Notices

car smoking at idle....major brain teaser!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car smoking at idle....major brain teaser!

ok heres the deal. i have a boosted b16 (rev hard stage 2c kit) and recently it started smoking at idle. like if i sit there a long time (5 min ) smokes comes out the exhaust. ive asked alot of people for they're input and this just doesnt make any sense. my seals are ok,no oil leak nothing. and again it doesnt smoke all the time, just after sitting there for awhile. any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car smoking at idle....major brain teaser! (txspooln)

hmmm. for starters check you oil return line coming off your turbo. Make sure there are no kinks and keep in mind that this line is gravity fed so it has to go from the turbo to the oil pan as smooth as possible.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car smoking at idle....major brain teaser! (Boosted99Si)

My brothers did that, bad turbo seals. Could also be bad valve seals but being your turbo i'd venture to check the turbo first.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:00 PM

i am having the same problem. it smokes on idle but not when driving or the throttle is applied. it wasn't the rings or the sleeves so we have come to the conclusion that it must be the valve seals. we are going to put them in tomorrow so ill see if that works and i will let you know.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:30 PM

yeah my oil line is as straight as possible. i already learned my lesson with that one. but let me know about the valve seals, this is driving me crazy
Old 11-13-2003, 04:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by txspooln &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah my oil line is as straight as possible. i already learned my lesson with that one. but let me know about the valve seals, this is driving me crazy</TD></TR></TABLE>

straight??take a pic for us
Old 11-13-2003, 07:44 AM

ok heres another thing. i had a dip in my oil return ,and i know that it will back up the oil,but could that blow out the seals? ive fixed my oil drain like 2 weeks ago ,but my question is could it have messed up the seals? no oil is coming out of the filter side but i havent checked the exhaust side
Old 11-13-2003, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (txspooln)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by txspooln &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok heres another thing. i had a dip in my oil return ,and i know that it will back up the oil,but could that blow out the seals? ive fixed my oil drain like 2 weeks ago ,but my question is could it have messed up the seals? no oil is coming out of the filter side but i havent checked the exhaust side</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is very possible that it could have messed up the seals I had this problem on my last turbo and while my seals were fine the people I talked to from a couple shops and from Turbonetics said that this could potentially blow out seals.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:18 AM

i kinda figured it might blow the seals. i have another t3/t4 laying around that only has like 200 miles on it, im gonna swap that one in at my lunch break and see if that solves the problem
Old 11-13-2003, 12:42 PM

ok im back again. as i was swapping the turbos an old school mechanic came over and started schooling me on my problem. he said it wasnt the valve seals/wasnt the turbo seals/wasnt the return/but he pointed on that from the look of my plugs it might be to much fuel pressure at idle. so im gonna put everything back and ill let yall know
Old 11-14-2003, 06:45 AM

it wasnt blue it was like whitesh grey color but it did solve the problem. no smoke so far
Old 11-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (txspooln)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by txspooln &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it wasnt blue it was like whitesh grey color but it did solve the problem. no smoke so far</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fuel burns black, so what you're seeing is either faint blue (oil) or white which would indicate you're burning coolant.