Notices

Carbon Fiber Hood for Coolant Temp Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Fiber Hood for Coolant Temp Control

So I'm basically on the edge with my water temps. First, no there is not a mechanical problem the coolant system i.e. air bubbles, thermostat, etc. Simply put, there is just an crap load of heat put off by the turbo and the radiant heat just heat soaks the radiator.

So what I'm wondering is how much a vented carbon fiber hood might help with reducing the engine bay temperatures? I figure if I can lower those as much as possible then the water temps will come down as well. I run at about 190* on an 80* day...but the heater is on high haha. I was looking at the EVO styled hood because of the placement of the vents (they are more central to where the main heat is coming from). Also, anyone have a picture of this type of hood on their car? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hood for Coolant Temp Control (AF-P Dunc)

My god that might actually work but so would some heat wrap.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hood for Coolant Temp Control (SuperSi)

eh youd get the same affect from doing the hood prop imo
Old 06-10-2006, 12:35 AM

is the ceramic coating not working for you? or is it just the turbo thats putting out the heat? why don't you coat the turbine as well? maybe try some water wetter for your system? cowl your hood? im not sure, hope you get the temps down.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Very Emergency!!

i'm having the same problem with my radiator. i'm thinking about doing the rear hood rise to help escape some of the excess heat. i am also going to heat wrap as much as i can.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hood for Coolant Temp Control (emotionisdead)

I thought that was just a JDM
Old 06-10-2006, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i also considered tha option but after just 2 min i realized how riced my car would look with that kind of hood, on cruising i get from 181-195 and when i get to a stop or granny driving 200-203 tops (heater on cold) i just used to have the heater on hot when i started boosting it in the beggining, i guess i was a ***** afraid of it blowing up
Pm a guy called austrian-typer i believe he did get that kind of hood for his car, check with him how much it improved his temps.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hood for Coolant Temp Control (RedR)

i have an evo style hood, it was free just an fyi, and man heat pours outta the vent , i also have a ramhorn manifold so its right there, i dont know baout coolant temps though, maybe i should cover the vents up and do some datalogging for you
Old 06-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This works good
Old 06-10-2006, 08:29 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My god that might actually work but so would some heat wrap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know if you were being an *** or not, but if so perhaps you should have asked if I've tried something like the already. Because you would then know that I have my manifold/downpipe/dumptube heat coated.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deluzional &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eh youd get the same affect from doing the hood prop imo</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sort of, but I doubt as much heat would be released. Plus I like the clean look, and pushing up the hood makes it look like it's been in a crash or somethings not right (just my opinion).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm’dc2sc61 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the ceramic coating not working for you? or is it just the turbo thats putting out the heat? why don't you coat the turbine as well? maybe try some water wetter for your system? cowl your hood? im not sure, hope you get the temps down. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The coating is still sticking and working wonderfully. I don't have the turbo coated right now, so I am thinking of coating this as well....it could only help.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also considered tha option but after just 2 min i realized how riced my car would look with that kind of hood

Pm a guy called austrian-typer i believe he did get that kind of hood for his car, check with him how much it improved his temps.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I know it would add to the ricer look, but with soon to be 500whp I don't think people will have much room for **** talking haha. Plus this hood will be getting painted silver to match the rest of the car and not stand out like a sore thumb. If there was a hood with those style vents that were flush on the hood (instead of having that raised edge) I think that would be sooo much cleaner and better looking.....anyone have any ideas of a type of hood like that?

Thanks for that guys name...I'll definitely PM him.