Notices

Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question.

I was thinking about getting a Carbon Fiber hood, I was told that since turbo's are so hot, that getting a vented CF hood would be nice for it to get some hot air out outta the engine bay.

Question is, any reccommendations on some vented carbon fiber hoods?

Who makes some good ones?

Another thing I was wondering. I imagine that having a vented CF hood + driving in rain would mean that water is pouring into my engine bay. how bad is it having rain water pour into my vents and onto my very hot turbo manifold? How dangerous would this be?
Old 05-05-2003, 11:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (Snafu-Si)

I was kind of thinking of a carbon fiber hood similarly designed like the Mitsu Evo VII hood.

I notice that hood has vents right above my manifold which would be nice for it to breathe, and it has a little scoop right where my turbo intake pipe would be too.

ANybody have pics of CF with vents?

I wonder if they cost extra just for vented ones.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:36 AM

acctually ray, alot of them dont just let the water pour down onto your motor. i thought the same way till i acctually saw otherwise for myself with my own eyes.

i would assume that it would be helpful, even on a civic. i mean, if its good enough for a RX-7 or a supra, its gotta be good enough for YOU!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (siis2fast)

eh ?? how do you know my name?

Anyway... what do you mean they just don't let them flow water when it rains into your motor? Is there some kind of filter, or something that prevents it? THta's the only thing I'm worried about when buying a vented carbon Fiber hood.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 PM

your profile has your name, raymond.

The hoods I've seen, you can just look down when they're closed and see the turbo, so rain would be able to get on it. Might crack if it's raining hard..
Old 05-07-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (bryan305)

what might crack if rain hard?
I got the point where the "holes" direct the rain to the front of the engine (not on the engine), which means the water is going on the turbo and manifold (this may add some cooling effect on the rainy days, where water pouring on the manifold to cool it donw ).

but will the piping crack with fast change of tempurature?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (chusai)

Heat up a cast iron pan and throw it into cold water (well, don't do it if you actually like the pan)
Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (chusai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chusai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but will the piping crack with fast change of tempurature?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ever heard about how they broke the rosetta stone? They put it into a fire until it was red-hot then dumped cold water on it. Each time, it stresses the material because the outside is contracting much faster than the inside can. The result is localized failure of the material...repeated cycles lead to ultimate failure.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the solution to the manifoled and turbo cracking would be to have a heat shield type cover to prevent water from soaking the parts
Old 05-07-2003, 12:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (igo4bmx)

Then what about cars taht come stock with hood scoops that go into the engine? ARen' those expose to have hot engine parts that could come into contact with rain water possibly cracking? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

I just really wanted something vented for my turbo Engine, but if it is risking cracking my piping, then there is no way in hell I'm goign to do it.

Here's a question.

On the MItsu Evo VII-VIII, the vents on the hood are up front, and if you open the engine bay, the manifold, or.. some kind of piping coming out of the engine is RIGHT under the vents. Are the vents on the Mitsu hood actually closed? Or is it open and water pours in there?

Are there such things as hoods with vents that flow only one way? Probably not, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Better yet, is there a CF hood with vents, that have some kind of manual mechannic switch that I can use to close, or open the vents on the hood. I suppose, if I got creative, I could make something like that.

Some guy told me maybe I could get some magnet sheets made to cover vetns in houses, and slap them on when it rains.

But my response was, and I don't know if I'm right or not is:
1. I think the magnet sheeet might eventually melt from all the hot air from the engine.
2. I don't think Carbon Fiber is magnetic cuase its a form of plastic isn't it?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe the solution to the manifoled and turbo cracking would be to have a heat shield type cover to prevent water from soaking the parts</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no more room under my engine near the manifold, and turbo (which is where I would like the vents to be), the Wastegate kind of sticks up and doesn't alllow for room for something like this.

Keep the ideas rolling though.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:42 PM

I doubt your manifold will crack noticeably, and probably won't make any difference whatsoever. I don't know how the factory cars with hoodscoops manage the water...like the wrx, the water just goes straight through the intercooler...I'll let you know more specifics next semester when I take heat transfer...

Get your hood, do not hose off your car after driving it hard. You should be fine as long as you don't do that. I just wouldn't do it on my car because 1. water 2. people can see the turbo.

the magnet will probably be fine, as long as you get a steel hood...magnets lose their magnetic property when heated, but I don't think they'd get hot enough on the top of your hood. No, cf is not magnetic
Old 05-07-2003, 01:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Maybe I'll just a CF OEM style hood then. Does anybody have some ideas on something I could plug up the vents with if I were going to get a vented CF hood that wouldnl't be f'up by the heat? Something I could put on a take off it's raining or not.?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

On another note, about hood pins and CF hoods, where would I mount pins on a 1999 Civic Si? Anywhere that connected to the frame? Is there a ideal location?
Old 05-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why i dont have one... iim thinkin makin my own... no one makes one like induction style like the wrx for the 4th gen lude... *******
Old 05-07-2003, 04:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question. (BoostedH23a1)

Hmm.. well, I found a Mitsu Evo VII hood at Wings West, but.. it's freaking $800!!!!!!!

I would prefer black mesh. I wonder how it would look painted red, with black mesh vents?

When I can get a hood a BKNW at groupbuy for $350. I mean, Less than half the price. I think I'm leaning toward BKNW. Still not sure about the vented ones though.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Dirty Bird

Im sure you could come up with something to open and close the vent, Like chevy cowl hoods use vaccume, When the car is floored it opens, and other time its closed
Old 05-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Birdman.)

now i would love to see that..
Old 05-07-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: (Birdman.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Birdman. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like chevy cowl hoods use vaccume, When the car is floored it opens, and other time its closed</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only one I saw that did that was on like the 82-83 camaro z28's. It didn't look like a great system anyways.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (BoostedH23a1)

A honda with a cowl hood. WOoo!

yeah, I think Imight just get creative and find something to cover up those vents on teh BKNW hood. This isn't like a right away deal, I'm just doing research so I know what to buy when i buy it, I plan on buying a CF hood around June cause it'll be a birthday present to myself.

That WingsWest carbon hood I think would look pretty cool of I painted it red and left the vents in black mesh, but... the hood alone $800, then you add another $200 or so to paint it, then I'm looking at a $1000 hood. THat's way more than I wanted to spend.

I could buy a BKNW hood, and save 500 bucks for some more tuning on high boost.

Anybody have idea what I could use to cover up vents? Magnets don't work, what would stay on and be somewhat waterproof? and enough pressure to withstand highway driving?

I'm trying to think of some.. maybe I'll carry some duct tape in my car, and some vinyl sheets in my car also and just tape it up closed when it's raining or something.

Pretty Ghetto, but.. oh well?
Old 05-08-2003, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Snafu-Si)

elducto tapo.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:39 AM

Default Re: (Accord94DX)

i believe that the vented hood of the evo7 has a louvered cover and it channels the water away from the manifold. and the manifold itself is covered with a heatsink.

you can actually cover up the vents on the BKNW hood with louvers or some sort of a catch and direct the water to the sides so water will not directly drip onto the hot turbo manifold.

but if you really want to decrease engine bay temps then better make some sort of a heatsink. i made a heatsink from a sheet of aluminum and it looks like the greddy heatsink but mine covers even the sides. engine bay temps dropped considerably compared to no heatsink before.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:57 AM

Default Re: (Snafu-Si)

OEM boosted cars like the WRX and Evos have plastics vents just under hood where the hole is to channel the water down the side so no water will get on any components. If ur planning on gettin the Evo one you can maybe get the oem cover and fabricate something to fit them on.

I wouldn't have thought it would crack just from the drops of rain alone unless u pour buckets of water on it?
Old 05-08-2003, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (swlabhot)

lets see the pictures of some ideas... besides duct tape
Old 05-08-2003, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedH23a1)

i have a 92 lude with the invader vis ...i was scared at first too but one day it rained and i checked it out. The water only dumps on the front top part of the radiator, and it steams like a mother%($#) when your still at a light.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber VENTED hoods and turbo's question.