Notices

Car getting hot (overheating) at idle... but the Temp/ECT is perfectly fine while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car getting hot (overheating) at idle... but the Temp/ECT is perfectly fine while driving?

While driving... the ECT is steady at 185-186. The car runs perfectly fine with no smoke out the muffler. When i pull over and let the car idle, the ETC starts to creep up... eventually up past 200 within 5 minutes. Then white smoke starts to go out muffler. The smoke is white and doesnt come out thick, but its noticeable.

The car is not losing any coolant and my coolant overflow tank stays the same while driving. I tripled check everything under the hood and i cannot find any leaks. What is the problem here? i am hoping its not a headgasket.

The motor is a built K20A2 in a 2000 Civic Hatchback with about 1200 miles. I am using an OEM headgasket and and a Koyo radiator
Old 05-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Car getting hot (overheating) at idle... but the Temp/ECT is perfectly fine while driving? (boos

your fan might not be coming on. park it, let it sit for a few minutes see if your fan comes on or not
Old 05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the fan is working and is always on at idle.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (boostedK20a2)

I had this same problem when my battery was bad diming light at night when I rev the motor up more than idle same thing with my ac/heater fan bc the battery was old so it didnt have much power so when I rev up the alternator would help to the battery
Old 05-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBO-WAWA)

Ok weird thing just happened.

The problem started last night. This morning i drove the car again and the same thing happened. Since it was Sunday, i figured my engine/builder tuner was taking a day off so i sent him an email. To my suprise, he emails me back and tells me to drop off the car so he can check it out.

Just to make sure i was still having the problem, i let the car idle again and the ECT creeped up like before. It did so i drove 15+ miles to his shop.. parked and left the car idling. It idled for like 15-20 minutes and the ECT stayed steady at 187!!! Just to make sure, i drove the car around and let it idled again. ECT stayed at 187-189. No more overheating.

I hope this problem doesnt come back. Itll be really annoying if its an on and off problem that happens once in awhile

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBO-WAWA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had this same problem when my battery was bad diming light at night when I rev the motor up more than idle same thing with my ac/heater fan bc the battery was old so it didnt have much power so when I rev up the alternator would help to the battery </TD></TR></TABLE>

My fan is wired up to stay on the whole time the car is on
Old 05-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (boostedK20a2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedK20a2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My fan is wired up to stay on the whole time the car is on</TD></TR></TABLE>

my fan is too , the thing is when ur engine is at low RPM's the alternator is too so it doesnt help very much to the battery therefore ur fan doesnt have all the power it needs to run the fan quick enough to cool the engine so if the battery is old or is damaged things like this would happen , samething happens to most of the electrical stuff in ur car like a heater fan , headlights, interiro lights they dime when u rev up a little bit , blha blah blha ,,,

if it keeps overheating do this

adjust ur idle like around 1500 to 2000 rpms and see if it overheats again if so !get a new battery

Old 05-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBO-WAWA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBO-WAWA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my fan is too , the thing is when ur engine is at low RPM's the alternator is too so it doesnt help very much to the battery therefore ur fan doesnt have all the power it needs to run the fan quick enough to cool the engine so if the battery is old or is damaged things like this would happen , samething happens to most of the electrical stuff in ur car like a heater fan , headlights, interiro lights they dime when u rev up a little bit , blha blah blha ,,,

if it keeps overheating do this

adjust ur idle like around 1500 to 2000 rpms and see if it overheats again if so !get a new battery

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh.. thanks for clearing it up. My battery is old but i think its still good. Ill will try raising the idle to see if overheats again..

i was lost at your previous post. i thought to myself, "why is this guy talking about the battery when my car is overheating" now i understand what you are saying