Notices

CAR BACKFIRES MISSES BUCKING LIKE CRAZY! Car Barely Runs When In Throttle, Out of Knowwhere!!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:04 AM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAR BACKFIRES MISSES BUCKING LIKE CRAZY! Car Barely Runs When In Throttle, Out of Knowwhere!!!!

Ive got an 88 Crx si, d16a6 motor with some internal work and a turbo kit. Running turboedit and dsm 450 cc injectors with a gm 3 bar map sensor
I was just out tuning the car and I went back out and the car idled fine but as soon as you give it ANY throttle the thing just sounds crazy with the backfiring and the car bucks like a mothef f-er

What could have possible gone wrong? Like went from mint to completely toast in 2 seconds

Old 06-29-2006, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CAR BACKFIRES MISSES BUCKING LIKE CRAZY! Car Barely Runs When In Throttle, Out of Knowwhere!!!!

dude this sounds a lot like what happened to me, turns out i had forgot to tighten the battery tie down when i messed with it to install fuel pump. when i gave it throttle the battery would fall back and the positive terminal was hitting the firewall and making the car "buck" and backfire like what you are saying. at night i could see the sparks coming out from under the hood, it burned right thru the damn firewall. anyways, just something to check i reckon
Old 06-29-2006, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MSD?

is it doing this with THROTTLE or doing it with throttle + LOAD? Does it rev up in nutural fine?

load + backfiring can = weak ignition and it could still idle like a champ. You could have fried your plugs while tuning? I keep kicking myself for not taking picks of an old set of plugs I had while tuning my old nitrous setup..

The first thing I do when I have a problem like this is grab a dist + wires from a friend and see what gives. you can change the plugs while you're at it too. It's an easy way to check most of your FI system right off the bat - it rules out so many posibilities..

Here's a quick check for your map sensor.

Wire/ GM Code/ Honda Wire Colour

GND/ A/ Green/White
MAP signal/ B/ White
5V/ C/ Yellow/Red

With the ignition switch on but the engine not running the GM 3 BAR MAP sensor should read 1.6V. (All voltages are correct for sea level - at higher altitudes the voltage will be lower.)

Modified by 2point2 at 5:48 AM 6/29/2006
Old 06-29-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Re: (2point2)

Battery is connected fine

I guess I will pull the plugs, sure they can be fouled, I am and have been running dam rich

If those are ok would it be a good checo to throw in a distributor? Ive never done one but ive got 2 spares
Old 06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
bag

Default Re: (PINKS)

Did a good tuner tune it?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: (bag)

Myself with turboedit

Car was running absolutely mint with the 3 bar, only had one rough spot @ 1600rpm at 14 vacuum, so I added 20% fuel went out for a drive and the car went nuts from startup, so I burned the old map and even a previous map and both went crazy like this

The wideband when Im driving, while bucking at going ******* nuts, never crosses 12.2:1

I dont know what else would cause a car to go crazy like this

Honestly Im sure people reported some gunshots with the pure loudness of the gunshots this exhaust was spilling
Old 06-29-2006, 03:08 PM
bag

Default Re: (PINKS)

You tuned it? thats probably the problem cause all the threads and questions you ask on here are always stupid and obviously dont know much about tuning cars...No offense..but why not bring it to a tuner
Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bag)

because he wants to save a couple hundred dollars while learning on a couple thousand dollar setup
Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR BACKFIRES MISSES BUCKING LIKE CRAZY! Car Barely Runs When In Throttle, Out of Knowwhere!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PINKS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What could have possible gone wrong? Like went from mint to completely toast in 2 seconds

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am sorry about your troubles, but this statement made me lol.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 PM

pulled the sparkplugs

OIL OOZING on the #3 plug, not just wet, like a ****** puddle was made where I put the plug

Aparently the gaskets are a fairly common repair between the head and the grommet that seals the spark plug, I'll throw some high temp silicone there now and see what happens