the catch can filter</TD></TR></TABLE>

Under heavy load, yes. At idle, not really.... but you used a flashlight so I would say it is normal. If you see white smoke coming from the breather cover on the valve cover then it usually indicates your piston rings are going to hell.