Notices

Car running rich on no engine managment

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running rich on no engine managment

Today I got my air/fuel gauge working right and it is runnin rich the at WOT. Im running no fuel managment with no injectors or anything running 8psi. If i keep the it at WOT the car around 5500 will start studdering and backfiring so i let half way off the gas and it starts to pull harder without any backfiring but the air/fuel reads half way between lean and stock, but it pulls harder. So why is my car running bad if im running rich on turbo which is supposed to be a good thing right?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car running rich on no engine managment (turbo-d)

1) Your $30 AFR gauge isn't telling you a thing. Narrowband O2 sensors can only tell you 3 things: You are either rich, lean, or stoich. Besides that, you are in the dark.

2) You are running half a bar of boost with no management at all. That's just stupid.

3) What is likely happening is your ECU is pulling massive amounts of ignition timing to keep you from blowing your motor up. Because of that fuel will get dumped into the exhaust and you will get backfires.

So, my suggestions is to learn what the hell you are doing before you destroy your engine. For goodness sake, running 8 PSI with a FMU is a bad idea but it is 100 times better than what you are doing.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:59 PM

I know its real stupid and my car has been sitting for a month for that reason. But i just now got my afg on and was just curious to see the readings and my car running rich didnt make since to me. So ive been saving up for a vafc controler for a month, should that be good for 8psi with some timing taken off of the dizzy? thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo-d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know its real stupid and my car has been sitting for a month for that reason. But i just now got my afg on and was just curious to see the readings and my car running rich didnt make since to me. So ive been saving up for a vafc controler for a month, should that be good for 8psi with some timing taken off of the dizzy? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>'

Did you read what Beepy wrote? Your a/f guage is junk. Get a wideband so you have a clue what your a/f is and you don't blow your motor. That is if you already didn't do damage to it.