Notices

Carbon fiber part...come one come all.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber part...come one come all.

We are a startup carbon fiber business that will be making very high quality carbon fiber pieces for the import market and I need to know what you guys are in need of. First some background. The people who are doing the layups are not new to carbon fiber by a long shot. We have been laying up carbon fiber for years on everything from LeMan Prototype cars to 7sec dragsters. We have extensive use with epoxy, polyester, and phenolic resins. We specialize in vacuum bagging but also use compression molding where the application requires it. I would like to know that people are interested in a product being made before the time and money is spent to develop the piece in CAD for optimal strength and weight and then make the mold. The resins, sandwich material, fibers, number of layers, and weaves are selected for each individual application for the strongest lightest combination. We also can do cosmetic carbon fiber if weight is not as much of an issue and cost is more of a concern. One of the pieces that I thought that would impact the turbo community in specific would be a carbon fiber charge pipe for either drag or fmax style setups. What style of charge pipe do people run the most of? Any other suggestions that people are interested in getting made please post them.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Banned

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (Ktech)

leesport, what is the name of the company. my parents live in temple
Old 06-23-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (Burke)

DIRep972- I cant rely to your PM because I am a trial user. But I can answer your question. "could you make a carbon fiber splitter for the front end of a type R integra?" Yes I can, but would like to know that more people are interested in it before the FEA's are run and the molds are made. Are you interested more in it being made to ACTUALLY create downforce? or do you want it to be more of a cosmetic modification? If you are traction limited at high speeds >60 then I can make a very nice carbon splitter that will create downforce but I am afraid that the stock bumper cover wont take the load.

Burke- Name is the company is Ktech.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:27 PM

h22 civic- I can make a 99 civic grill but I would need to know what style etc. you would like. I need to know how many people will want them. Attaching them will be interesting but I am sure we can pull it off.

We can make almost anything. So thats not a problem. What I need to do is know that we can sell more then 1 or 3. Its just not worth the time and initial investment to only be able to sell one or two pieces off of a mold that took 10hours+ to make.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:49 PM

I'd like a 99-00 c/f grill . I'm sure that you could sell plenty of those. Post something about them on clubsi.com
Old 06-23-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (tthame1)

ok, what style are you looking for? The stock looking grill but made out of carbon? Or something different?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id like a low grade (doesnt have to be super thick or strong) sheet of CF that measures 42" x 36" that wont cost me an arm and a leg like every other CF company wants.

Basically, Ive always thought it would be cool to make a replica of the G3 Intega trunk spare tire cover out of CF. Mines busted.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (Muckman)

Would you rather have a full carbon(3-4layers of carbon ~.036"-.048") or would you rather have a carbon top sheet and the rest of it fiberglass. The second option is cheaper but the first option is lighter. A rough estamant on the carbon weight would be 3lbs 4.27oz for 4 layers; 2lbs 7.2oz for 3 layers and 6lbs 10.43oz for a layer of carbon with 4 layers of fiberglass behind that. Obviously the fiberglass will be cheaper then full carbon because the carbon fiber fabric itself cost 5 times more then the fiberglass. Its all up to you. As far as carbon fiber sheets of different sizes. We can do that on a one off basis because it requires less time to make the mold then the curved pieces.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ktech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DIRep972- I cant rely to your PM because I am a trial user. But I can answer your question. "could you make a carbon fiber splitter for the front end of a type R integra?" Yes I can, but would like to know that more people are interested in it before the FEA's are run and the molds are made. Are you interested more in it being made to ACTUALLY create downforce? or do you want it to be more of a cosmetic modification? If you are traction limited at high speeds &gt;60 then I can make a very nice carbon splitter that will create downforce but I am afraid that the stock bumper cover wont take the load.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Could you maybe attach the front splitter to a more solid load bearing point? Like the tow hook attachment holes? I thought downforce was a result of lower pressure under the car and higher pressure over the top surface, rather than the force of the air actually being being imparted onto the front lip?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:03 AM

Basically a stock grill like the Si's come with minus the Honda emblem
Old 06-24-2004, 09:57 AM

I already IM'd this but I am looking for flared fenders for EK civic. Something like this: http://www.housemanautosport.com/images/new.jpg

CF, cosmetic CF, or even fiberglass...whatever works.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where you located at in Leesport? sounds like you arent far from Franks Custom Fiberglass. Id like to see your work though since your local .
Old 06-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im fine with the Fiberglass/CF solution. The weight is minimal. I just want it to look good, be sorta cheap and be able to hold ~50 lbs.

Actually would you be able to cut it out for me too? Im sure someone there has a 94-01 Integra who's spare tire cover you can use for a template. Hopefully that wont drastically add to the price. If it does I can cut it out myself.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (Muckman)

i have one Muckman , and like i said, im local. im like 10 min from him if that.

Throw a little hookup my way and id be willing to help
Old 06-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (itr206)

What about piping for turbo setups?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ktech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DIRep972- I cant rely to your PM because I am a trial user. But I can answer your question. "could you make a carbon fiber splitter for the front end of a type R integra?" Yes I can, but would like to know that more people are interested in it before the FEA's are run and the molds are made. Are you interested more in it being made to ACTUALLY create downforce? or do you want it to be more of a cosmetic modification? If you are traction limited at high speeds &gt;60 then I can make a very nice carbon splitter that will create downforce but I am afraid that the stock bumper cover wont take the load.

Burke- Name is the company is Ktech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, carbon fiber splitter to actually create downforce on a car that is traction limited from 60-150

Burke, email me at DIRep@fast-turbo.com
Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (DIRep972)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes, carbon fiber splitter to actually create downforce on a car that is traction limited from 60-150

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep me posted on that as well.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon fiber part...come one come all. (bomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already IM'd this but I am looking for flared fenders for EK civic. Something like this: http://www.housemanautosport.com/images/new.jpg

CF, cosmetic CF, or even fiberglass...whatever works.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly! I want fenders kinda like that too. Maybe move the actual flare a little higher on the fender to accomodate a taller tire though.