Notices

Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!!

Specs:
98 Integra GS-R w/GReddy 18G Turbo Kit 3" Downpipe
81.5mm bore
CP 9:1 Pistons
Eagle Rods
Stock Head
Stock Head Gasket
750cc Saturated Injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel pump
Stock Fuel Pressure Regulator 50 psi @ idle, 60 psi with vac line off
GM 3 Bar Map Sensor but running of Stock Map Sensor
NGK BK7 Spark Plugs gapped @ .30"
NGK Blue Spark Plug Wires
M-300 Wideband
Base Timing Set @ 16*
Chipped p28 ECU w/Hondata S300 Integra Base Map
Running in Open Loop

I have searched for this problem but know one had a solution that worked for me

Problem:
First Problem: When i start my car it idles up to about 1300-1400 rpms like it susposed to then it drops back down to like 1000 rpms where it goes up and down within about 200-300 rpms like i have a vaccum leak. I have search and search and i cant find a leak any where so i dont think its a vaccum leak. This happens with or without the IACV plugged up. When it finally stops surging it starts to misfire. I have no CEL's and i think it is missing on all the cylinders not just one.

Second Problem: My A/F leans out no matter how much fuel i give it. If I rev it up and hold it at any rpms it goes lean and breaks up. I have the correct compensations in my base map and it still doesnt run right. All Injectors and spark plugs are firing. I have changed my dizzy and problem still exsist. My cams and crank are all lined up, also valves are adjusted properly. I have tried another ecu and still the same problem. Tried to narrow it down to a cylinder but it seems to be doing it on all cylinders. It seems to me that something is pulling the fuel or something is not timed right. I can get a datalog file or a vid you you'll need it just let me know. I need help i cant figure this out and know one i know can either. The random thing is i have never gotten a check engine light. If anymore information is need just post it or pm me and i will give the info. I am going to do a leakdown test today to see if it can tell me anything

Thanks to All in advance
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!! (skrigz)

Sounds like the MAP sensor to me... you didn't by any chance reverse the TPS/MAP plugs did you? Doublecheck the MAP sensor wiring and ohm it out as per the manual. Or just run datalogging and see what MAP values you're seeing.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!! (raene)

Sometimes when a tps goes bad it doesnt throw a check engine light. If you hook it up to a scanner you can see the throttle percentages. With the pedal all the way down, it should be at 100%. When you step on the gas of a car with a malfunctioning tps, when your throttle percentage is suppose to read 75% it may be reading 45%, therefore throwing everything off. I would defiently check this.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!! (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like the MAP sensor to me... you didn't by any chance reverse the TPS/MAP plugs did you? Doublecheck the MAP sensor wiring and ohm it out as per the manual. Or just run datalogging and see what MAP values you're seeing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have tried hooking up my 3 bar map sensor and it does the same thing
]<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes when a tps goes bad it doesnt throw a check engine light. If you hook it up to a scanner you can see the throttle percentages. With the pedal all the way down, it should be at 100%. When you step on the gas of a car with a malfunctioning tps, when your throttle percentage is suppose to read 75% it may be reading 45%, therefore throwing everything off. I would defiently check this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My tps reads ok in hondata, when i step on it, it reads 100% and when i let it off it reads 0%
Old 07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!! (hotimportcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skrigz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My tps reads ok in hondata, when i step on it, it reads 100% and when i let it off it reads 0%</TD></TR></TABLE>

Problem #1 - what's your AFRs at idle? The lower your compression and the lest timing you run the more fuel you need to put into the cylinder to have a complete fire. If you don't put enough fuel in the cylinders the fuel particles will be too spaced out and not ignite each other, causing that misfire. Good ways to fix it are to run a bit more timing at idle to keep leaner AFRs or to just richen the mixture until you get good complete fires.

Problem #2 - I'm assuming you have "closed loop" in parameters checked OFF. Otherwise your car keeps going into closed loop and the adjustments you make won't make a lick of a difference.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!! (SovXietday)

Mine will do that if it's not getting enough fuel at idle. My car likes to be around 10.5-11.5:1 at idle or it will have a lean miss.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Problem #1 - what's your AFRs at idle? The lower your compression and the lest timing you run the more fuel you need to put into the cylinder to have a complete fire. If you don't put enough fuel in the cylinders the fuel particles will be too spaced out and not ignite each other, causing that misfire. Good ways to fix it are to run a bit more timing at idle to keep leaner AFRs or to just richen the mixture until you get good complete fires.

Problem #2 - I'm assuming you have "closed loop" in parameters checked OFF. Otherwise your car keeps going into closed loop and the adjustments you make won't make a lick of a difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rgr that good info, i am running 18.5* at idle, i took my plugs out and they tell me that i am running rich but my A/F is saying lean. i will try to lower my timing and add more fuel
Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skrigz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Rgr that good info, i am running 18.5* at idle, i took my plugs out and they tell me that i am running rich but my A/F is saying lean. i will try to lower my timing and add more fuel</TD></TR></TABLE>

No need to lower the timing, just add a bit more fuel and see if it goes away.

Other than that, are you positive that your wideband is working correctly?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No need to lower the timing, just add a bit more fuel and see if it goes away.

Other than that, are you positive that your wideband is working correctly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea it is working correctly. i have tried to add more fuel, and it richens up then it goes lean again.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Morning bump
Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skrigz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skrigz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Morning bump</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try posting over on the Hondata forums, they're generally pretty quick about answering questions for you. It sounds like it's a software hiccup.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as i am on the gas it doesnt break-up but as soon as a stop or hold it, it starts to break up
Old 07-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Man this problem is weird, when i only run off of cylinders 2 & 3 or 1 & 4 my car runs fine. the a/f is stable and no misfiring but if i run off of 3 or more cylinders it starts to misfire and the A/F goes crazy. anyone ever heard of a problem like this?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bugged s300 maybe??
Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hotimportcrx)

i have tried another ecu running a crome map and it still did the samething
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is your FPR any good? i had that problem awhile back and the FPR was **** dont know how but it was. just a thought.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FaceTuned)

i will try another one, thx for the info
Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 AM

where u able to fix the problem?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BEST1TUNING.COM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BEST1TUNING.COM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where u able to fix the problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope still havent figured out the problem yet
Old 07-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know someone out there has seen or had a problem like this before...?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for info
Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 AM

did you check your firmware for the s300??
Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackCRX)

Maybe the ECU socketing job is shitty cracked solder joint lifted track etc. etc..

try someone elses S300 with your tune loaded
Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B20luda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you check your firmware for the s300??</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20luda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe the ECU socketing job is shitty cracked solder joint lifted track etc. etc..

try someone elses S300 with your tune loaded </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have tried another ecu running Crome and it done the same thing i dont think my ecu is bad, and i just got it back from hondata b/c of the firmware
Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Shooting Star

have you compression tested your motor lately? try that.

Quick Reply: Car leaning out and misfiring NEED HELP ASAP!!