Notices

Cat is smoking....opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat is smoking....opinions please...

Well... I dont have a Honda anymore but I'm still on this forum every single day because it's been my second home for a pretty long time now....Recently, very little of you people know but I sold my Yellow EK and got an 89 240. I took it to get it swapped out for an S13 BlackTop SR20DET. Its running fine and boosting excelent. Holds boost all the way up top and never drops. Anyways, this is my first Turbo RWD car and i'm in love with it. I guess to explain my problem I should let you know what mods are on the car so itll give you an idea of what I should be expecting..here goes..

just engine wise..

HKS Filter, S13 GReddy 2 row FMIC, GReddy Type-S BOV, GReddy 3" DP, ACT 6puck clutch but with a stock exhaust system.

Now the car runs great...Dont get me wrong..The guy who previously owned the car put some red substance like silicone (SP?) on the cat instead of using a stupid Gasket. When I drive, the cat seems to be smoking tremendously and I can smell it burning really bad. Now the smoke is just smoke just like any other car..I would say its a little white but you cant really see it....but thats the best way I can describe it right now....When I'm boosting, and after I come to a stop, smoke comes up from the cat and there is a "GREEN-LIKE" oil or fluent that drips from the cat onto the ground. Its not the coolant because I use Prestone (The Orange One) and the engine bay seems to be fine..no leaks or anything, but the problem is the cat...it smokes heavily after I drive it and drips that green stuff....
Anyhow, before I bought the car, it was sitting in a driveway with no motor for about a month.
What can be causing this problem?? Do I need a new cat? Also, if I get get a test pipe, will the car be loud with stock exhaust system? will it still smoke? Please help me..I appreciate it..
-Albert
Old 09-01-2002, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Cat is smoking....opinions please... (SiDESLiDE240)

Can anyone please help?

-ThanKS
Old 09-01-2002, 01:45 PM

anyone?
Old 09-01-2002, 02:58 PM

take away its cigarettes.

sorry, someone had to say it.

unbolt the cat and run it hard of r a minute, it will be loud, but it will help you make sure its a problem from the cat, and not from anywehere else. the prv owner didn't use to run it with tons of dtergents or anything right, no leaded fuels...

[Modified by ronin, 12:00 AM 9/2/2002]
Old 09-01-2002, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Cat is smoking....opinions please... (ronin)

yeah..Last night, I disconected the cat and drove it for a while..it wasnt that loud...but itll get annoying after a while....when the cat is off, no smoke what so ever....theres the smell but obviously itll smell cause of no cat...everything runs perfect without the cat....so I'm guessing now its the cat...what I dont get is why there is a greenish fluid coming from it..its dripping down...
Old 09-01-2002, 05:49 PM

maybe whoever had it put some kind of gunk in it. or maybe fluid got into the exhaust and ran back towards the cat. i say take it out on the interstate for a while and just burn it all out.

theres nothing touching the cat right? no brake lines are coming close or anything? nothing stuck on the bottom of the car, nothing under the carpet that is dripping...

[Modified by ronin, 6:51 PM 9/1/2002]
Old 09-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blown head gasket would be my guess
Old 09-01-2002, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Cat is smoking....opinions please... (MiraiZ)

blown head gasket would be my guess
As I recalled, the car runs great. Its the cat that is bad. I found that out earlier. Thanks for all the help guys...The cat is pretty old and nothing is touching it..It just starts to burn a lot and starts to smoke