Notices

car won't start, fire comming out IM.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't start, fire comming out IM.

we just finished putting the head back on a ls. we started the car and fire was comming out the intake mani,as in fire ***** and the motor would not start. there is spark and all too. the only thing that we can think of is that when we put on the cam seals, we didn't put the gears back on right and threw off the timing. or possibly the timing is off in general. please give us some advice or opions to what it could be. will not be able to check the timing util tomarrow and would like to try out other options. thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
sal
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't start, fire comming out IM. (Speed Infliction)

Sounds like either timing or valves out of adjustment.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't start, fire comming out IM. (sal)

how do you know if the valves are out of adjustment?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like your timing is WAY off

Your best bet is to put the bottom end at TDC (top dead center), and then realign the cam gears to TDC also.... and see if it still continues to due the same thing.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't start, fire comming out IM. (BoostedEG6)

they are stock cam gears and they only say up. when you say tdc, is that cylinder 1
Old 02-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TDC means that all cylinders all at center, there should be a mark on the crank pully that shows TDC.... and for the Cam gears, they should be pointing up and there is a mark on the sides that should line up. here is a pic that should help

Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the little line on the crank pully should be facing straight up. then you face your cam gears the same way.. so it should look like this

| |
|

the bottom is your crank pully notch and your top are your 2 cam gears. then if its not you timeing then you may have ECU issues.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you think that we did any damage while we were trying to start it. we tryed for a while.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well worse thing you could have done is had valve to piston contact which could have bent a valve but I am sure you would have heard that
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well we aligned the line on the crank towards the arrow on the oil pump.....so is that wrong? is that line suppose to be facing straight up? i mean that would explain it being off of timing that bad...i was just goin by my haynes manual though...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well worse thing you could have done is had valve to piston contact which could have bent a valve but I am sure you would have heard that</TD></TR></TABLE>

ohhh yaa. thats a noise you can't miss.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well we aligned the line on the crank towards the arrow on the oil pump.....so is that wrong? is that line suppose to be facing straight up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No you where right with where you lined it to... well atleast I think so right off the top of my head, if you have the lower cover on there is a mark on there to line it up to....
Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 PM
sal
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TDC means that all cylinders all at center, there should be a mark on the crank pully that shows TDC.... and for the Cam gears, they should be pointing up and there is a mark on the sides that should line up. here is a pic that should help
</TD></TR></TABLE>

TDC stands for top dead center... you should put the motor in time when #1 cylinder (cylinder closest to crank pulley) is at top dead center.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

TDC stands for top dead center</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya dont say

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your best bet is to put the bottom end at TDC (top dead center), and then realign the cam gears to TDC also.... and see if it still continues to due the same thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess people dont like to read do they? and also TDC is all cylinders at center

In the straight-4 configuration, the two end pistons (pistons 1 and 4) reach TDC simultaneously, as do the two centre pistons (pistons 2 and 3), but these two pairs reach TDC with an angular displacement of 180°. Similar patterns are found in almost all straight engines with even numbers of cylinders, with the two end pistons and two middle pistons moving together (not necessarily 180° out of phase however) and the intermediate pistons moving in pairs in mirror-image around the centre of the engine.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 PM
sal
Honda-Tech Member

I definitly skipped over that post lol.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha its all good
Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the firing order is out...
Check your plug wires, if not make sure your dizzy is properly installed.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't start, fire comming out IM. (mtber)

thats what i was gonna say the only time i have seen fire ***** out the mani is when the fire order is wrong.
just go over timing like the other guy told you then make sure the fire order is right
if your looking at the distributor with the plug ens facing you
the bottom left one should go to cylinder one, the one above that one goes to cylinder three, the one next(to the right) three goes to cylinder 4, and the one underneath that one goes to cyl 2
fire order 1 3 4 2
try it out
Old 02-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't start, fire comming out IM. (SIXTY-1HATCH)

thanks guys you have been a lot of help. we should get the car running tonight.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

def sounds like a timing issue. I always stick a long 1/2" drive extension down the #1 cylinder and use it, along with the timing marks to make sure i am at perfect TDC. When the extension it at its highest point, ur at tdc, and your crank lines should be lined up at that point at well... then just get the cams lined up; its easy but can be a bitch for sure

good luck!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

wires installed incorectly
Old 02-08-2007, 02:16 PM

i got all the wires and firing order right....all timing marks were set like the book said....last thing i could think of and wat my buddy told me is that the distributor is on wrong....i didnt think u can install it wrong....but i guess u can....which does make sense too....so ill be tryin it out again tonight and see if it finally lives...
Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BOOSTonU)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BOOSTonU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got all the wires and firing order right....all timing marks were set like the book said....last thing i could think of and wat my buddy told me is that the distributor is on wrong....i didnt think u can install it wrong....but i guess u can....which does make sense too....so ill be tryin it out again tonight and see if it finally lives...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah u can install it wrong if u line it up then tighten it with the bolts to make it flush. It should sit flush with no forcing or tightening required, the bolts just hold it on.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (turbotime)

A while back I tried to help a guy get his LS started after he put cams in it. It would turn over, and occationally backfire out the intake. First, I put the plug wires on correctly (on dizzy in worng pattern), then I got the timing all redone, even adjusted the tensioner (full-loose!), still didn't go. I should have guess the real problem though, based on his lack of skill. I had assumed that he had adjusted the lifters correctly.

If the valves are staying open just a tad, you won't get compression, and occationally you'll ignite the mixture thats being leaked into the intake. BOOM!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

wow dude.....i never thought of that....i reused the rockers off the da i took the head off....but i didnt think to adjust them....i didnt think they could be that off.....the cams im using are out of a 99-00 LS.....dont really know how different they are either.....cause right now its the only thing i could think of.....i went back to my dads to try to start it again tonight and still no luck....flipped the dizzy and even used a lil starter fluid.....shot a huge flame out the intake this time......

Quick Reply: car won't start, fire comming out IM.