Notices

Car dosen't run right when its hot out?!?!HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dosen't run right when its hot out?!?!HELP!!

I'm having an issue with my b18c1 Turbo Charged Civic. If the weather is hot out, 90's or so, my car tends to get sluggish just before the change from vacume to boost. Around 10-8 psi Vacume. As soon as I get boost the Car is running good and accelerating. I'm running a Vortech Fuel presure riser for my FMU. Has anyone ever ran into this before? I put a Fuel presure guage on it yesterday but the temperature got to cool out and it never did the problem.

Its been a problem for a while. Watching my fuel ratio guage you can see it lean out and then as soon as it sees boost it shoots to rich.

BTW. At full boost I'm showing 100 PSI. Is that uncalled for?!?!?! I have an aftermarket hi preasure walboro pump.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car dosen't run right when its hot out?!?!HELP!! (primerk5)

ditch the FMU, get bigger injectors and tune with crome, ectune, hondata, neptune etc
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Car dosen't run right when its hot out?!?!HELP!! (boosted k20)

Well thats the plan for the future, Right now I need my car to run right. It used to run fine. I don't want to burn it up while im driving it as its my Daily Driver now. Plus I'm going to NC Outerbanks this weekend so I need to get this straightend out asap. I'm just trying to see if anyone had similar experiences and what solved it.
Other than a tune. As there is not time for that.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only way to fix it and be able to keep it a daily driver is to tune it. running 10 psi without a tune is a ticking time bomb in my opinion
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM

I hate to say it - but the reason your car is running sluggish when it's hot out is because you have a cheap fuel solution.

The fuel solution you have is not very adjustable and you probably have very rich spots along your rpm.

Hot temps make the car even richer - so you add the two and you have a very sluggish car.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Car dosen't run right when its hot out?!?!HELP!! (cjordan)

I don't boost any more than 6 psi. I also have plenty of fuel from what I can tell through all RPMs. The problem is occuring before the FMU takes over. I wish there was a way to keep boost from occuring(Disable the Turbo so it dosen't apply presure.) and Unhook the FMU and see how it runs stock. Removing the Turbo isn't an easy task. I can't understand why this only occurs when its hot out. If was overfueling It should be fowling out my plugs wouldn't it? I should get black smoke also. (Which I don't) I was thinking of it being more of a lack of fuel issue since my Air/Fuel guage is reading totally lean at the point of sluggish. And then runs great in boost.

I will get it tuned before long. This just became My daily driver recently so I'm wishing I had it tuned long ago. There is no way I can get an appointment anyhow before I leave for the beach. I guess I'll just hope for cool weather for the trip down and back. Since this only occurs during really hot weather it makes it difficult to diagnose. I really don't think the FMU is the problem, but I'm not ruling it out until I don't see a drop in fuel presure when the sluggishness occurs.

beleive me guys, I want this thing tuned. Just don't have the time. trying to figure out the problem at hand.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM

Understood - but what we're saying is that the problem is you're not tuned.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what are you useing to read air/fuel do u have a wideband, you need it tuned it will never run right, did you gap the plugs down to about .28 if not do it but i wouldnt drive it untuned
Old 08-21-2008, 02:14 AM

I don't know from personal experience because I live in Hawaii and our temp's don't change that much. But I think what people are saying is that with a proper engine management software you'd be able to tune your car for those hotter days. I use crome and I know there is a setting to adjust the fuel map according to IAT's (Intake Air Temps). So it'll adjust your fuel map according to the temperature outside, whether it's hold or cold. Like I said, I don't use this part of the software so i don't know if it's your problem. But I can understand what everyone is trying to say.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car dosen't run right when its hot out?!?!HELP!! (asianspeed)

The problem with your question is there's no real information to go off of. To say it gets sluggish could mean many things. At minimum, get a wideband in your car and simulate the condition to see exactly what's happening.

Without any info your pissin in the wind. If you want a daily driver, but have no "time" to tune it...sell it and get a swapped car with a simpler setup.